Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 07:04 PM

379 posts, read 286,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by philopower View Post
can't tell if being sarcastic
It is obvisouly sarcasm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Houston was a mosquito infested swamp founded by real estate developers.

Later there was Herman Park and the park at City Hall. Whatever amenities to be enjoyed by the public were given to the city by people getting rich here.

True, there were street cars and busses. The hep had to get to work.

By the 60s, park space was so spare, they counted the Astrodome parking lot as open space in order to meet federal guidelines.

If everyone in the Harris, Ft. Bend and Montgomery counties wanted to live in your genteel, walkable city, where would you put them?
They are called high rises and skyscrapers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton Miteybad View Post
I couldn't help but agree that the OP probably needs to consider finding a place to live that is more suited to his/her tastes, however questionable those may be.
Chemistry. I may not be fond of how Houston is currently; doesn't mean I want to leave it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 08:03 PM

8,891 posts, read 19,875,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickelsTX View Post
Sprawl happened/is happening mainly due to safety. Who would want to raise a family in such a violent and crime ridden place? People would have never left the city if it weren't for the degenerate ghetto trash and illegals taking over.

BTW Reddit is full of retards, unenlightened momma's boys and teenage brats.
Actually as the inner city revitalizes, the crime is being pushed out and moving to the suburbs. I find the inner loop to be as safe, If not more so, the a lot of our suburbs.

Old 07-12-2016, 08:15 PM

2,359 posts, read 1,024,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wipe0ut2020

They are called high rises and skyscrapers.
But of course. Go ahead a build yourself a few, and you can live in one if you like.

Or you can choose from any number that have already been built.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wipe0ut2020

Chemistry. I may not be fond of how Houston is currently; doesn't mean I want to leave it.
A sentiment at odds, we must note, with the tenor of your opening post.

If you plan to stay, you'll want to find some way of dealing with your Houston surroundings that simply are not going to change at the flash of a petulant whim.

You'll probably get used to the place eventually.

Or not. Makes no difference to me, of course. I'm not the one complaining about it.

Old 07-12-2016, 08:25 PM

Quote:
But of course. Go ahead a build yourself a few, and you can live in one if you like.

Or you can choose from any number that have already been built.
The poster was just wondering where people would be put if they all wanted to live in the central city, then I gave the answer. As existing high-rises/skyscapers fill up, if more people want to live in central city, then more and more high-rises/skyscrapers will be built.

Quote:
A sentiment at odds, we must note, with the tenor of your opening post.
No it wasn't; I even mentioned hope for Houston correcting mistakes it has made in my OP. While such mistakes the city made are infuriating, on the other hand, they can be made up, even corrected, as long as the will exists.

Quote:
If you plan to stay, you'll want to find some way of dealing with your Houston surroundings that simply are not going to change at the flash of a petulant whim.

You'll probably get used to the place eventually.

Or not. Makes no difference to me, of course. I'm not the one complaining about it.
A movement will rise from the depths of the city, and it shall change...

Old 07-12-2016, 09:03 PM

1,011 posts, read 967,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wipe0ut2020 View Post
I may not be fond of how Houston is currently; doesn't mean I want to leave it.
You say that Houston is a subtropical paradise yet you are currently not fond of it. Intriguing...

Old 07-12-2016, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3shipguy View Post
You say that Houston is a subtropical paradise yet you are currently not fond of it. Intriguing...
1.) I have no idea what you are talking about; perhaps you have me confused with someone else?

2.) Even if I was the poster you suspect I am:

- a.) This topic is strictly about the built environment/city mentality of historic Houston vs current Houston, not about the landscape/climate.

- b.) It would be a red herring in regards to the discussion at hand, and, thus, irrelevant.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:17 PM

1,636 posts, read 1,212,950 times
Quote:
1.) I have no idea what you are talking about; perhaps you have me confused with someone else?

2.) Even if I was the poster you suspect I am:
Hang it up yo. Everyone knows you're the 17th incarnation of the subtropical paradise brother who keeps getting banned.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detachable arm View Post
Hang it up yo. Everyone knows you're the 17th incarnation of the subtropical paradise brother who keeps getting banned.
Even if I was, it is besides the point of the thread at hand.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:56 PM

2,359 posts, read 1,024,380 times
Quote:

A movement will rise from the depths of the city, and it shall change...
Riiiiiiiiiight. (Insert "Okey-dokey" emoji here.)

Look, pal...in case it hasn't dawned on you, we couldn't care less how you did things wherever you're from.

Toodles!

Old 07-12-2016, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Riiiiiiiiiight. (Insert "Okey-dokey" emoji here.)

Look, pal...in case it hasn't dawned on you, we couldn't care less how you did things wherever you're from.

Toodles!
No matter. The movement will still grow regardless, made up of those who do care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston