Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 08:08 AM

43 posts, read 49,792 times

Advertisements

I am planning to buy a >600K house and looking for a buyer's agent gives some of his/her commission back to the buyers (up to 2%). I found several websites that claim doing that as long as you are a prepared buyer. Do you have any experience working with these companies? Are they too good to be true?

Eagle Realty Discount Flat Fee MLS | For Sale by Owner | Houston, TX

https://www.flatfeegroup.com/Texas/

Houston Texas 2% new Home Buyer commission Rebate and Rebate Realtor 2% Cash Back.

https://usrealty.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 08:17 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,985,290 times
Redfin. Very satisfied with them.

Old 07-14-2016, 09:34 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,267,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berkeleyan View Post
I am planning to buy a >600K house and looking for a buyer's agent gives some of his/her commission back to the buyers (up to 2%). I found several websites that claim doing that as long as you are a prepared buyer. Do you have any experience working with these companies? Are they too good to be true?

Eagle Realty Discount Flat Fee MLS | For Sale by Owner | Houston, TX

https://www.flatfeegroup.com/Texas/

Houston Texas 2% new Home Buyer commission Rebate and Rebate Realtor 2% Cash Back.

https://usrealty.com/
Be prepared to run into quite a bit of headwind from the Listing agents as well as the title companies. Rebates are 100% allowed in Texas but because they do not occur often, the way they are applied can have a big impact on whether or not you get the rebate if you are also getting financing.

For example - Im going to use even numbers here....but say you buy a $100,000 house and you are supposed to get a rebate of 2% or $2000....but you need a conventional loan for say 80%. The rebate can be applied one of two ways:

1) reduction of the purchase price in lieu of commission - the listing agent has to agree and 99/100 will NOT agree to this because their Brokers prohibit it and it lowers the comparable sales on the MLS.

2) Rebate from the buyers agent....This is the normal method...but there is a big catch here...Nearly ALL banks will NOT allow any cash TO the buyer from anyone to exceed 6% of the total cost....Ok - we are still fine, right?

Well, lets say that during inspections you find $6,000 in damages that need to be corrected and the seller does not want to fix it himself, (most do not) and wants to do cash in lieu of repairs. MOST realtors will refuse to adjust the sale price down b/c it affects their comps, but they are happy to do cash in lieu of repair....so the Seller is now contributing $6,000 to the Buyer at closing, which is 6% which means now that your Agent is forbidden by the LENDER (not law) from contributing his commission to you.

I do lots of rebates for my friends/family but I have run into all of the roadblocks....whether it is the bank or the listing agents broker - both seem intent on preventing rebates.

Old 07-14-2016, 12:28 PM

Thank you for reply Marksmu. I will buy at least $600,000 house. 2% rebate from the real estate agent adds up to $12,000. 6% is $36,000. I will still have $24,000 for repairs which should be enough in most cases.

Old 07-14-2016, 05:51 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,514,775 times
I've also used Redfin as a buyers agent and been happy (another state). If you've already found your house, or are at least capable of finding it yourself, and don't need a lot of hand-holding, they're great.

Old 07-15-2016, 09:44 AM

1,743 posts, read 3,822,035 times
They can just cut you a check and 1099 you to avoid closing cost, HUD issues.

Old 07-15-2016, 10:00 AM

1,237 posts, read 2,020,071 times
I don't know how redfin does it, but they just sent me a check and a letter accompanying it saying a 1099 would not be issued as they had received a favorable ruling stating it did not have to be reported as income to the buyer. I can't find the letter at the moment but it was something to that effect.

They don't rebate 2% though. Closer to 1% and it's been going down gradually as they gain a foothold in the Houston market.

Old 07-15-2016, 10:08 AM

16 posts, read 18,674 times
I have used Stuart in the past and it worked great...

Stuart B. Scholer - Houston Texas Discount Real Estate Agent offers New Home Rebates, 2.5% Cash Back, Realtor Commission Rebates.

Old 07-16-2016, 12:09 PM

377 posts, read 1,346,297 times
I never understood why the seller has to pay commission for BOTH seller agent and buyer agent. Let seller pay 3% to his agent for the work his agent does. If the buyer is requiring the service of a realtor, then let the buyer hire one and pay for it from the buyer pocket. If the buyer does not want arelator service for one of the biggest purchases in his life, he can do my himself. No money spend. No Problem.

Old 07-19-2016, 11:28 AM

I totally agree with you wheretogo. Such a confusing and archaic system. Let the buyers pay for his/her realtor. It does not make sense to give all the power to seller's agent. Also, the sell price is not reported to HCAD so nobody knows how much a house is sold for. This confusing and non transparent system is greatly benefiting the realtors. If we did not have such a confusing system, technology would already take over and make the system very fast and efficient. Look at the huge drop in commissions for buying and selling stocks over the years because of technology. We need similar transformation in real estate transactions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: