Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 06:13 AM

480 posts, read 1,698,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston321 View Post
There is a reason that many of the builders are going away from the built-in pest control:
1) It really isn't a huge feature, the vendor charges $50 cost to the builder to install it in the frame. They nail the customer on the quarterly fee after they close.
2) Questionable results. How can you determine if there is a hole in the line? How can you determine it is truly effective. May complaints about this

There is also a reason some builders don't use PEX. Now, I will admit, PEX has come a long way, but some builders are hesitant to only go with proven systems over time. PEX...in the past...has had issues due to the numerous connections with leaking, connection failures, rodent menacing. But, it has come a long way and I think it will be used more and more.

My AW-built home is now just over 5 yeas old. We've had no problem with our PEX piping system or the TAEXX system (in-wall pest control) that were installed. We do believe the TAEXX works for insect control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 03:06 PM

1 posts, read 3,069 times
I see Southern Trail post from 2008. However, when I go to the Ashtonwood website they're still advertising Ashtonwood homes in Southern Trail. Perhaps it's a new extension to old southern trail?

I just moved from NY and planning to buy a home in Pearland and haven't met the builder yet. I'm planning to visit model homes this weekend. Any advise?

Old 06-17-2014, 03:10 PM

480 posts, read 1,698,829 times
Yes, AW is still selling new homes in new sections of Southern Trails. They have models open there too.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:36 AM

26 posts, read 50,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBuyer20144 View Post
I see Southern Trail post from 2008. However, when I go to the Ashtonwood website they're still advertising Ashtonwood homes in Southern Trail. Perhaps it's a new extension to old southern trail?

I just moved from NY and planning to buy a home in Pearland and haven't met the builder yet. I'm planning to visit model homes this weekend. Any advise?
As first time homebuyers we recently went through the building process with AWH. We did many comparisons with communities and builders and decided to go with AWH here due to "more bang for the buck" kinda deal they were offering in terms of the upgrades. Though I'm not very happy with the building process and the staff from sales to construction manager to mortgage consultant (used car salesman - pun intended), we love the home so all forgiven. With that said, not sure abt trendmaker, but I do notice perry homes has the ability to build much faster than AWH. Consult with your realtor or if you don't have one, message me & I will pass my realtor info.

Old 06-22-2014, 12:13 PM

1 posts, read 2,968 times
Default Not worth your time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rathipriya View Post
Does anybody own a Ashton woods home in Houston, TX? I'm planning to consider this builder, but need some reviews about how good or bad their house quality is. Please give me your ideas.

Thanks.
I build a house with Ashton Woods Homes, Houston/Katy area, earlier this year (2014) in Firethorne. I have to say I love the floor plan of my house, but I hate the builder warranty and building material.

I lived in my house for 6 months now, and I'm not happy at all!!! Most of the answer I got from them is
1) "Is already done, too late to change anything."
2) "If we fix it, it wouldn't look good and it would mess up other part."
3) "It not us, it the sub-contractor!"

I try the warranty tickets so many times, it take them avg 1 months to get back to you.
For example, all my cabinets got paint, dents and scratches it took them 7 tries to get someone over to my house. Which I caught before I went to close on the house. The first 4 times they say the old construction manager never mention anything. The rest of the time, it the cabinets company.

Next ticket, the doors. All the exterior door have a big gap, they sent someone over really fast this time, because I was Bi Tching about how bad the serves is. But it won't close property now. Sent ticket in three time, talk to them by email all weeks. IT WAS A NO SHOW!!!.

I can go on and on, but you have an idea. To me Ashton Woods Home quality is no better than KB Homes, and everyone know how bad KB Homes are!

If you like to write warranty tickets and waste your time waiting for them, Ashton Woods Home is for you!

Old 06-22-2014, 03:08 PM

702 posts, read 1,236,429 times
To be fair, the builder is responsible, but they're only as good as their contractors. The builder doesn't have a jack of all trades handyman who comes out and fixes anything. When you file a warranty request, they pass it on to the company they used to install it. From that point, it's up to that company to send someone out and fix any issues you're having.

For example, I had a problem with the tiles in my home. The builder put in a request to the tile company they used. 3 weeks went by and no one contacted me or came by, so I asked my construction manager for the name of the company. I personally called them, explained the situation and a week later I had someone out repairing the tile.

Old 08-02-2014, 04:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,851 times
Ashton wood homes is a quality builder, but what I realized from my home and from others in the community is that they do not do the final items before the closing, there will always be some items left.
Their warranty service (1Yr) is quite bad (or atleast in my commuity, katy). The Quality reps are the same as the building guys, and they are very defensive when you raise issues. From warranty point of view I am extremely dissatisfied. This is the response I have from other residents in the community as well.

Old 08-02-2014, 07:47 PM

702 posts, read 1,236,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Na95 View Post
Ashton wood homes is a quality builder, but what I realized from my home and from others in the community is that they do not do the final items before the closing, there will always be some items left.
Their warranty service (1Yr) is quite bad (or atleast in my commuity, katy). The Quality reps are the same as the building guys, and they are very defensive when you raise issues. From warranty point of view I am extremely dissatisfied. This is the response I have from other residents in the community as well.
How does that make them a quality builder if they don't do the final items before closing, nor do they fix warranty issues within the first year? I'd have to say I love my builder because of that. They've fixed every little thing I've complained about so far, even a door hinge. Yes, a door hinge. The warranty person himself came out and replaced it.

Old 08-02-2014, 09:46 PM

143 posts, read 188,609 times
Quote:
Does anybody own a Ashton woods home in Houston, TX? I'm planning to consider this builder, but need some reviews about how good or bad their house quality is. Please give me your ideas.

Thanks.
I used to own an Ashton Woods home in New Territory for 14 years. They are a quality home builder and I liked them a lot. I looked at some other model homes in the area at that time and found that Ashton Woods homes had better water heaters, applicances, and construction materials (i.e. plywood decking and stair cases, etc.), and finally settled in one of their plans. I have never had any major work on the builder furnished water heater other than yearly maintenance. It has been more than a few years which I have not seen a new Ashton Woods home, so I can't tell whether they have the same business model or mentality to build quality homes. My overall impression with Ashton Woods is very favorable.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:33 PM

1 posts, read 2,549 times
Default Foundation at 10 months

Quote:

Thanks.
Ashton Woods Home is a dream killer!!! My wife and I put everything we got into building our house with Ashton Woods Home in Firethorne, Katy TX in 2013. We fall in love with the Addison floor plan. There were many thing that we wish Ashton Woods Home would do and make standard like Perry Homes. Ashton Woods Home suppose to be a mid-level home, but in my option, it worst than KB Homes and Centex Homes. A lot of problems from KB Homes, I got it with Ashton Woods Homes.

Every since I moved in the house, it always waiting for them to come repair my house. I have to take so many Friday off to sit at home waiting for them to come. Like two week ago, they schedule the granite people come in at 8, he didn't show up till 3:30. I have to deal with stuff like this all year long.

The biggest problem I have with Ashton Woods Home is that, at 10 months I have foundation problem. There a long linear crack from the back patio into my living room. There are so shear pressure along the two edge of the house. At 10 months, it already start showing foundation problem. They got in structure come to look at it, he say and I quot "Right now it too small to call it foundation, within 6 months it could become foundation problem if the house doesn't stop moving. But something like this should not happen to a new house."

If I were you, I would stay away from Ashton Woods Home. They promise you a lot, but they don't want to keep they promise, until you get mean and ugly. Then maybe they keep they promise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston