Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 03:05 PM

2,756 posts, read 3,807,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbc0815 View Post
The disclosure was after I signed the contract so we already agreed on the sale price. But I didn't find out further information until last night after I requested the repair documentation.
What? You signed a contract before looking over the seller's disclosure?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2016, 03:19 PM

130 posts, read 134,917 times
Oops...scratch that! I did read the disclosure before signing, idk what I wrote that. But as I've said in my original post, I had no idea the damage was that big and to be honest had no grasp of what's acceptable and what's scary. I did ask for documentation of repairs after reading the disclosure but my agent said that's something we do during the option period. We're still in our option period and I just learned about the severity of the damage last night.

Old 07-20-2016, 03:25 PM

225 posts, read 519,803 times
sounds like the agent wanted you to sign immediately to get the ball rolling on their 3% commission. do you have an option clause in the contract where you can pay the fee and get your earnest money back?.. of course only if you want to back out..

I wouldn't be too concerned with the past damage. maybe you can get a mold inspection done for peace of mind?

Old 07-20-2016, 03:28 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,812,030 times
For a minute there I thought you were talking about the house I sold in Katy. We had our water heater fail in the middle of the night and woke up to water all over the place. Our insurance contacted Serv-Pro to do the repairs. It came to $22k.

Old 07-20-2016, 04:05 PM

23,971 posts, read 15,075,178 times
If it was a water heater and the damage has been repaired by Serv Pro, what's to worry about.

That's what happens when builders put water heaters in the attic. Just wait till the HVAC drain stops up and you are out of the country like happened to two of my neighbors.

It is all over Houston.

Old 07-20-2016, 06:11 PM

130 posts, read 134,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by right View Post
sounds like the agent wanted you to sign immediately to get the ball rolling on their 3% commission. do you have an option clause in the contract where you can pay the fee and get your earnest money back?.. of course only if you want to back out..

I wouldn't be too concerned with the past damage. maybe you can get a mold inspection done for peace of mind?
That's the Option Period that I'm talking about. I paid $100 for the option to back out of the contract within that 10-day period and get my earnest money back. My agent said that we couldn't have got those repair records before our offer was accepted.

As for mold inspection (or any further inspection for matter), we're on our 8th day of the option period so there's no more time left.

Old 07-20-2016, 06:37 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,919,856 times
You're asking folks on the internet that have never seen the house, many never even seen Houston, about water damage to a house. You had an inspector look it over and he's telling you it's okay. So what kind of response on the forum were you expecting? As a certified mold inspector in Texas, you don't need to waste the money for a mold inspection. If there was mold after 2 years it would have been real obvious to even you. Mold requires several things to live and in the case of a water heater leak, the water. Once the water is gone, so is the mold. Mold has been grossly over hyped which is why claims are limited in Texas. If you have questions about the house, ask your inspector, at least he's seen the house. One of the questions I would be asking is why the water damage when the water heater, by code, is required to be in a drain pan if installed in the attic. Is it currently in a drain pan or not. If not, it needs to installed immediately. Is it properly draining to a conspicuous area so you know it's leaking? I wouldn't sweat the past damage but you sure need to be asking about future damage.

Old 07-21-2016, 05:53 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,995,992 times
Water from a water heater -- and its repaired -- sure I'd buy. Flood damage from rain or storms -- no way.

Old 07-21-2016, 06:06 AM

392 posts, read 317,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbc0815 View Post
That's the Option Period that I'm talking about. I paid $100 for the option to back out of the contract within that 10-day period and get my earnest money back. My agent said that we couldn't have got those repair records before our offer was accepted.

As for mold inspection (or any further inspection for matter), we're on our 8th day of the option period so there's no more time left.
If there are no backup buyer waiting, try to extend another option period for 10 or more days in writing. However, you must pay another option fee.

Even if there is a back up buyer in waiting, the seller way want to extend the option period if you can show that you are diligent in getting expert opinions on the matter. Besides, the next buyer will have to go through the same thing.

Good luck

Old 07-21-2016, 07:03 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,388,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
If it was a water heater and the damage has been repaired by Serv Pro, what's to worry about.

That's what happens when builders put water heaters in the attic. Just wait till the HVAC drain stops up and you are out of the country like happened to two of my neighbors.

It is all over Houston.
We just had a stopped up drain and I was having nightmares until the plumber could come out and fix it. Easy fix and cheap, however it was nerve wracking. We always check before going on a trip and periodically Inbetween trips. I can see how easy it is to flood a home from HVACvor water heater issues.

OP- if you love the home, got a good price,and plan to stay there a long time...then buy it. If any of those factors are missing, then skip it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: