Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 11:44 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,991,361 times

Advertisements

I've been putting it off for too many years. It's been like finding a unicorn so perhaps in Houston it's not possible.

As a woman, I have really smooth skin on my face but I've bee literally battling 4 shades of brown for about 18 years and the older I get I'm just....tired of makeup. I hate the humidity and the makeup and having to worry if I rest my face in my hands that I'll pull away brown.

I don't and have never had acne. As a Google Doctor, my self diagnosis is severe hyperpigmetation. Because that's what it looks like but that might not be it and I'm ready for an expert.

I want a black doctor or even Middle Eastern....someone themselves who understands brown skin first then I'll go from there. I don't need any usual suspects chiming in with a comment on that (I won't name drop but y'all know who you are and the board does too).

With the extra melanin my skins reacts to things differently. I can stay outside for 5 hours in the sun, no sunscreen and just come out very dark and be okay. Anyone not brown will either be happy being brown and tan or like most in pain and peeling and sunburned painfully. That alone says on the surface our skin and what it can and can't take is different.

I don't want to spend $$$$ on treatments that aren't working because the melanin or whatever is fighting it or "it works for all my patients...." yet not for me.

If my skin reacts badly to something or whatever I'm already batting against zero in the makeup department. There's no wide spectrum of brown to cover it up vs. if you get lobster red you have about 1 shades to choose from. I'm already at "dark" which is't even close to the right shade anyway so I'm a trained chemist mixing the 2 shades of light and dark to make a shade of brown that's still not quite right but it works with heavy powder.

Now I could be looking wrong but I SHOULDN'T have to drive out to Missouri City to find a black dermatologist as if there's no one with skin issues anywhere else in this city.

Location: I'd rather stay north....I'd drive against traffic all the way to Conroe and Huntsville before I head past the SW Loop. So as far out as Katy, north Waller, far east Crosby, far south limit 610/288 Stadium. I don't want to go farther south than that. They can't ALL be hold up in Sugarland/Missouri City and Pearland...there's business to be had elsewhere too!

Again, I want this as an initial starting point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2016, 12:04 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,984,276 times
Is kind of ironic you can't search doctors by their race. You can search by their language, but it obviously won't work here.

You could search by names on google and about half the doctors would actually have a website with their portrait on there.

Old 07-22-2016, 12:13 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,524,481 times
If doctor's name is Kamisha, Lakeisha, Nikesha, etc. good chance you don't need to look for a portrait, so just simple name search within set distance can help

Old 07-22-2016, 12:24 PM

2,756 posts, read 3,807,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
If doctor's name is Kamisha, Lakeisha, Nikesha, etc. good chance you don't need to look for a portrait, so just simple name search within set distance can help
Wow. You must have really enjoyed the acceptance speech last night.

Old 07-22-2016, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
Wow. You must have really enjoyed the acceptance speech last night.
No, I have no idea about it

Old 07-22-2016, 12:46 PM

2,756 posts, read 3,807,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
No, I have no idea about it
Did you honestly think that your post was funny or clever?

Old 07-22-2016, 01:01 PM

Quote:
I was quite busy with something else and didn't have time to follow any kind of speech yesterday. So I don't really know what are you talking about. Does it make sense now?

Old 07-22-2016, 01:02 PM

2,165 posts, read 3,772,966 times
Quote:
did you?

To the OP:

You can search dermatological specialty in houston for medical professionals by race.

I suggest Dr. Seymour Weaver if you don't want to look.

Old 07-22-2016, 02:43 PM

21 posts, read 27,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
I've been putting it off for too many years. It's been like finding a unicorn so perhaps in Houston it's not possible.

As a woman, I have really smooth skin on my face but I've bee literally battling 4 shades of brown for about 18 years and the older I get I'm just....tired of makeup. I hate the humidity and the makeup and having to worry if I rest my face in my hands that I'll pull away brown.

I don't and have never had acne. As a Google Doctor, my self diagnosis is severe hyperpigmetation. Because that's what it looks like but that might not be it and I'm ready for an expert.

I want a black doctor or even Middle Eastern....someone themselves who understands brown skin first then I'll go from there. I don't need any usual suspects chiming in with a comment on that (I won't name drop but y'all know who you are and the board does too).

With the extra melanin my skins reacts to things differently. I can stay outside for 5 hours in the sun, no sunscreen and just come out very dark and be okay. Anyone not brown will either be happy being brown and tan or like most in pain and peeling and sunburned painfully. That alone says on the surface our skin and what it can and can't take is different.

I don't want to spend $$$$ on treatments that aren't working because the melanin or whatever is fighting it or "it works for all my patients...." yet not for me.

If my skin reacts badly to something or whatever I'm already batting against zero in the makeup department. There's no wide spectrum of brown to cover it up vs. if you get lobster red you have about 1 shades to choose from. I'm already at "dark" which is't even close to the right shade anyway so I'm a trained chemist mixing the 2 shades of light and dark to make a shade of brown that's still not quite right but it works with heavy powder.

Now I could be looking wrong but I SHOULDN'T have to drive out to Missouri City to find a black dermatologist as if there's no one with skin issues anywhere else in this city.

Location: I'd rather stay north....I'd drive against traffic all the way to Conroe and Huntsville before I head past the SW Loop. So as far out as Katy, north Waller, far east Crosby, far south limit 610/288 Stadium. I don't want to go farther south than that. They can't ALL be hold up in Sugarland/Missouri City and Pearland...there's business to be had elsewhere too!

Again, I want this as an initial starting point.
Hi -

While I don't live in TX (yet!), I do want to let you know you are not alone! I am a dark hispanic that has dealt with hyperpigmentation for YEARS...I'm in my 30s and have had it since about 12. And that's formally diagnosed. I will tell you, although disclaimer that it was years ago, I was handed a small tube of a bleaching cream and told to apply to affected areas. I was gutted, because my skin has like spots of discoloring all over my damn body (related to a skin disorder...another topic for another day). So this small tube was like a smack in the face! Anyway, I really hope that you find a great understanding doctor and a great treatment as well!! I'm hopeful that better treatments have been made since then!

If you think of it, can you please keep me posted? It's something that drives me crazy about my skin as well. And, if we move, it would be great to have a starting point!

I truly wish you the best of luck with treating it. And trust me when I say, I UNDERSTAND!

-Chi

Old 07-22-2016, 05:35 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Quote:
That person know what it was doing. Wasn't funny or clever at the slightest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston