Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2008, 02:52 PM

2 posts, read 8,967 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I've been looking through the forums here and really enjoying all the information and photos. I have family in Houston (Spring area) and we are considering a move there from Ohio. My husband would be working in the Channelview area, so we're looking for a short commute and a nice neighborhood. We're interested in a great school district, no flooding problems, low crime. We're looking for homes in the 120-150k range, the newer the better.

I hear people complain about Houston's weather a lot. I was wondering if someone can explain? Right now it is snowing and 16 degrees here in Ohio. I'm sincerely looking forward to not needing an industrial strength snow shovel and/or snow plow anymore.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 07:51 PM

268 posts, read 1,488,830 times
I live on the west side of Houston so I can't help with the area that you're interested in but regarding the weather, here's my 2 cents:

What is your tolerance to extreme heat & humidity for extended periods of time?? It seems to bother some more than others. I lived in Cincinnati for 3 years and I didn't like when it was very cold and damp but I also don't like Houston's high temps either.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:09 PM

799 posts, read 3,693,389 times
I don't know anyting about the channelview area but the weather complaints are overrated. It does get very hot but beats being a little cold LOL! You will get used to the weather, it is not that bad, go swimming 10 months out of the year and you will be fine ! Some summers are extreme and others not so much. If it is too hot, you can stay inside and drink iced tea! Just know before you get here that you can NEVER plan a halloween costume, sometimes it is like summer and others it is freezing, it is always a suprise!

Old 02-19-2008, 09:10 PM

54 posts, read 192,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by comingtotexas View Post
I hear people complain about Houston's weather a lot. I was wondering if someone can explain? Right now it is snowing and 16 degrees here in Ohio. I'm sincerely looking forward to not needing an industrial strength snow shovel and/or snow plow anymore.

Thanks in advance!
Imagine Ohio's August heat and humidity for five (or more) months. That's it. No snow. No freezing. No scarves and boots. No ice.

Old 02-20-2008, 02:14 PM

450 posts, read 1,203,100 times
No it way worse in Houston with the humidity compared to Ohio...I live in Ohio and have been to Texas..Houston humidity is worse

Old 02-21-2008, 02:48 PM

11 posts, read 27,887 times
everyone misses the thing about houston, sure we are hot & humid, but we dont live out doors here. a typical work day, leave your air conditioned house get into your air conditioned car, go to your job, brave the mad dash across the parking lot to get to your air conditioned office, then repeate backwards, mon/frid. down here we take our weekends & holidays seriously, head to galviston & party, houston is a way of life, it dont get no better, lots of work if you are willing.

Old 02-21-2008, 03:58 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,212,654 times
You should check out Atascocita, the new neighborhoods along Beltway 8 and the Crosby area if you want the short commute. Alternatively, you can check out Deer Park but that would mean either taking the ferry or paying the toll to cross the Beltway 8 bridge. The Humble and Deer Park schools are the best with Crosby ISD coming along behind that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston