Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 08:41 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,929,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
The port is kind of a victim of its own success. It is a long port, 30 something miles, but almost all of the large real estate is taken up.

Lake Charles is actually taking business away from the Houston Port because they have plenty of land over there.

Interesting article:

American Press - Home

I find it ironic that a small Louisiana town can siphon away Houston's business because of, well Houston's success.

Ironically, Houston siphoned off business from New Orleans a long time ago. But New Orleans is so far upriver from the mouth of the Mississippi that it will never run out of land. Over time these cities will be competing and it'll be interesting to see how this plays out.
Did you not see the reason why it was built in Lake Charles and not Houston? $60B in development is the reason why the $1.5B development in Lake Charles couldn't squeeze through. You really think LC is going to be a thorn in the POH side? There are other ports in the Houston area too like Texas City, Galveston, and Lake Jackson/Freeport. All currently undergoing expansions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 08:56 PM

6,262 posts, read 7,416,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Did you not see the reason why it was built in Lake Charles and not Houston? $60B in development is the reason why the $1.5B development in Lake Charles couldn't squeeze through. You really think LC is going to be a thorn in the POH side? There are other ports in the Houston area too like Texas City, Galveston, and Lake Jackson/Freeport. All currently undergoing expansions.

Plus you really don't want those LNG terminals in really populated areas. If one of those things ever blows up its going to be really nasty...

Old 08-22-2016, 09:19 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,424,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTexas2010 View Post
Your analogy implies that Houston will figuratively sink into the abyss, never to recover.

A.) The 80s oil bust (and re-growth that followed) is proof Houston will never be "sunk" by the cyclical nature of oil.

B.) As many have already stated, Houston is not an Oil-only town these days. I am employed in the pharmaceutical industry, which gives very little thought as to the goings-on of the energy industry and what the price of oil is.

C.) Many have also noted that Houston is an employment town, and people will come and go with employment. Frankly I wouldn't mind a slow down in the explosive growth the greater Houston area has seen with this last boom - perhaps a steady trickle of growth wouldn't be such a bad thing right now.
It will recover I am sure of it, the question is next year or in ten years like the 80's.

Old 08-22-2016, 10:11 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,786,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
That port project is $1.5B but there are $90B in industrial expansions in LC. LC can compete with the big boys.

"The Calcasieu River area is becoming the focal point for new development of LNG export terminals. Talhelm said this fact is evident in the over $90 billion worth of development in the region"

Old 08-22-2016, 11:38 PM

6,262 posts, read 7,416,935 times
Quote:
That port project is $1.5B but there are $90B in industrial expansions in LC. LC can compete with the big boys.

"The Calcasieu River area is becoming the focal point for new development of LNG export terminals. Talhelm said this fact is evident in the over $90 billion worth of development in the region"

Like I posted earlier nobody wants those terminals in any really populated areas and the companies that are developing Lake Charles are Headquartered in Houston for the most part anyway...

Old 08-24-2016, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Like I posted earlier nobody wants those terminals in any really populated areas and the companies that are developing Lake Charles are Headquartered in Houston for the most part anyway...
Well even Lake Charles is putting them down in Cameron Parish where it is sparsely populated, but still a feather in their cap.

Old 08-24-2016, 04:37 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,085,161 times
Quote:
Well even Lake Charles is putting them down in Cameron Parish where it is sparsely populated, but still a feather in their cap.
Sounds like another LA native who keeps bragging about how awesome that state is, while living here...

Old 08-24-2016, 04:54 PM

225 posts, read 516,551 times
Lake Charles is not "competing" unless you consider giving away huge subsidies and tax deferrals "competing"

Old 08-24-2016, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augiec View Post
Sounds like another LA native who keeps bragging about how awesome that state is, while living here...
I am a LA native but I am here for a reason. Humidity and corruption drew me here.

To be honest when I'm done with my career here I'm probably onto greener pastures, as well...

Old 08-24-2016, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by right View Post
Lake Charles is not "competing" unless you consider giving away huge subsidies and tax deferrals "competing"
Not really.

https://www.businessreport.com/artic...g-dramatically
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston