Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 11:19 AM

24,409 posts, read 26,986,736 times

Advertisements

I know the oil industry across the country is having trouble. However, how are other industries doing in Houston, specifically would you say the job market in the finance field is good? Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2016, 08:54 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,900,720 times
Well, from what I've read, Saudi Arabia and Russia are now in collusion together working to raise the price of oil. Their economies took such a hit and now they've put out a lot of frackers in the US their goal was achieved.

Once the price of oil rebounds, Houston will be back to the races again...

Old 10-14-2016, 09:27 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,018,617 times
But you don't think it will ever rise to the way it was when Houston was booming? I mean I am hoping it will at least level the losses in Houston.

Old 10-14-2016, 09:40 AM

439 posts, read 437,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Well, from what I've read, Saudi Arabia and Russia are now in collusion together working to raise the price of oil. Their economies took such a hit and now they've put out a lot of frackers in the US their goal was achieved.

What! The insanity continues. This is like hoping for war in order to keep the economies of most of the world over a barrel of oil. Don't focus on the price of a barrel of oil. Instead, look at the new market for oil. What is that new market? No one knows. They aren't going to hire big time until they do. People want to get the train up to speed fast when, after the first signs that a downturn was on the way, it took the economy a few years to slow down.

Old 10-14-2016, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
But you don't think it will ever rise to the way it was when Houston was booming? I mean I am hoping it will at least level the losses in Houston.
It will never be the same again. This is different than the hiccup of a downturn that happened in Houston during 2008. The Saudis had to create a new market. Pressure from natural fracturing is depleting around the world. The economy in Houston might be great again, just not the same.

The vehicle has been pulled into a garage in this case. An overhaul is being done to the economic engine. People want to get back on the road, but the job has to be done right.

Old 10-14-2016, 09:55 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,018,617 times
Well i don't mind if Houston doesn't boom like before. In fact I'd prefer it if it didn't cus the rent proves won't be sky high and there might be less people flooding in. I would just like the economy to be good.

Old 10-14-2016, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Well i don't mind if Houston doesn't boom like before. In fact I'd prefer it if it didn't cus the rent proves won't be sky high and there might be less people flooding in. I would just like the economy to be good.
That was the case during the last downturn. People moved back where they came from. The freeways were less crowded. Read lots of llegals have been moving back to Mexico. I guess I should have referred to them as citizenshipped challenged. It is so hard being a typical man and keeping up with all the political correctness. I've been taking classes in the art of the proper male curtsy.

Old 10-14-2016, 01:04 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,900,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow pool of piddle View Post
What! The insanity continues. This is like hoping for war in order to keep the economies of most of the world over a barrel of oil. Don't focus on the price of a barrel of oil. Instead, look at the new market for oil. What is that new market? No one knows. They aren't going to hire big time until they do. People want to get the train up to speed fast when, after the first signs that a downturn was on the way, it took the economy a few years to slow down.
I never said I liked what the Saudis and Russians were doing. I was just plainly stating that the end result of what they are doing will be good for Houston's economy (even if bad for other areas of the world) as this is a thread about Houston's economy.

Old 10-14-2016, 01:57 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,304,323 times
Quote:

Why do people keep on believing this cr.p?
All you have to do is look at the US rig count.... what do you think is going to happen when you have a huge number of active rigs?
This is going to shock you = Flood the market with oil and drop the price of oil

Old 10-14-2016, 01:57 PM

Quote:
I never said I liked what the Saudis and Russians were doing. I was just plainly stating that the end result of what they are doing will be good for Houston's economy (even if bad for other areas of the world) as this is a thread about Houston's economy.
Won't this tactic just lead to world wide fracking? I figured that is the reason companies didn't lay off even more employees. They are attempting to protect the intellectual property they developed in energy technology. Laying off lots of employees risks letting a lot of that cat out of the bag.
You seem to be hoping that the Houston economy is going to take off from a standing start. It doesn't work that way. The area has yet to slow and stop at the station. The full effects of the downturn have yet to be felt. How many houses, apartments, and office buildings are still under construction? All this happened because of how banks lent money in Houston by the way. They did not require a prior tenant lined up and other loan requirements established in other cities. Developments in Houston are being driven by naive Chinese investors. They had a similar situation going on back during the eighties. They called it 'The Crazy Canadian Theory' after developers from Canada stepped in to develop after the crazy developers from Texas quit building.
Fasten your chin strap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: