Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 12:59 PM

672 posts, read 847,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Lol. Yes, Houstonians are awesome folk, but behind the wheel they get aggressive. Houston's freeways are like the Mad Max movies.
This! I was born and raised in NYC and I've been living here for almost 4 years and I'm still shocked on an almost daily basis at how bad/crazy Houston drivers are LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2016, 10:05 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,885,609 times
I live in Austin and every time I visit Houston I am stunned at how much more genuine and caring people are in Houston. It's the main reason I'm planning long term to move there. Food is the second reason. And architecture is the third reason.

Old 08-13-2016, 12:11 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,725,804 times
People in Houston are very nice. I will say that. I have a different view on day to day interactions since moving here and I actually think I'd seem a bit odd if I ever move back to Michigan or New York. I miss those places but there is a warmth to the people here that is really charming.

That said, I'd say our greatest asset is our diversity. That's what we need to be selling.

Old 08-13-2016, 03:51 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,522,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prey521 View Post
This! I was born and raised in NYC and I've been living here for almost 4 years and I'm still shocked on an almost daily basis at how bad/crazy Houston drivers are LOL
I have traveled all over the 'Lower 48' states and, IMO, the only area that is worse than Houston is the southern 'half' of Florida. Draw a line straight line across the state from Bradenton, and the drivers south of that line are worse and crazier than in Houston. A clean driving record, excellent credit, and a very safe zip code certainly help though re insurance. Nothing changed from one year to the next for me re those three items and my car insurance rate decreased again with my recent renewal. Re distracted driving, the worst I've seen is on Biscayne Blvd in the Miami metro area.

Old 08-13-2016, 07:58 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,663,212 times
Ah, Houston drivers, they don't even compare to how crazy Boston drivers are!

I think Houstonians are really great people overall. A true asset for sure!

Old 08-13-2016, 08:44 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,010,013 times
Yes but it's not that they're necessarily bad drivers per se. What I mean by bad is aggressive, impatient, wanting to go 90+ in a huge pick up.

Other cities I've driven in the drivers are just clueless, go 50+ in the fast lane, drag butt, can't make a decent right turn at the light. Forget to signal or are just unnecessarily overly cautious

Old 08-13-2016, 09:27 AM

3,276 posts, read 7,844,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear30 View Post
That said, I'd say our greatest asset is our diversity. That's what we need to be selling.
Why is diversity Houston's "greatest asset"? Diverse cities tend to be crime-ridden, run down, and filthy. What's so great about that?

Old 08-13-2016, 10:05 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,885,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Why is diversity Houston's "greatest asset"? Diverse cities tend to be crime-ridden, run down, and filthy. What's so great about that?
Sounds like you may have an agenda.

Diversity means living around people who are different from you, working and interacting with them, going to church with them if you're religious, being close friends with them, and even marriage or "significant other" relationships.

If you don't like diversity, you may want to hunt for some other place than Houston, which is getting more diverse by the day and is truly a melting pot of cultures. It's getting more so every day and is a wonderful asset that has given Houston a much better reputation than it once had.

Old 08-14-2016, 08:28 AM

202 posts, read 320,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Just say what you really mean so we can get this over with

Old 08-14-2016, 03:17 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherguy View Post
Sounds like you may have an agenda.

Diversity means living around people who are different from you, working and interacting with them, going to church with them if you're religious, being close friends with them, and even marriage or "significant other" relationships.

If you don't like diversity, you may want to hunt for some other place than Houston, which is getting more diverse by the day and is truly a melting pot of cultures. It's getting more so every day and is a wonderful asset that has given Houston a much better reputation than it once had.
Indeed. Diversity is a beautiful think. The most dangerous cities in the US arent diverse. Memphis, New Orleans, Baltimore, and Detroit aren't diverse (though Detroit has some diverse burbs). NYC, LA, San Francisco, and Houston have far lower crime rates and are far more diverse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston