Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 11:31 AM

21 posts, read 167,284 times

Advertisements

What are the highly recommended private schools in Houston? Which area should we look?

We are moving to Houston soon and looking for excellent private schools for my our son but don't know where to look? The school will be the basis for where to buy a home as well. Midway from work to the school is fine. Will be working zipcode 77002 area any school or home not more than 20 miles is acceptable.

Please help us. Greatschools.net is not much help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 11:36 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,484,606 times
St. Johns
St. Thomas- Boys
St. Michaels
Kinkaid
Regis-Boys
St. Francis- only through 8th
Duchesne-Girls
Strake Jesuit-Boys
St. Agnes- Girls

All the above are excellent top tier schools

Old 02-20-2008, 01:59 PM

268 posts, read 1,488,558 times
I don't know about a specific school but check out this website:

houstonprivateschools.org

Old 02-20-2008, 04:34 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,988,426 times
Episcopal H.S. is great but also about the price of a pricey university - however if you can afford it - go for it. St. Thomas is an all boys H.S. very close to 77002 and would also give you a great choice of neighborhoods close-in to live in.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:14 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,484,606 times
Episcopal is nuts. Its also where many of "the problem" kids. That or Alexander Smith.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:55 PM

73 posts, read 356,545 times
I got a great high school education from Strake Jesuit, which was nice without being permeated by the typical prep school pretension. That was a few years ago (2002), and with the massively expensive campus improvements that have been made recently, I don't know if it's still the same. My graduating class's average SAT score was around 1300, I believe, and I remember several students went off to Princeton, Yale, UPenn, Wash U, UChicago, Notre Dame, Rice, as well as many other great schools I don't remember. Granted this is only one four-sentence perspective, but I think it's a good school.

Old 02-20-2008, 06:40 PM

24 posts, read 125,219 times
Also consider the Lutheran schools in the area. I can speak from experience that they are good schools... Some of them are:

Elementary/Middle: K-8
Trinity (on Spring Cypress Rd in Klein)
Salem (Tomball)
St. John (Cypress)

High School:
Concordia (Tomball)
Lutheran North (Oak Forest area)
Lutheran South (towards Hobby Airport)

Lastly, Cypress Christian School has a good reputation. It is K-12. It's at Jones Rd and Cypress North Houston.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:26 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,988,426 times
I don't recommend Lutheran South - My stepson went there. My son who went to a public school got a much better education than the child who went to Lutheran South. His mom wanted to protect him from the "elements" of public school and I don't think his education is very well-rounded or that he was exposed to enough of the "elements" of life. The public school child got more out his education in every aspect. Not touting public over private because I only have personal experience with Lutheran South - I just don't think that particular school is all that - particularly if you are paying for it.

Old 02-20-2008, 10:09 PM

687 posts, read 2,127,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by violethawk View Post
What are the highly recommended private schools in Houston? Which area should we look?

We are moving to Houston soon and looking for excellent private schools for my our son but don't know where to look? The school will be the basis for where to buy a home as well. Midway from work to the school is fine. Will be working zipcode 77002 area any school or home not more than 20 miles is acceptable.

Please help us. Greatschools.net is not much help.
You didn't say the age of your son. Annunciation Orthodox School is in zip 77006 (by the U of St. Thomas in Montrose), and goes from pre-K to 8th grade. It's a wonderful school, very loving, amazing lunches (my son's favorite subject is lunch!), emphasis on a classical education (it's a Greek school); fine arts, language arts, physical education, mathematics, science), very active and supportive parent body, and of course great kids... AOS. We're very happy with the school.

Another factor to consider is your child's personality and learning style. AOS is a great fit for our relaxed, easy-going child, whereas an extremely competitive, driven Type A child might really thrive at St. John's.

Best wishes for finding the right school, and welcome to Houston!

Old 02-21-2008, 07:09 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,477,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Episcopal is nuts. Its also where many of "the problem" kids. That or Alexander Smith.
By problem kids, do you mean kids who have gotten kicked out of public school and have nowhere else to go to school OR kids who have lots of disposable income and have problems managing it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston