Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 11:11 AM

16 posts, read 23,780 times

Advertisements

His commute will be to the Energy corridor. Would this make a difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liljo22 View Post
I know you said commute for your husband doesn't matter but if he works in the downtown area, but those locations are going to drive him nuts in the car. Its even worse if CWP has a big concert that night.

If commute really does not matter, I would buy in the Woodlands. They are really doing a good job of not having to really leave that area for dining/entertainment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 11:14 AM

Thats some useful info. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysflyin View Post
My neighbors send some children to Faith West and are very happy there.

I actually think that Katy/Cinco Ranch would be perfect for you given that it is a wonderful family area and if your husband does need to commute downtown he's probably a little bit better off coming from Katy than from the Woodlands.

We looked in both areas and preferred Katy--it has a slightly friendlier vibe than the Woodlands.

Old 08-30-2016, 11:30 AM

322 posts, read 710,194 times
If your husband is in EC for work, then forget Woodlands. He'll spend half of his life in the car. Nothing like a stalled car in the HOV lane to give you a 3 hour commute one way.

Katy is more do-able at face value of your post. I do, however, recommend Cinco Ranch and the more eastern part (or western part of Houston, whichever way you look at it.)

Consider Fleetwood/Barker's Landing, too, as you can fall back on decent public schools. $300k ish for a 4 bed might be hard to find, however, in EC, though. And also in Kelliwood - closer to EC than far-out Cinco - same thing, $300k ish is hard to find.

Just remember, closer to the 99 loop, cheaper the homes but harder the commute. Meaning the farther west you go out, and farther south west...

If you are doing private school, then also look at Lakes on Eldridge, Lakes on Eldridge North and Twin Lakes. There are busses to BISH, Village, AWTY, etc. Great deals on houses in those as most expats have been repatriated with the oil downturn.

Yeah, we too said, "Katy or Woodlands" when we were in your shoes. Both have tremendous selling points and are very nice places. In fact, when we moved in 2009, both those areas were so affordable and we could find anything we wanted with our $400k budget.

We chose, in the end, to buy closer to husband's work. It gave our family more time together AND our kids go to private schools. I am close to everything in EC and a short drive to anything inside the loop.

Have you posted on British Expats forum? A bunch of us are over there too - and live all over. Katy, Woodlands, Pearland, Sugarland. Those that live in Katy can give a better view of family life in Katy.

If you are considering public schools for your kids, then go Katy. Your budget will go far there.

EC, Spring Shadows or Memorial's Villages are (or may be in EC's case) outwith your budget. But take a peek as they are so much easier to work and to the happenings in Houston itself.

Old 08-30-2016, 12:37 PM

Thanks a lot Shipresa. Thats a whole lot of useful info. I appreciate it.
We are actually consider Cinco Ranch if we settle for Katy. Would like an area with well ranked school system. One child is in elementary while another is just starting high school. We're considering private schools for hte 1st 3 years for them to acclimate and then see how that goes. We may or may not move them to public schools, after the 3 years, depending on how things go.

Can i ask, Fleetwood/Barker's landing. In What area are these located?

Also, Lakes on Eldridge, Lakes on Eldridge North and Twin Lakes, what areas are these located in as well/ Are there a lot of oil folks in these areas, since you mention the repatriation?

Could you also comment on areas closer to EC? On budget, we may be able to move as high as $450, if we need to, though we'd prefer not to.

Out of curiousity, could i ask what area you eventually settled for?

Thanks a gain for your detailed response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipresa View Post
If your husband is in EC for work, then forget Woodlands. He'll spend half of his life in the car. Nothing like a stalled car in the HOV lane to give you a 3 hour commute one way.

Katy is more do-able at face value of your post. I do, however, recommend Cinco Ranch and the more eastern part (or western part of Houston, whichever way you look at it.)

Consider Fleetwood/Barker's Landing, too, as you can fall back on decent public schools. $300k ish for a 4 bed might be hard to find, however, in EC, though. And also in Kelliwood - closer to EC than far-out Cinco - same thing, $300k ish is hard to find.

Just remember, closer to the 99 loop, cheaper the homes but harder the commute. Meaning the farther west you go out, and farther south west...

If you are doing private school, then also look at Lakes on Eldridge, Lakes on Eldridge North and Twin Lakes. There are busses to BISH, Village, AWTY, etc. Great deals on houses in those as most expats have been repatriated with the oil downturn.

Yeah, we too said, "Katy or Woodlands" when we were in your shoes. Both have tremendous selling points and are very nice places. In fact, when we moved in 2009, both those areas were so affordable and we could find anything we wanted with our $400k budget.

We chose, in the end, to buy closer to husband's work. It gave our family more time together AND our kids go to private schools. I am close to everything in EC and a short drive to anything inside the loop.

Have you posted on British Expats forum? A bunch of us are over there too - and live all over. Katy, Woodlands, Pearland, Sugarland. Those that live in Katy can give a better view of family life in Katy.

If you are considering public schools for your kids, then go Katy. Your budget will go far there.

EC, Spring Shadows or Memorial's Villages are (or may be in EC's case) outwith your budget. But take a peek as they are so much easier to work and to the happenings in Houston itself.

Old 08-30-2016, 12:40 PM

Thats some useful info. Thank you. We are actually looking at Faithwest and another private school, if we end up settling for katy

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysflyin View Post
My neighbors send some children to Faith West and are very happy there.

I actually think that Katy/Cinco Ranch would be perfect for you given that it is a wonderful family area and if your husband does need to commute downtown he's probably a little bit better off coming from Katy than from the Woodlands.

We looked in both areas and preferred Katy--it has a slightly friendlier vibe than the Woodlands.

Old 08-30-2016, 10:36 PM

322 posts, read 710,194 times
Barker's Landing/ Fleetwood are the neighborhoods closest to BP, and are primarily zoned to Katy ISD although on the east side of the reservoir. Elementary is east side but high school (Taylor) is over Katy way. The housing stock is older but very nice community feel.

We went between three communities when we moved here. Kelliwood, Nottingham and Lakes on Eldridge North, which was the outlier thrown in by the realtor. We used a local agent, NOT the expat one provided by the company.

We did not have kids at the time, and the Kelliwood home was 4200 sq ft. We'd be living on the lower floor and AC costs would have been silly. The Nottingham house (EC) needed reno. LOEN house was 9 years old and move in ready. And it had a pool. It cost more than the others (at that time, costs of homes was reversed!) but we went for it and are happy there.

Now we have kids and are reluctant with the Cy-Fair elementary/middle/high that we are zoned to. So for preschool, we are presently at a church-based school, 2x a week until we figure out what to do in regards to schooling. (Either pay for private or pay for a home in a desirable cachement.)

If you are here as an expat and have education benefits, then LOEN/LOE may be a place to look!

Old 08-30-2016, 11:43 PM

569 posts, read 1,078,719 times
Definitely check out Green Trails which is the eastern-most side of the Katy area close to I-10. All tbe schools Elem/Middle/High are close by, close to EC, and very nice homes in the low $300's with some higher. Homes up to $450k have large lots. Check Texas Real Estate - 173,177 Homes for Sale and Rent- HAR.com for Houston area and type Green Trails to find current single family homes for sale.

Old 08-31-2016, 06:10 AM

4 posts, read 2,964 times
I would also recommend Katy, nice area with great schools. I don't live there, I'm in Sugar Land but my wife commutes there everyday for work and we are thinking of moving there.

You can search at greatschools.org for all the schools in Katy.

Good Luck!

Old 08-31-2016, 09:23 AM

I am really grateful for all the useful details, you have consistently provided. I will take a look at the recommended communities. I hope you wouldn't mind answering further questions, if i do have more in the future.

We are not expats, we are originally from lubbock texas, but have lived overseas for over 10 years, before our kids were born, due to hubby's work, and are now looking to return to Texas, as our kids are now, getting older.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipresa View Post
Barker's Landing/ Fleetwood are the neighborhoods closest to BP, and are primarily zoned to Katy ISD although on the east side of the reservoir. Elementary is east side but high school (Taylor) is over Katy way. The housing stock is older but very nice community feel.

We went between three communities when we moved here. Kelliwood, Nottingham and Lakes on Eldridge North, which was the outlier thrown in by the realtor. We used a local agent, NOT the expat one provided by the company.

We did not have kids at the time, and the Kelliwood home was 4200 sq ft. We'd be living on the lower floor and AC costs would have been silly. The Nottingham house (EC) needed reno. LOEN house was 9 years old and move in ready. And it had a pool. It cost more than the others (at that time, costs of homes was reversed!) but we went for it and are happy there.

Now we have kids and are reluctant with the Cy-Fair elementary/middle/high that we are zoned to. So for preschool, we are presently at a church-based school, 2x a week until we figure out what to do in regards to schooling. (Either pay for private or pay for a home in a desirable cachement.)

If you are here as an expat and have education benefits, then LOEN/LOE may be a place to look!

Old 08-31-2016, 11:12 AM

Thanks a lot. Will look at those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTownNearNative View Post
Definitely check out Green Trails which is the eastern-most side of the Katy area close to I-10. All tbe schools Elem/Middle/High are close by, close to EC, and very nice homes in the low $300's with some higher. Homes up to $450k have large lots. Check Texas Real Estate - 173,177 Homes for Sale and Rent- HAR.com for Houston area and type Green Trails to find current single family homes for sale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston