Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 07:59 PM

9,732 posts, read 6,355,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
LOL...or maybe the 15th ranked team just played better than the 3rd ranked team. Either way, I hope Houston gets in, not BYU for obvious reasons.
The only reason I'd rather see Rice enter the Big 12 than Houston is because it makes the highest ranked school in Houston ranked higher. As great as Rice is, it will be greater with a power 5 athletic team. UH does, however, have a good point being that they have had success without needing Power 5 money. However they do have Fertitta that pays them for all the stuff the power 5 would. That includes his $20 million donation he just made for the basketball arena.

Was I being serious that he paid Oklahoma to loose. Of course not. But Fertitta has played a huge part in UH's recent success and all the money he lends the school which traces back to his mob ties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2016, 08:17 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,217,690 times
I don't think you get how this works. Rice? They were considered just so the committee could say they pursued every possible option. They were just another checkbox. Fertitta? What P5 program -doesn't- lean on their billionaire donors. UH doesn't have anything unique. They just have something that isn't as common in the G5 world. They are pulling out all the stops because there is an -enormous- income disparity between the P5 and G5 conferences. THAT is what is not fair. $30 mil annually to each member of the Big 12 vs $3 mil to each member of the AAC. That is what is crooked. But UH knows you have to use everything to your advantage to level the playing field.

Old 09-04-2016, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
I don't think you get how this works. Rice? They were considered just so the committee could say they pursued every possible option. They were just another checkbox. Fertitta? What P5 program -doesn't- lean on their billionaire donors. UH doesn't have anything unique. They just have something that isn't as common in the G5 world. They are pulling out all the stops because there is an -enormous- income disparity between the P5 and G5 conferences. THAT is what is not fair. $30 mil annually to each member of the Big 12 vs $3 mil to each member of the AAC. That is what is crooked. But UH knows you have to use everything to your advantage to level the playing field.
I never once said Rice has a better athletic system than UH. I said I would like to see them in a power 5 conference so they can better the athletic system, since the school is already one of the greatest it can be that much greater. Intact, I stated particularly that the bigger income Rice would get from the being in a Power 5 conference will allow them to grow the athletics.

Back to the uniqueness. UH does have a huge unique advantage on other schools. They have one of the richest man in American riding them and giving some of the biggest loans in university history. Huge advantage.

That's not saying I don't give props to UH for pulling it all off, because these props are 100% due, but they have advantages no other school has.

Old 09-04-2016, 10:08 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,926,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I never once said Rice has a better athletic system than UH. I said I would like to see them in a power 5 conference so they can better the athletic system, since the school is already one of the greatest it can be that much greater. Intact, I stated particularly that the bigger income Rice would get from the being in a Power 5 conference will allow them to grow the athletics.

Back to the uniqueness. UH does have a huge unique advantage on other schools. They have one of the richest man in American riding them and giving some of the biggest loans in university history. Huge advantage.

That's not saying I don't give props to UH for pulling it all off, because these props are 100% due, but they have advantages no other school has.
You're making up so much stuff. There are billionaire donors at pretty much every major university. Not sure what why you keep talking about Feritta as if he is some anomaly in the game. He isn't.

Old 09-05-2016, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
You're making up so much stuff. There are billionaire donors at pretty much every major university. Not sure what why you keep talking about Feritta as if he is some anomaly in the game. He isn't.
Yes he is. Name one billionaire thats paying a university as much as Fertitta pays UH.

Old 09-05-2016, 04:06 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,217,690 times
- Drayton McClane 200 mil to Baylor
- The Gaylord Family over 80 mil to OU
- Phil Knight 300 mil Oregon
the list goes on...

Meet the Big-Money Boosters Behind College Football's Top 25 Teams | Mother Jones

If you really want to see an unfair advantage then you need to compare the bowl game payouts for P-5 bowls vs G-5 bowls, the amount of money distributed to each school in a P-5 conference vs a G-5 conference, and the rules needed to qualify for a new years bowl game for a P-5 vs a G-5 school. There's more, but that should be enough to make you realize that even with Fertitta, UH is still at a massive sports disadvantage compared to the biggest schools in Tx, or OU, or LSU, or any school in a P-5 conference. I hope you truly are just naive and unaware of the HUGE income disparity in college football. Or maybe you are just messing with me. I'm beginning to thing the latter.

Old 09-06-2016, 07:21 AM

45,269 posts, read 26,764,928 times
Interesting stat they showed was the average distance for the players recruited on the team. It was only 32 miles for U of H. In other words - we are keeping our talent here. It makes their success even better for the region.

Old 09-06-2016, 09:08 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,926,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Interesting stat they showed was the average distance for the players recruited on the team. It was only 32 miles for U of H. In other words - we are keeping our talent here. It makes their success even better for the region.
Getting Ed Oliver to commit so early really helped.

Old 09-06-2016, 12:15 PM

26,147 posts, read 21,368,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Yes he is. Name one billionaire thats paying a university as much as Fertitta pays UH.
Have you heard of t Boone Pickens?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: