Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 02:53 PM

467 posts, read 1,179,316 times

Advertisements

When I tried to sell my first house, I had a hairline crack on the brick on one side of the house. I hired a structural engineer, I think it was about $600 to evaluate the house (this was back in 2008). Per the report, it was just normal settling due to normal expansion of the soil (mostly clay). This report put the buyers at ease and they bought the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 09:57 PM

99 posts, read 169,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliana926 View Post
When I tried to sell my first house, I had a hairline crack on the brick on one side of the house. I hired a structural engineer, I think it was about $600 to evaluate the house (this was back in 2008). Per the report, it was just normal settling due to normal expansion of the soil (mostly clay). This report put the buyers at ease and they bought the house.
Hi, does your wall crack shows stair step like pattern? or just simple straight cracks.

Old 08-31-2016, 01:36 AM

270 posts, read 402,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyYot View Post
Buyer does it as part of the normal survey/inspection, as part of the survey cost. As far as the seller is concerned, there's nothing wrong with the foundation so why should they check it ?
Because depending on market inventory some buyers may decide to simply move on to the next house instead of footing the bill for the inspection if something looks questionable. Buyers have different levels of experience too - someone that knows houses may look at the cracks and know they are superficial but someone else may think "cracks...that foundation is clearly gone, let's just put in the offer on the one down the street" even if everything is fine.

It's just a pre-emptive investment some sellers do to address things that are obvious to a buyer when the house is shown.

Old 08-31-2016, 06:22 AM

264 posts, read 438,755 times
Are there large trees, especially oaks, on the lot or next door?

Old 08-31-2016, 07:00 AM

23,739 posts, read 14,840,115 times
Had a house that had mortar cracks like that. The house was large and when built included piers.

Mr. Brick came out every 2-4 years to tuck point.

Old 08-31-2016, 08:57 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,959,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyYot View Post
Buyer does it as part of the normal survey/inspection, as part of the survey cost. As far as the seller is concerned, there's nothing wrong with the foundation so why should they check it ?
I don't think this is normal for the buyer to paid for, especially in current market conditions. You asking a prospective buyer to paid for foundation check, which is pretty much guaranteed to be a problem in this city.

I bought my house and was handed the structural inspection before I sign the contract. I know other people that bought older homes receive the same thing.

Old 08-31-2016, 09:48 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,102,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
I don't think this is normal for the buyer to paid for, especially in current market conditions. You asking a prospective buyer to paid for foundation check, which is pretty much guaranteed to be a problem in this city.

I bought my house and was handed the structural inspection before I sign the contract. I know other people that bought older homes receive the same thing.
Fair enough, but it seems to be normal in my area for the buyer to pay and is considered part of the overall survey report - or maybe its just the realtors I've dealt with - and because its an older neighborhood (1965) ??

At any rate I paid for it when I bought in 2012 and my buyer paid this last go around two months ago.

If my buyer had insisted we pay for a foundation check I would have told him to take a hike and he would have been SOL cause inventory is low in our neck of the woods. A good house sells within 30 days.

As an fyi our house exhibited normal settling cracks around windows and doors and the foundation check was AOK.

(edit - no mortar cracks though)

Old 08-31-2016, 04:20 PM

19 posts, read 15,677 times
Agree with above. If you had a regular buyers home inspection that would tell you whether there was the need for further evaluation by an engineer. Sellers are not required to perform a foundation check in Texas. They are required to provide a completed Seller's Disclosure though. Do the sellers disclosures mention anything about any previous foundation repairs?

Old 08-31-2016, 04:27 PM

1,636 posts, read 1,212,950 times
Unacceptable. Run, don't walk.

Old 08-31-2016, 07:57 PM

467 posts, read 1,179,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen3iverson View Post
Hi, does your wall crack shows stair step like pattern? or just simple straight cracks.
They were stair steps. They were in the mortar, not the bricks. There was only 1 hairline crack....not at multiple areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston