Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2023, 08:47 AM

6,292 posts, read 7,507,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
The Woodlands continues to dominate the Cali to Texas biotech relos with Nurix Technology

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-t...x-18435548.php
Good catch

Nurix Technologies, which is developing cancer fighting therapies, has moved into a 46,000-square-foot space in the $112 million Alexandria Center for Advanced Technologies.

Nurix said it could hire more than 100 to work at the campus at 8800 Technology Forest Place, the former Lexicon Pharmaceuticals campus recently redeveloped by Pasadena, California-based real estate firm Alexandria Real Estate Equities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2023, 09:35 PM

9,907 posts, read 6,617,073 times
We have a big update!

Quote:
with the telecom crisis going on, Crown Castle plans to shed 15% of workforce and consolidate their offices. Wonder if this will boost their main hq in HOU

https://www.marketscreener.com/amp/q...ices-44404666/

Edit: too late wrong thread
Quote:
Originally posted the Crown Castle planned office consolidation in the wrong thread; new article shows that the majority of CC will be consolidated in Houston and Atlanta

https://wirelessestimator.com/articl...on-management/
Crown Castle has now stated in its earnings call this week that they plan to consolidate 1,300 employees to the Houston headquarters built a couple of years. Moves are planned to be complete by Q3 of 2024.

In what's great news for Houston, this is unfortunate for Pittsburgh who will take the biggest hit. Pittsburgh is part of the founding of this company before it became the giant it is today (they are the "Crown" in Crown Castle), and it looks like they nearly plan on leaving Pittsburgh entirely.

By the way, the chron and business journal didn't post about this But Pittsburgh did. Seems Pittsburgh media is more eager to promote negative news than Houston media is eager to promote positive. Figures

Last edited by ParaguaneroSwag; 10-23-2023 at 09:43 PM..

Old 10-24-2023, 07:16 AM

1,733 posts, read 1,030,952 times
Quote:
We have a big update!

Crown Castle has now stated in its earnings call this week that they plan to consolidate 1,300 employees to the Houston headquarters built a couple of years. Moves are planned to be complete by Q3 of 2024.

In what's great news for Houston, this is unfortunate for Pittsburgh who will take the biggest hit. Pittsburgh is part of the founding of this company before it became the giant it is today (they are the "Crown" in Crown Castle), and it looks like they nearly plan on leaving Pittsburgh entirely.

By the way, the chron and business journal didn't post about this But Pittsburgh did. Seems Pittsburgh media is more eager to promote negative news than Houston media is eager to promote positive. Figures
very nice!

Old 10-24-2023, 12:01 PM

680 posts, read 276,130 times
Quote:
We have a big update!

Interesting about the media reporting. Sadly, I think Houston's media is very much more interested in negative local news than positive.

Some years back BP moved and consolidated its North American HQ from Chicago to Houston. Very little if any local coverage.

The fairly recent spinoff of Corebridge creating a new Houston-based Fortune 500 company. Has any Houston media ever mentioned that?

When they do report on good news or good rankings, they (especially the Chron) usually find a way to diminish the positive aspect.

Old 10-29-2023, 11:36 AM

6,292 posts, read 7,507,052 times
Today we post three stories about clean energy and AI just 2 of the many technologies that will be contributing to Greater Houston's economic diversity years into the future.

John Cockerill Hydrogen enters US with planned manufacturing facility in Baytown

Electrolyzer manufacturer John Cockerill Hydrogen is planning a facility in Baytown and aims to expand the hydrogen sector in the Houston area with its entrance into the U.S. market.

John Cockerill Hydrogen, a fully owned subsidiary of Belgium-based John Cockerill Group, has already acquired a manufacturing space in Baytown and has a local head office in Houston. Annually, the new facility is expected to produce a gigawatt of electrolyzers, which are used in the water electrolysis process to produce green hydrogen.

The manufacturing facility will create 200 jobs in the area, and its products will serve the North American market with a domestic supply chain of green hydrogen production equipment.

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/...uring.html:ok:

HPE predicts artificial intelligence market will nearly triple by 2026

Thanks to a surge in artificial intelligence, leaders at Spring-based Hewlett Packard Enterprise Co. (NYSE: HPE) believe the company’s total available market will cross the $300 billion threshold by 2026.

HPE leadership delivered the findings at the company’s Oct. 19 securities analyst meeting. HPE CEO Antonio Neri said the AI sector was an opportunity for expansion across all of the company's sectors.

“HPE strategies aligned to the significant market trends we see today around edge, hybrid cloud and AI, all of which will create profitable market expansion opportunities that will help us fuel our growth,” Neri said.

HPE predicted that its AI business will see compound annual growth rates ranging from 10% for its supercomputer subsector to 32% for its AI platform businesses. The total available market is expected to grow from $62 billion in 2022 to $146 billion in 2023, nearly tripling across the time period.

HPE is the largest technology company headquartered in the Houston region. It ranked No. 10 on the Houston Business Journal’s 2023 Largest Houston-Area Public Companies List, based on the company’s fiscal year 2022 revenue of $28.5 billion.

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/...iple-2026.html

Woodlands-based Plus Power LLC lands nearly $2B in battery storage financing

The Woodlands-based Plus Power LLC has secured $1.8 billion in financing for battery storage projects under development in Texas and Arizona.

Plus Power said Oct. 17 that the financing would support both construction and operation of five projects totaling 1,040 megawatts, or 2,760 megawatt-hours. Eleven industry lenders and investors contributed to the financing.

"Over the last year, Plus Power has raised an unparalleled amount of capital for standalone storage projects from a wide range of leading energy project finance banks and investors," Josh Goldstein, CFO of Plus Power, said in a release. "This capital will support the ongoing buildout of the largest and most diverse portfolio of standalone storage projects in the U.S. The scale highlights our first-mover advantage in bringing high-quality projects to market as well as the tremendous work by our fantastic team."

Plus Power recently expanded its footprint in The Woodlands by leasing nearly 7,000 square feet at Three Hughes Landing this summer.
https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/...ncing.html:ok:
Attached Thumbnails
Houston's economic diversity Thread ..-gettyimages-1405420577_900xx7500-4219-0-255.jpg  

Old 10-29-2023, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post

HPE predicts artificial intelligence market will nearly triple by 2026

Thanks to a surge in artificial intelligence, leaders at Spring-based Hewlett Packard Enterprise Co. (NYSE: HPE) believe the company’s total available market will cross the $300 billion threshold by 2026.

HPE leadership delivered the findings at the company’s Oct. 19 securities analyst meeting. HPE CEO Antonio Neri said the AI sector was an opportunity for expansion across all of the company's sectors.

“HPE strategies aligned to the significant market trends we see today around edge, hybrid cloud and AI, all of which will create profitable market expansion opportunities that will help us fuel our growth,” Neri said.

HPE predicted that its AI business will see compound annual growth rates ranging from 10% for its supercomputer subsector to 32% for its AI platform businesses. The total available market is expected to grow from $62 billion in 2022 to $146 billion in 2023, nearly tripling across the time period.

HPE is the largest technology company headquartered in the Houston region. It ranked No. 10 on the Houston Business Journal’s 2023 Largest Houston-Area Public Companies List, based on the company’s fiscal year 2022 revenue of $28.5 billion.

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/...iple-2026.html
The AI market is booming. I have a friend in Sweden that owns a company training AI models on his own hardware. It appears that HPE is looking to do a cloud version of LLM training. I believe AWS is partnering with NVIDIA to do this as well for smaller scale operations.

I wonder if how much of the AI boom is hype and how much of it is here to stay. If i remember correctly, Need4Camaro types scripts to train AI. Any input from your perspective? Do you see the AI training market sustaining its growth for years to come?

Old 10-29-2023, 05:47 PM

11,837 posts, read 8,033,043 times
I definitely say yes to that, but I think what will happen is corporations will train their AI models to suite their needs and softwares. I think corporate AI services over SDWAN providing services to applications and perhaps even automation will take off so long as the corporation owns that infrastructure. If they where services provided outside of the organization or a cloud service by a third party entity it gets alittle more grey because the security aspect of things. Comcast, AT&T as well as several banks forbid their employees from using ChatGPT, so I would assume the same would apply if lets say some startup provided trained AI services for certain applications that businesses use, like Salesforce for example.. ..but I am noticing there are also organizations (especially in banking) that are reluctant to grab ahold of AI mainly because they priortize thoroughness over simplicity and speed.

I think third party provided cloud based AI services will be more gradual as security is more proven.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 10-29-2023 at 06:02 PM..

Old 10-30-2023, 08:12 AM

11,837 posts, read 8,033,043 times
Forgive my crap spelling, I was typing that while eating at a restaurant in Houston

Old 10-30-2023, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I definitely say yes to that, but I think what will happen is corporations will train their AI models to suite their needs and softwares. I think corporate AI services over SDWAN providing services to applications and perhaps even automation will take off so long as the corporation owns that infrastructure. If they where services provided outside of the organization or a cloud service by a third party entity it gets alittle more grey because the security aspect of things. Comcast, AT&T as well as several banks forbid their employees from using ChatGPT, so I would assume the same would apply if lets say some startup provided trained AI services for certain applications that businesses use, like Salesforce for example.. ..but I am noticing there are also organizations (especially in banking) that are reluctant to grab ahold of AI mainly because they priortize thoroughness over simplicity and speed.

I think third party provided cloud based AI services will be more gradual as security is more proven.
I can see that. Enterprises are likely the last to adapt cloud vs prem (as you mention for security purposes). And outside of something like ChatGPT, consumers don’t have much reasons to use AI for directly.

Old 11-03-2023, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
The Daikin project itself has definitely NOT been under the radar, at least for folks in NW Harris County and Waller County. It's become a huge employment center, to the extent that affordable housing and transportation are issues.

There was an expectation that it would generate considerably more investments by other suppllier, manufacturing and finishing firms that are part of Daikin's "ecosystem" than has actually panned out so far.
Daikin has grown so much, that they’re buying another separate warehouse even though it’s already the third largest manufacturing center in the US

https://rebusinessonline.com/daikin-...hwest-houston/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston