Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2020, 01:15 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,694,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I don’t ever see Brazos County getting absored into Houston’s CSA.
It'll get absorbed when Beaumont gets absorbed, which isn't in our lifetimes. The only reason people might think B/CS would is because a slim majority (~52%) of the kids who go to A&M are from the Houston area... or at least it was when I went there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2020, 03:14 PM

9,859 posts, read 6,570,632 times
Quote:
Because I looked at UGA as more of a local school to Atlanta than A&M is to Houston. That’s all. UGA is closer to Atlanta than A&M is to Houston.
If you’re referring to social involvement, sure. I'm with you of course. But if we are talking economics, A&M has invested way too much money in Houston to not tie it to the city. Nearly a billion just last year.

Edit: Just yesterday I mentioned how big of investments A&M's two bioscience projects were to the city's economy. And just today, the Hines & Levit collab announcement gets made in due to facilitate them. Don't underestimate A&M's economic importance.

Last edited by ParaguaneroSwag; 06-16-2020 at 03:45 PM..

Old 06-16-2020, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric 0_0 View Post
As an Atlanta native I'll give my $.02. In regards to UGA, it is definitely less connected than universities in the metro, but there is still a strong connection. A lot of UGA grads tend to stay in Atlanta or Athens once they finish school. The UGA Terry College of Business also has a significant presence in Buckhead. UGA has also been a success story in the Univ. of GA System. It went from being the laughing stock of GT and a party school to being a top 50 univ and starting to compete with GT and Emory.

Atlanta is very strongly intertwined with Emory, GSU, and GT. If I remember correctly, NCR built a lounge in their new HQ where colllege students could interact with staff and look and possible opportunities. GT has also been the main catalyst for a lot of the tech expansions (475k sqft for Google, Microsoft expansion, Facebook, etc.). GSU and the GA Film Academy have greatly increased their movie production related courses in response to the growing film production in GA. Emory works pretty closely with the CDC and they partner with GT for a lot of programs.

In addition, you have the HBCUs, liberal arts colleges, and colleges in the metro area such as Kennesaw State that are intertwined in their respective areas. I will say Atlanta has a very large university presence in part because it's the biggest fish in town and the capital of the state.
This isn’t what we are debating. Anyone who knows anything about Atlanta knows UGA is important to the metro. Where our disagreement lies is to A&M’s importance to Houston. UGA was brought up as an example of how a university can be far from the metro can still be of major importance. UGA and A&M show this. Of course, A&M doesn’t have the social involvement that UGA has to Atlanta. But anyone who doubts the economic involvement A&M brings to Houston doesn’t know what they’re talking about.

Old 06-16-2020, 07:08 PM

6,290 posts, read 7,494,183 times
BUSINESS // ENERGY
Houston lands new clean energy incubator

June 16, 2020 Updated: June 16, 2020 9:07 a.m.

A leading clean energy incubator is opening an office in Houston.Photo: Elizabeth Conley, Houston Chronicle / Staff photographer

A leading clean energy incubator is opening an office in Houston.
Somerville, Mass.-based Greentown Labs said Tuesday that its second U.S. location will capitalize on Houston's role as energy capital of the world.
Greentown Houston will serve as an on-the-ground catalyst for the energy transition in Houston — aiming to bring together civic and business leaders, entrepreneurs, students and others who have begun the transition and raise awareness of the opportunity.

Greentown Labs believes the engineering strength, talent, and assets of the energy industry in Houston can and must be redeployed toward a decarbonized future, said Emily Reichert, CEO of Greentown Labs.
"Houston has the opportunity to be the energy transition capital of the world and we believe bringing Greentown Labs to Houston will accelerate the shift in this direction," she said.
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/energy/article/Houston-lands-new-clean-energy-incubator-15343285.php?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=emai l&utm_campaign=HC_AfternoonReport&utm_term=news&ut m_content=headlines

Old 06-16-2020, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
Good use for the Grocer's Supply property, and will really help the area imo. Need a little more retail in that area for sure.
Hope it works out. Everyone is betting big on that area. Billions of dollars and hundreds of thousands of jobs expected to come to that area from the BioScience investments.

Old 06-16-2020, 10:27 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
If you’re referring to social involvement, sure. I'm with you of course. But if we are talking economics, A&M has invested way too much money in Houston to not tie it to the city. Nearly a billion just last year.

Edit: Just yesterday I mentioned how big of investments A&M's two bioscience projects were to the city's economy. And just today, the Hines & Levit collab announcement gets made in due to facilitate them. Don't underestimate A&M's economic importance.
I am not underestimating A&M or even Texas (kind of funny how people aren’t bringing up UT). I am simply stating local schools in an area has more of an impact than schools outside the local area. I did not consider A&M a Houston school because it’s hardly by any definition in the Houston area.

Old 06-16-2020, 10:38 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,447,133 times
Quote:
I am not underestimating A&M or even Texas (kind of funny how people aren’t bringing up UT). I am simply stating local schools in an area has more of an impact than schools outside the local area. I did not consider A&M a Houston school because it’s hardly by any definition in the Houston area.
UH is definitely a local school (not counting out-of-state/international students). UT-Austin and A&M attract students from all over Texas, especially freshly-minted high school grads from suburbs in the rest of the Texas Triangle. Most acceptance is due to legacy from their parents.

Old 06-17-2020, 08:39 PM

6,290 posts, read 7,494,183 times
Google this, Houston's economic Diversity
'
Tech giant Google said Wednesday it planned to open its first Houston office to focus on selling cloud services to businesses in the region.

The Mountain View, Calif.-based company leased a floor in the One Buffalo Heights building at 3663 Washington Ave., the same building that houses the Buffalo Heights H-E-B that opened in 2019. The approximately 12,000-square-foot office will occupy the top floor and be operational early next year.

spokesperson Kayla Conti said the new office will focus on sales and will not have any technology workers. There will be new hires for the office, but she would not say how many employees would work there.

Google Cloud Enterprise Sales group sells a variety of products and services to businesses, including its GSuite office productivity package, as well as artificial intelligence and machine-learning services.

The exterior of the new H-E-B Monday, Oct. 7, 2019 is shown in preparation for the Oct. 9th opening at Buffalo Heights in Houston, TX. Google announced on Wednesday, June 17, 2020, that it has leased the entire top floor of the building for a business products sales office.Photo: Michael Wyke / Contributor

Although the Google office will not house any tech workers, Susan Davenport, the Greater Houston Partnership’s chief development officer, said luring Google sales effort to Houston is part of the work involved in the city’s desire to build out its tech ecosystem.

“The fact that Google is opening their first office in Houston is a testament to the work we have been doing to build out innovation ecosystem,” Davenport said in a statement. “We are hopeful this will lead to increased engagement between Houston companies and Google, which will lead to an increased presence of the company in Houston as they scale their relationships.”
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/tec...tent=headlines

Old 06-18-2020, 12:37 AM

25 posts, read 28,168 times
More tech news: The Waitr App just went nation wide. Since Waitr is part of the Fertitta Entertainment conglomerate, every single nation-wide Landry's restaurant, giving them a start in every major market in the USA. From coast to coast, Waitr or Bite Squad (depending on the market) is in every major market now.

Waitr holdings is the parent company and financial division, headquartered in Houston. Waitr and Bitesquad are both subsidiaries that operate food delivery depending on the market. Waitr is headquartered in Lafayette, LA. BiteSquad is headquartered in Minneapolis, MI.

Traditionally, Waitr served the Southeastern USA. BiteSquad served most of the Midwest. The new deal pushes the limits accross the Northeast and Westcoast. Waitr is also in Hawaii, and surprisingly big there. I'm not seeing anything for Hawaii though.

So will the Houston based app be able to reach the likes of GrubHub and Doordash? Maybe not yet, but it is beginning to near Postmates territory.

Old 06-18-2020, 01:29 AM

2,188 posts, read 3,215,538 times
will they cut restaurant fees?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston