Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 07:47 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLifes2shrt View Post
Why would you want to live in Houston???? Hot and humid. Are you a female? If you are look forward to bad hair days. Houston is large and large and large...flat. High in population however the feel is not a large city like New York or even Dallas because the pple are so spread out. I would choose FL any day. Not really a comsopolitan feel (Austin would be better) and no not much of a diversity of residents. I lived in San Fran, LA, Dallas, Houston and now live in NY. Houston I found...hard to find any kind of culture, takes forever to get anywhere...boring.
Do you live outside the loop? Because if you do, no wonder you make this type of post. If you live inside the loop, your post is not entirely accurate.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:51 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by navyvet79 View Post
Wow, kind of bigoted. Is everyone in Ohio like this?
Don't take what he has to say seriously. He does this to the cities of Texas on SSC as well. He just wants attention. It's obvious that he doesn't know a thing about Houston much less the entire state of Texas.

Too call Houston a redneck city is beyond idiotic.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:58 PM

402 posts, read 1,016,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Do you live outside the loop? Because if you do, no wonder you make this type of post. If you live inside the loop, your post is not entirely accurate.
If you like Houston great, but it is still nothing like NYC, San Fran or Chicago. The question is "cosmopolition" and the answer is definite no. Culture? Where is it and how long does it take to get there? Huge population yes, but spread in how many miles and mainly humid, humid and humid!!!! Nothing against Houston or you, but this is true...

Old 02-22-2008, 08:33 PM

264 posts, read 1,094,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLifes2shrt View Post
Why would you want to live in Houston???? Hot and humid. Are you a female? If you are look forward to bad hair days. Houston is large and large and large...flat. High in population however the feel is not a large city like New York or even Dallas because the pple are so spread out. I would choose FL any day. Not really a comsopolitan feel (Austin would be better) and no not much of a diversity of residents. I lived in San Fran, LA, Dallas, Houston and now live in NY. Houston I found...hard to find any kind of culture, takes forever to get anywhere...boring.
Well he did say he is currently in Atlanta, which has its share of heat and humidity as well. I lived in Augusta for a while; the major difference to me was that the nights were a little cooler in GA. Florida or Texas wouldn't be as much of a stretch as you're making it out to be, as far as the weather goes anyway. Especially true for Florida. My biggest problem with Houston is the crime. I have family still living there and they tell me that ever since Katrina, crime has skyrocketed.

As far as culture goes, Houston never really felt like it was part of the south. East Texas has more of a southern feel, but Houston to me always felt like an overpopulated, modern city *trying* to be more cosmo. And I don't agree about it being boring either. Whatever you're looking for, there is plenty of entertainment there.

Old 02-22-2008, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by navyvet79 View Post
Well he did say he is currently in Atlanta, which has its share of heat and humidity as well. I lived in Augusta for a while; the major difference to me was that the nights were a little cooler in GA. Florida or Texas wouldn't be as much of a stretch as you're making it out to be, as far as the weather goes anyway. Especially true for Florida. My biggest problem with Houston is the crime. I have family still living there and they tell me that ever since Katrina, crime has skyrocketed.

As far as culture goes, Houston never really felt like it was part of the south. East Texas has more of a southern feel, but Houston to me always felt like an overpopulated, modern city *trying* to be more cosmo. And I don't agree about it being boring either. Whatever you're looking for, there is plenty of entertainment there.
Well, he didn't ask about Atlanta. As far as FL, at least you the Miami, Key West, Ft. Lauderdale just to name a few...ocean that you "can" swim in and I am not talking about "like" the Orlando area. Yes, agreed East TX does have more of the South feel. Boring, yes because you don't have the culture, diversity, beauty in and near the area. Like I said before you have to drive for hours to get anywhere. Been from the West Coast to the East Coast...I have a view of Manhatten, I can drive and be on a beach (clean and beautiful) within minutes, I can be in RI, I have libraries, muesums, broadway shows, best live maine lobster, washington DC, the Hamptons, the mountains snow skiing and so much, so much more...compared to the metro cities like San Fran, Chicago and New York...there is no comparison. I guess when you've been everywhere like I have. It is "my" personal perference...I would just die if I had to live in Houston...someone at least would need to give me gas card for all the traveling I would have to do not be "bored"...

Old 02-22-2008, 09:49 PM

492 posts, read 1,149,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
Having a lot of Vietnamese boat people who were evacuated in the 1970's and countless illegals from Mexico doesn't make your city cosmopolitan.

Houston's the opposite. Houston is Southern without any of the Southern charm. It's chock full of obese, uncouth Texas rednecks into cheap beer and football, who think not lynching a black man makes them civilized.

For your information those Vietamese people you are referring to are the most productive, hard working, entrepreneurial, pull by their own boot straps type of people. Their children generally are college graduates, productive professional who have high incomes.
Hispanics are also very entrepreneurial. They own small businesses and are most likely to own their own homes than other groups. They are unlikely to seek government employment. They are very self-reliant. The Republican party got 45% of their vote in the last election, thus, demonstrating their fairness and freedom to choose rationaly instead of just following the herd. In other words in Houston we have less people living off the dole. I know that in the rust belt (especially Ohio) they have the highest number of abandoned homes, and there are lots of unemployed, unskilled people who do not want to educate themselves. They want high paying union jobs that pay 60K with benefits for being a janitor. But those jobs are a goner, pal. There are no more free rides for those lazy overpaid leeches. I am willing to bet those leeches are in no shape or manner cosmopolitan.

Old 02-22-2008, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjester View Post
For your information those Vietamese people you are referring to are the most productive, hard working, entrepreneurial, pull by their own boot straps type of people. Their children generally are college graduates, productive professional who have high incomes.
Hispanics are also very entrepreneurial. They own small businesses and are most likely to own their own homes than other groups. They are unlikely to seek government employment. They are very self-reliant. The Republican party got 45% of their vote in the last election, thus, demonstrating their fairness and freedom to choose rationaly instead of just following the herd. In other words in Houston we have less people living off the dole. I know that in the rust belt (especially Ohio) they have the highest number of abandoned homes, and there are lots of unemployed, unskilled people who do not want to educate themselves. They want high paying union jobs that pay 60K with benefits for being a janitor. But those jobs are a goner, pal. There are no more free rides for those lazy overpaid leeches. I am willing to bet those leeches are in no shape or manner cosmopolitan.
Okay, this just proves the point based on your answer. THE QUESTION WAS IS HOUSTON COSMOPOLITION / CULTURE...NOT DO WE LIKE THE VIETNAMESE and are they productive people. I am starting to think that some of you have not traveled very much and you have no idea what culture means because you have not been exposed to it and to the point that Houston has really no culture....

Old 02-22-2008, 10:45 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
[quote=Paddington;2902748]Houston's big, but I don't know if I would call it "cosmopolitan". The kind of cosmopolitan feel you get walking around the streets of New York, Chicago, or San Fransisco, you're not going to get on the streets of Houston. Actually, I wouldn't even recommend walking around Houston. When I interviewed at Texas Medical Center, a lot of the people I met had a rather provincial outlook, with few interests beyond football or fishing... And these were doctors and other educated professionals.

I spent 4 years in Ithaca, NY, and that was a lot more "cosmopolitan" than Houston.[/quote

I take it the interview didn't go well. From your post history you seem to make alot of brief visits and form opinions that seem uneducated at best.

Old 02-22-2008, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H (ComingtoHouston) View Post
I'm curious to know, what turned you off about Dallas?

And what the hell are you talking about? True Houston's no NYC or San Fran but do you even know the definition of the word? Let's disect it...

From webster's dictionary:

cosmopolitan
1. Pertinent or common to the whole world.
2. Having constituent elements from all parts of the world or from many parts of the world.
3. Composed of many people from or at home in many parts of the world.

Hmmm, let's see

1. Well #1. Houston is very common to the rest of the world just by the Port in itself alone. Goods are shipped from the globe right at the Port of Houston.

2. And for #2, Houston not only has the third most diverse population in the U.S, but has many foreign consulates set up right here. If that's not a constituent element from the world, i don't know what is! And not to mention the food and restaurant choices here, the choices are endless!

3. And last but not least # 3. Houston is a diverse place so that composes people from many parts of the world.

ROTFLMAO!!! Wysiwyg, You're priceless!!!

LOL!!!! Are you kidding me???? That's your point???? Well, it just tells me that you have not spent much time in a "real" cosmo" city. Listin, I have lived in Houston and own a home that I lease in Dallas. I don't knock TX...I have friends there and it has its charm. I have also lived in San Fran and now live in NYC. It's about the lifestyle (hello?); in nYc you will see, eat, experience all people of races, their food culture, fashion and etc around every block. In Houston, please....no comparison. Dont try utilize the dictionary definition on very smart people like us.

Old 02-22-2008, 11:40 PM

940 posts, read 1,902,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
Having a lot of Vietnamese boat people who were evacuated in the 1970's and countless illegals from Mexico doesn't make your city cosmopolitan.

Nor does being Southern necessarily prevent you from being cosmopolitan. I interviewed for jobs in Atlanta, and that city is remarkably cosmopolitan. There are educated people there from the Northeast, Europe, and all over the world. Even the natives there are more sophisticated than you'd expect them to be.

Houston's the opposite. Houston is Southern without any of the Southern charm. It's chock full of obese, uncouth Texas rednecks into cheap beer and football, who think not lynching a black man makes them civilized.
Like I said before I lived in Atlanta, twice actually, the first time when I became air breathing at St. Joseph's. I have cousins there and a brother too so I go there all of the time. I do like Atlanta better because of its appearance, the terrain and the resonance with my roots. I don't know what your problem is, but in terms of your revered "sophistication" there is no difference between Houston where I am now and Atlanta except in the arts. And I don't believe you know anything of the districts I mentioned in the other post or of Houston in general. If you explored our museum district, with several art museums, and the adjacent Rice University and Hermann Park, please, describe your impressions. You know why the head curator at the MFAH was recruited from the High Museum in Atlanta in 2000? Because the MFAH was the 5th largest art museum in the country, in a different league than the High. And in the art world Houston is regarded as the best scene in the South. If you disagree then which city in the South would equal us in this regard? I can assure, Atlanta doesn't by a good margin. And guess what? The Houston Symphony (which has toured Europe more than once) has consistently outranked Atlanta's for decades. The Nashville Symphony, equally fine, blows away Atlanta's in number of recordings released. And did you attend the Houston Grand Opera? The biggest opera house in the South, and one of the country's largest is in..... guess where? Does the Atlanta Opera have its own venue? No. They perform in the Civic Center.

Yes we have some Vietnamese "boat people". Funny though - the majority of Vietnamese here are "airplane people" and descendants who don't seem to rate on your sophisticated cosmopolitan scale. Seems bigoted to me.

Oh and our local brewery St. Arnold's took first prize at the Colorado State Fair competition with their "Special Lawnmower" brew last year. And any bar or pub inside the 610 loop will have a wall crammed full of taps, mostly craft brews, if they don't, they go out of business.

I wish a speedy recovery from sneering elitism. And my sympathy regarding your state losing jobs and residents to us in the city with the largest number of Fortune 500 headquarters outside of New York, (all run by bubbas apparently).

Last edited by groovamos; 02-23-2008 at 12:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston