Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 08:11 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,791,723 times

Advertisements

No they're not home owners. They are just big big A holes. Never had a good experience with any of them so I put them in the same bucket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
The board are just homeowners, so if they don't like you...wah wah wahhhhhhhh (sad trombone)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2016, 08:01 AM

177 posts, read 201,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Probably still nursing the wound.

The in-person isn't a negotiation, it's a yes/no. You come in with your expected value and they say ok, or beat it. If you didn't get movement at the sit down, you likely had zero chance at the board.

Additionally personality plays a huge part in it. The board are just homeowners, so if they don't like you...wah wah wahhhhhhhh (sad trombone)
Considering it's been in the news repeatedly that Glenn Whitehead admitted to blacklisting board members who side with homeowners . . . .

Old 09-15-2016, 01:37 PM

23,971 posts, read 15,075,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
No they're not home owners. They are just big big A holes. Never had a good experience with any of them so I put them in the same bucket.
IDK about Ft. Bend county, but the Harris Country ARB members must be property owners in Harris county.

Old 09-17-2016, 05:27 PM

4 posts, read 4,210 times
Hi I am the OP. The hearing did not go very well....I could get the assessment reduced by about $6000, but thats only because the county made a mistake in labeling my house as 3 bath instead of 2.5 bath. The assessor at the hearing offered a lower price, and in spite of my arguing that it wasnt nearly enough, the board just echoed what the assessor said. I dont think i would have gotten anything if not for the reduction proposed by the assessor. In other words, I had researched enough things and had estimates, but nothing matters imo. The board chair just said that all the issues in your home are already considered under depreciation, which is nonsense in my opinion

Old 09-21-2016, 07:55 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,791,723 times
Do something about it and take a stand

https://www.facebook.com/FBC-Apprais...WSFEED&fref=nf

Old 09-22-2016, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
Do something about it and take a stand

https://www.facebook.com/FBC-Apprais...WSFEED&fref=nf
Go see property management company Associa owner, State senator John Corona. At least contact his office if the appraisal district and the ARB are not following the law. Harris county has all kinds of info on their website about how to challenge them. They also have classes.

There is deep and wide recognition that some CADs are screwing homeowners.

Old 09-22-2016, 06:38 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Go see property management company Associa owner, State senator John Corona. At least contact his office if the appraisal district and the ARB are not following the law. Harris county has all kinds of info on their website about how to challenge them. They also have classes.

There is deep and wide recognition that some CADs are screwing homeowners.
I'm certain the ABR's for HCAD are given the wink, wink when it comes to their decisions.

They essentially stopped considering the evidence of most private home owners.

Old 09-22-2016, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I'm certain the ABR's for HCAD are given the wink, wink when it comes to their decisions.

They essentially stopped considering the evidence of most private home owners.
I can say with absolute certainty that that is not so.

If you think your appraisal is incorrect, take it up with the state.

Business is getting a free ride. IIRC, i told y'all about the huge lot on Crawford that was assessed at 10K and they protested.

You see vacant big box stores all over town. The owners keep them vacant by having the lease agreement such that nobody would lease the space. Then they send in the lawyers to protest the value. When they get the value lowered, they use that value to get the rest of their holdings lowered. The taxing authorities are gonna get what they want. So homeowners are picking up the slack.

My cousin, who has been doing this for a living for the last 30 years will be here next month. I will get the tutorial.

Old 09-22-2016, 04:45 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
I can say with absolute certainty that that is not so.

If you think your appraisal is incorrect, take it up with the state.

Business is getting a free ride. IIRC, i told y'all about the huge lot on Crawford that was assessed at 10K and they protested.

You see vacant big box stores all over town. The owners keep them vacant by having the lease agreement such that nobody would lease the space. Then they send in the lawyers to protest the value. When they get the value lowered, they use that value to get the rest of their holdings lowered. The taxing authorities are gonna get what they want. So homeowners are picking up the slack.

My cousin, who has been doing this for a living for the last 30 years will be here next month. I will get the tutorial.
It's either collusion or they look for idiots that believe a government body is always right.

Old 09-23-2016, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
It's either collusion or they look for idiots that believe a government body is always right.
They have to get retired people due to pay and hours.

The pay will not buy lunch or gas. Nobody else would work such odd hours, in the summer for no money. I know a couple who have ADHD who do it to keep busy between Astros games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston