Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 11:23 PM

5 posts, read 6,925 times

Advertisements

I am thinking hauling my family out of California and moving to the Houston area. I worked there for a few months a while back and like it but was there without my family and so didnt really get to know the area from a family perspective.

Ive been looking at Katy area down to Sugarland. I work from home so do not have to worry about commute. In perusing Zillow and other sites it seems like I can get a pretty decent place for my budget $200k but I am wondering what the neighborhoods are like.

Here is an example of Ive seen 195k in Cimmeron

1115 Cascade Creek Dr, Katy, TX 77450 | MLS #43262634 | Zillow

7210 Sherman Ridge Ln, Houston, TX 77083 | MLS #4457446 | Zillow

Nothing special but not bad either from what I can tell. Are these in some sort of combat zone or something?

Can anyone recommend where on the west side of Houston I should go with a 200k cash budget. I could pay more but don't want to take out a loan.

thanks

Last edited by gromitmpl; 09-11-2016 at 11:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 12:13 AM

7,537 posts, read 11,544,207 times
Check out Meadows Place Mission Bend Greatwood Sharpstown the part west of 69 and houses in zip code 77031 these area all fit in your budget and how lower crime rates

Old 09-12-2016, 05:56 AM

967 posts, read 2,603,743 times
I can only comment on the Katy one. Fort Bend county between Katy/Sugar Land has some not -so-good pockets surrounded by "the good stuff" and I just don't know that area well.

But Cimmeron is a pretty solid choice. Not in a combat zone at all. Nice area... Good central location for everyday errands, shopping too.

Old 09-12-2016, 05:58 AM

226 posts, read 305,037 times
The Cascade Creek house is not in a bad area. It is an older part of "Katy" compared to the area to the south and west of it. Perfectly fine neighborhood, though a lot of the houses are older. Some have been remodeled though. Only downside to the area imo is the traffic (Mason, Peek, 99) and how congested it gets. However, that is all of the Katy area these days.

Old 09-12-2016, 06:36 AM

103 posts, read 167,253 times
Keep in mind that because we don't pay income tax our property taxes are much higher than you pay in CA. That 200k house will run you about $5,600/yr (2.8%) before homestead.

Other than that - welcome to Texas! Just about everything else will be cheaper here than what you are used to.

Old 09-12-2016, 09:35 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,118,302 times
You should be searching with HAR.com, Zillow might not be as up to date.

Old 09-12-2016, 10:25 AM

455 posts, read 521,394 times
I know you said you would rather not take out a loan, but i might suggest the Meadow Place section of Cinco Ranch, which is not far from that Cimarron house. If you look at this link on HAR: CINCO RANCH MEADOW PLACE Real Estate & Homes for Sale, you'll see some homes in the mid 200s, which isn't too much over your budget. You'll find the neighborhood to generally be better maintained, and you'll have access to the Cinco Ranch amenities. I'm sure the HOA fee is higher than Cimarron, but then again, you get those extra amenities and the better maintained neighborhood. In terms of living in Katy for that price range, this would be my top pick because of its vicinity to what Katy has to offer and it has good freeway access (to get to what Katy doesn't have to offer!).

Old 09-12-2016, 04:32 PM

5 posts, read 6,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb29335i View Post
Keep in mind that because we don't pay income tax our property taxes are much higher than you pay in CA. That 200k house will run you about $5,600/yr (2.8%) before homestead.

Other than that - welcome to Texas! Just about everything else will be cheaper here than what you are used to.
I think/hope I have taken this into account. My california state income taxes are more than this so I figure if I stick to my budget I'll save money on that as well. Not so mention that even though property tax rates in California are lower the price of housing is higher. 500k does not get you much where I am but property taxes on a 500k house here would be similar (circ $5600)

Thanks for the input. Are there any hidden state of texas fees I should be thinking about?

Old 09-12-2016, 08:51 PM

10 posts, read 11,270 times
I would choose Katy over the mission bend on schools alone. No hidden fees I can think of. Maybe higher water bills and hoa dues. Here are a couple to look at. All good areas and one under your budget.

Maybe you can negotiate down on this one. Even if not it's a great deal for a great area.
20910 Whitevine Way, Katy, TX 77450 - HAR.com

7934 Thorncroft Manor Ln, Richmond, TX 77407 - HAR.com

Old 09-13-2016, 07:05 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,416,699 times
Just be careful! Is this a temp house that you'll be in for a few years as you search the master-planned communities in the Cinco Ranch, Fulshear, Cypress area? Or is this a house you're living in long term? Keep in mind that the Cimmaron house will be 10 years older in 10 years and the neighborhood may drastically change from what you see now.

Taking a few $10k in a loan to get into the master-planned Fort Bend County side or Cypress is nothing for the long-term when property values and amenities are taken into consideration. (BTW interest rates are historically low right now.) Do you own your house in California right now? The equity from the sale of that house probably equals the price of a Texas house if you bought it more than a few years ago. That's why most California transplants find Texas attractive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston