Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 11:28 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorsenator View Post
Based on family experience, this is very true. And it should be noted that in the industry there is a keen awareness of the cues for the "right" person, who is usually white, conservative, often Texas good-ole-boy (without being an uncouth hick). And as in other industries, much unspoken emphasis is placed upon social cues: i.e. where you live (West/Memorial), the car you drive (Suburban, upscale import), where you go to university (UT or A&M), etc.
I think that banking and financial services tends to be "good ole boy-ish" as well, if I am not mistaken.

I like being who I want to be and not conforming - residence: maybe up in The Woodlands, car: late model GM mid-size, university: several, all of them very high on the lists by US News and World Report, but none of them in TX.

With oil and some financial stuff ruled out, which industries, then, would be least apt to care about these fluff "externalities?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 07:51 AM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,121,369 times
ex-Enron is another form of brotherhood over here

Old 02-25-2008, 08:09 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I think that banking and financial services tends to be "good ole boy-ish" as well, if I am not mistaken.

I like being who I want to be and not conforming - residence: maybe up in The Woodlands, car: late model GM mid-size, university: several, all of them very high on the lists by US News and World Report, but none of them in TX.

With oil and some financial stuff ruled out, which industries, then, would be least apt to care about these fluff "externalities?"
I'm having a problem with this thread. I've been working in oil & gas since I graduated from college and have never had any connections pull strings for me. The reason these jobs are difficult to come by is that they are all for geologists and engineers. If you aren't a geologist or an engineer, you need to have something that sets you apart from the crowd. An MBA doesn't really cut it. Someone who worked on rigs or on a service crew AND has an MBA will get a job, otherwise, you're useless to an oil company. As far as the "conformist good-ole-boy" stereotype, it certainly exists but isn't necessarily the norm. You WILL encounter those people, but it doesn't define your "hireability" by any stretch of the imagination. Small E&P's will be very incestual and hire friends and friends children, but the big companies are just like any other large organization in the sense that they hire people on the merit of their past performance in work and academics.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:19 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
but the big companies are just like any other large organization in the sense that they hire people on the merit of their past performance in work and academics.
Agreed, but even they can have some of those issues. I worked for BellSouth. If you sent in a resume from far away, good luck. If you were closer by, you stood a better chance. When I got in there, it was definitely more Southern.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:26 AM

54 posts, read 192,242 times
I think there is a clique-ishness in every industry. When someone is hiring, he'd prefer to bring in someone whose reputation is known to him rather than take a chance with a stranger. I think more relevant in this point of time is the housing market and economy. If a company can hire someone local or short distance, it's going to save them a load of money over relocating someone.

That said, Houston is full of transplants and there is a definite distinction between native Texans and transplants.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:40 PM

687 posts, read 2,128,618 times
The organization where I work receives over 3,000 resumes/CVs a month. To handle that kind of volume, a computer "reads" the applications, and ranks them by % matched on keywords. So if your experiences don't match the job description, or has a low match percentage, likelihood is that human eyes may never see your resume.

This is why personal connections are so helpful... I'm not sure if that would be considered clique-ish, or just practicality... So if you don't have connections, best thing to do is try to tailor your resume by highlighting relevant experiences that match the job posting. That said, I have heard that all else being equal, they prefer to hire based on referrals from employees. The rationale is that our employees are the best, and birds of a feather flock together (or something like that!)

Last edited by karuna95; 02-25-2008 at 07:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston