Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 05:54 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,839,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
lol, this thread reminds me of what my HS football coach would say after I'd score a TD..."act like you've been there"

BTW; I really enjoyed the show
Houstonians aren't used to the limelight, they don't know what to do.

Like they say "Fake it 'til you make it."

Remember, the Super Bowl is coming to town soon, there will be lots of media coverage, get used to it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2016, 06:55 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,288,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Beleive me I'm not just speaking for myself, not everyone clearly but the suburbs really isn't the angle for the show.
"Believe me" we have heard that quite too often now..

Old 11-01-2016, 07:12 PM

6,271 posts, read 7,456,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post

Remember, the Super Bowl is coming to town soon, there will be lots of media coverage, get used to it!

This is the 3rd Superbowl Houston has hosted we know what its like

Old 11-01-2016, 07:51 PM

10,097 posts, read 9,974,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post

Less limelight the better. I just want the city to break out of the Urban Cowboy stereotype so people can see it's diverse and cosmopolitan but I wouldn't want the extra coverage to translate into more interest from people seeking to move.

Old 11-01-2016, 08:18 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,529,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMyWayto30a View Post
For me, it would have been complete if he layered in the perspective of the Anglo Houstonians who in large part, have embraced the international growth of the city. The show continued to reference the disconnect between the immigrants perception of Houston and the reality as they all indicated they felt welcome...to their surprise.
Although I loved the show, I kind of agree with you, as an Anglo who embraced the first wave of non-Mexican immigrants 30-40 years ago...Vietnamese from the fall of Saigon, Farsis from the overthrow of the Shah, Middle Easterners who came in droves before the price of oil dropped off the cliff the first time. I knew people from all of those groups and others besides. I think AB could have replaced the Palacios Vietnamese portion (although I loved the young Vietnamese man with the perfect Texas accent) with sa long-term local or native who welcomed these groups. John Osteen, God rest his soul, comes to mind. I remember when the original Lakeside Church flew the flags of 30-50 countries or more, making everyone, from everywhere, welcome.

The thing I loved the most was hearing several of them say that while they never stopped loving their homeland, they loved coming to Houston, the best best place to build a life and reach their dreams.

Old 11-02-2016, 10:09 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,839,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
Although I loved the show, I kind of agree with you, as an Anglo who embraced the first wave of non-Mexican immigrants 30-40 years ago...Vietnamese from the fall of Saigon, Farsis from the overthrow of the Shah, Middle Easterners who came in droves before the price of oil dropped off the cliff the first time. I knew people from all of those groups and others besides. I think AB could have replaced the Palacios Vietnamese portion (although I loved the young Vietnamese man with the perfect Texas accent) with sa long-term local or native who welcomed these groups. John Osteen, God rest his soul, comes to mind. I remember when the original Lakeside Church flew the flags of 30-50 countries or more, making everyone, from everywhere, welcome.

The thing I loved the most was hearing several of them say that while they never stopped loving their homeland, they loved coming to Houston, the best best place to build a life and reach their dreams.
There was a time limit and I think AB did a good job in the time allotted.

Old 11-02-2016, 11:14 AM

18,074 posts, read 25,173,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I thought they were clearly avoiding good ole country stereotype on purpose. Suburb locals? Isn't that boring?
Holy s.... people
Do you pay attention at all???
He made it very clear at the beginning of the show, that "good ole country folks" is the stereotype of Texas, but in Houston is different.

If he starts the show with that, obviously, he's not going to show cowboys.

Old 11-02-2016, 12:22 PM

10,097 posts, read 9,974,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Holy s.... people
Do you pay attention at all???
He made it very clear at the beginning of the show, that "good ole country folks" is the stereotype of Texas, but in Houston is different.

If he starts the show with that, obviously, he's not going to show cowboys.
It's kinda different in all the major Texas cities. That stereotype is for the smaller cities and towns and it's also found in most of the states not on the coast. Heck I've seen that good ol boy look in CA.

Old 11-05-2016, 01:16 PM
JL

8,519 posts, read 14,495,912 times
He was here in December of last year too.

When Anthony Bourdain thinks of Houston’s food scene, it’s not barbecue or burgers.
“The first great meal and most memorable great meal I had in Houston was Vietnamese,” he says, referring to Mai’s Restaurant in Midtown. “And so for me, that will always be the taste of Houston. The first really authentic, ‘just-like-Saigon’ Vietnamese I’d had in America.”

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/a...he-bayou-city/

Old 11-10-2016, 07:43 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,763,020 times
I enjoyed the segment with the Congolese family. The rest of it was pretty boring. I can't believe they went all the way to Palacios and skipped Galveston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston