Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 07:41 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times

Advertisements

1. Light rail connecting the airports to downtown and Galveston
2. Light rail loops similar to our highway loops
3. Light rail lines connecting suburbs to downtown

That's all I want
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2016, 07:45 PM

9,891 posts, read 6,595,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
But I explained in the post above. It's mostly so Houston won't end up like Austin.
Trust me lol that's not gonna happen. Wether you're talking about the city becoming hipster or liberal, it won't end up like Austin. Austin is a hipster medium sized city with the likes of Portland. Houston is too big for that. Of course there are hipster areas (Lower Westheimer obviously the most extreme example) but that doesn't mean the whole city will end up that way. New York City and Cali cities are the same way and hipsters are confined to their neighborhoods.

As for turning liberal, this process not only already started, But it's getting deep in the process. Already a liberal city it's just going more into that direction faster or slower by the day.

Old 12-04-2016, 07:53 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Trust me lol that's not gonna happen. Wether you're talking about the city becoming hipster or liberal, it won't end up like Austin. Austin is a hipster medium sized city with the likes of Portland. Houston is too big for that. Of course there are hipster areas (Lower Westheimer obviously the most extreme example) but that doesn't mean the whole city will end up that way. New York City and Cali cities are the same way and hipsters are confined to their neighborhoods.

As for turning liberal, this process not only already started, But it's getting deep in the process. Already a liberal city it's just going more into that direction faster or slower by the day.
No I wasn't really talking about them becoming liberal or hipster, sorry. I meant Houston becoming too crowded for the infrastructure and expensive. I hear the job market is really tight and there are PhDs working at shoe stores. The city ordinances are also a bit to bear so yeah I guess I am afraid of some of the liberalism

Old 12-04-2016, 08:25 PM

986 posts, read 1,272,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Built View Post
Cheaper housing? It's some of the cheapest in the US.
But that wasn't the question. I didn't ask for it to be some of the cheapest in the nation. I asked for it to be cheaper that it is. We're naming things we wish we could have, right? I wish I could have paid less for my same house in my same neighborhood.

Old 12-04-2016, 08:32 PM

702 posts, read 1,236,654 times
Lower property taxes in lieu of higher sales tax or income tax
More diversity in our restaurants
Real downtown where people can hang out at that's easily accessible like in most major cities
Better public education
Some kind of state health care system/tax

Old 12-05-2016, 12:57 AM

189 posts, read 166,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huma281 View Post
Lower property taxes in lieu of higher sales tax or income tax
Real downtown where people can hang out at that's easily accessible like in most major cities
Better public education
Some kind of state health care system/tax
Houston's restaurant scene is already pretty diverse (although it is always good to go for the gold). And please don't bring up the tired "it's all chain restaurants" trope, as that is false.

Old 12-05-2016, 04:34 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
1. Interconnected bike paths.
2. More public transportation.
3. Change property tax system (yes, a state issue, but still)

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear30 View Post
3. I think the energy industry here is pretty nasty. I don't mean the people who work for the energy industry, but the industry itself does a lot of environmentally horrible things. At this point, you're contradicting science to think otherwise. I don't wish for people to lose their jobs or anything like that, but I'd like to see that industry diversify and look more toward the future and alternative energies.
Yes, all the modern conveniences and technology, like computers, are just annoying. Let's return to things like all metal cars, transistors, etc. Nothing beats 1940's technology.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2602925/

Old 12-05-2016, 08:44 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Better public transit. Id love a rail system at least like what Dallas has with DART. I fly a lot and it would be a dream to have rail access to Bush and Hobby.

But it probably wont happen soon.

Old 12-05-2016, 08:47 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huma281 View Post

How? Houston has one of the most diverse restaurant scenes in the US.

Old 12-05-2016, 08:48 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,093,969 times
1) Mass transit system
2) Better weather so we can walk/bike to work from the multitude of train stations where our freeways used to be
3) More healthy but affordable eating out options

I did really like the mention of mosquitoes, but the list is only 3...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston