Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 11:30 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,484,606 times

Advertisements

There is nothing wrong with HISD, I was just pointing to the fact 77077 was not in SpringBranch ISD, nor in the area termed Memorial.

Bush is very good and Westside HS in that zoning. A lot people start in 77077 and work their way into 77079 or 77024.

77024 is actually not really that pretentious. But it is more expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 09:27 PM

1 posts, read 4,644 times
Default Just a good Jewish boy from Long Island...

Both those zips are winners mostly. Not all of 77024 is uber-wealthy, I own a rental property in Bayou Bend that is not at all super rich (it rents for 900 a month, all bills included).

77024 is Hunter's Creek elementary however, if your daugther is of that age I'd jump at that school. She won't learn any more or less than the other SB elementary schools (or Briargrove down the road on San Felipe whch is HISD I think) but she'll make life long contacts with the sons and daughters of Houston's rich and powerful (before they all go to Kinkaid...)

As a fellow NY Jew I hate to break it to you but the closest truly Jewish community is a bit of a drive. Take I-10 East to I-95 North until you hit Jersey...

Old 03-03-2008, 06:24 PM

257 posts, read 986,360 times
Default zip codes

It really is funny reading all these posts that only old Texans live in these area codes listed,I live in San Joaquin subdivision in Friendswood and all homes here are over a million and go up to six million.Most of the people i know are native
Texans and work downtown as i do.Its a load of crap that the only wealthy people live inside the loop.Get over the snooty attitudes lots of native Texans in the burbs that are rich and we send our kids to the public school because its good.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:26 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,444,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
3-The dynamics of 77079 has changed dramatically in the past two-three years. Ghetto areas? Hell there're pockets of ghetto in 77024, Champions, Sugarland, Katy and The Woodlands. It's the nature of Houston and I'm glad the wealthy here don't take flight and hide from it, they live near it,admit is there, take precautions and it doesn't bother them.
Alief is now the latest example; Royal Oaks is slowly changing Alief.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbucle View Post
It really is funny reading all these posts that only old Texans live in these area codes listed,I live in San Joaquin subdivision in Friendswood and all homes here are over a million and go up to six million.Most of the people i know are native
Texans and work downtown as i do.Its a load of crap that the only wealthy people live inside the loop.Get over the snooty attitudes lots of native Texans in the burbs that are rich and we send our kids to the public school because its good.

No where in this thread does it say that these areas are the ONLY place that natives live. What it does say is that majority of the makeup of these zip codes is NATIVE. Because this is what the TOPIC is about, these zips codes. There are a lot of natives, of course they don't all live there.
And this thread is about 77024 or 77079 area, not someone's burb outside of Houston. Nor did it say anything about public schools in those burbs.

oh, but San Joaquin does look very nice. 3 acres and nice, big house for 590k looks wonderful! There was another poster looking for this set up, I'll pass it on.

Last edited by EasilyAmused; 03-03-2008 at 06:53 PM..

Old 03-04-2008, 09:21 AM

14 posts, read 50,260 times
you are funny and probably right on the drive. i wish it weren't so but it feels to be true. its werid how the jewish community feels so small here, coming from nyc where you don't even think about it but here you just kind of can't help but notice.
p.s. i plan to take that drive(flight) soon!!!

Old 05-28-2008, 06:42 PM

8 posts, read 44,819 times
EVA78, I live in 77079, and I think it has the atmosphere you're looking for. We live in a 3 bdrm/2.5 bath condo near Dairy Ashford/Memorial. Within walking distance, there are 3 schools, a sports stadium, 3 grocery stores, Walgreens, several banks, at least 6 restaurants, fast food and lots of shopping. Neighbors know each other... in our complex, nosiness abounds.

We've been here 9 years and have seen only improvement in the area, including the renovation of older properties and the updating of older businesses, like Kroger.

I hope you'll find 77079 the same when you decide to explore.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plummer View Post
EVA78, I live in 77079, and I think it has the atmosphere you're looking for. We live in a 3 bdrm/2.5 bath condo near Dairy Ashford/Memorial. Within walking distance, there are 3 schools, a sports stadium, 3 grocery stores, Walgreens, several banks, at least 6 restaurants, fast food and lots of shopping. Neighbors know each other... in our complex, nosiness abounds.

We've been here 9 years and have seen only improvement in the area, including the renovation of older properties and the updating of older businesses, like Kroger.

I hope you'll find 77079 the same when you decide to explore.
It's really taking off around here isn't it?

Old 05-29-2008, 10:32 AM

14 posts, read 50,260 times
hi guys, thanks again for all your knowledge! i spent some time the last couple of weeks looking at homes in the memorial area (77079) and they all seem old but some are updated as well, they just don't seem to be what i'm looking for though. another thing is that the homes are all on regular streets meaning they're not in developments or commuities which is where i live now in sugar land. i can let my daughter out on her bike and i know she'll be ok and the fastest a car would go is about 15mph plus it'll be our neighbors anyways. we are totally new here with no friends or family so i kind of feel better having that closed in feeling in terms of safty. something else which i love is that her school which was built in august is on the premises of the development so thats incrediably convienet plus she loves it. i thought we should move after living here for about 6 months since moving from Brooklyn, NYC but I realize that the zip codes and areas are not as important to me anymore. What is that my daughter is happy and I'm comfortable here for now in sugar land. I live in a brand new house in a great area thats so close to everything except for one thing which is somewhat of a jewish community. But i guess we'll be ok, I just figure we'll move closer in to the city when my daughter gets a little older and i just learn my way around town better.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:25 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,689,699 times
Maybe you know this already, but the Jewish center isn't too terribly far from Sugar Land, relatively speaking:

Jewish Community Center Houston

Maybe you can look into that for more info about your particular area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston