Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 12:37 PM

381 posts, read 1,233,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbucle View Post
It really is funny reading all these posts that only old Texans live in these area codes listed,I live in San Joaquin subdivision in Friendswood and all homes here are over a million and go up to six million.Most of the people i know are native
Texans and work downtown as i do.Its a load of crap that the only wealthy people live inside the loop.Get over the snooty attitudes lots of native Texans in the burbs that are rich and we send our kids to the public school because its good.
I don't think there is a snooty attitude directed towards people out of the loop in nice homes(i am one of them). What I think they are statign about 77024 is that alot of these folks are pretty much blue bred's - they are more likely to be in a "status" position, or socially connected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 02:58 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,175,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownybaby View Post
I don't think there is a snooty attitude directed towards people out of the loop in nice homes(i am one of them). What I think they are statign about 77024 is that alot of these folks are pretty much blue bred's - they are more likely to be in a "status" position, or socially connected.
I think you mean "blue bloods," and 77024 is not filled with "blue bloods" in the traditional understanding of the word (i.e. people who come from established families with generational wealth. See, for example, George Bush or James A. Baker). Frankly, Houston doesn't have a whole lot of blue bloods because it is largely a new money town. And when there is inherited wealth, its usually first generation.

77024 has many high level executives, attorneys, physicians, and business owners. These are mostly people who are financially prosperous but achieved much of their wealth during their lifetimes via their own efforts (i.e. is it generally not inherited wealth).

That said, as others have noted 77024 is not entirely upscale. While most in 77024 are doing OK money wise, there are lots of upper middle class families in the area. And there are a number of modest apartments/condos and townhomes (which, I would add, are some of the best real estate values in Houston, IMHO) in 77024, too.

Last edited by professorsenator; 05-29-2008 at 03:39 PM..

Old 05-29-2008, 03:03 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times
I need a ZIP code map when y'all talk. Jeezus.

Old 05-29-2008, 03:29 PM

381 posts, read 1,233,694 times
i guess i thought 77024 was mainly the villages and unicorporated areas of houston. The whole 2 houses i have had a privilige of going to parties at were obscenely gorgeous and were from old houston money, i shouldn't assumed most people in that area were the same.

Old 05-29-2008, 03:40 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,175,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
I need a ZIP code map when y'all talk. Jeezus.
Not really--77005 is all you have to know in H-town. Everything else is a Houston wanna be.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:13 PM

759 posts, read 3,183,541 times
WEST U...NOPE...more liberals than I care for. Yup it is a Nice place, but not conservative enough for me. Plus too many dang apartments nearby. Most houses are on 5000-6000 SF lots.

However, If you work in the medical center, and need to be "at work" in 30 minutes...you do not have much choice....The only real place I like in 77005 is the shadyside area...but I have not
a) won the MegaMillion yet.
b) been moved up to CEO yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorsenator View Post
Not really--77005 is all you have to know in H-town. Everything else is a Houston wanna be.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:19 PM

40 posts, read 206,516 times
Default Jewish Sugarland

Here Eva: Chabad of Sugar Land

Old 07-09-2008, 09:35 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,048,730 times
Back to the original subject... anyone who lives in these areas who compare the schools in 77024 and 77079? Does anyone think all the slummy apartments in parts of 77079 (like around Tully/Fern) will bring the schools down and become something like another Alief in parts? A friend over there told me Thornwood Elem has really gone downhill last few years. Any areas besides Tully/Fern where the apartment blight might take over?

Old 07-09-2008, 10:53 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
take over? Those apartments have been there 30+ years. 77024 has it's shares of bad apartments too. This part of town is built out. If anything, low income apartments are getting knocked down for high dollar residental, not the opposite.

All the lower schools that I know of are excellent in both zip codes. Memorial
Middle feeds from both 77079 and 77024. Spring Branch Middle, in 77024, is not as desired.North of I-10 issues..but it's still very good. Both Memorial and Stratford are excellent. Memorial has people from north of I-10 and apartment complexes around I-10. Stratford has Tully.
It's the city, not the exburbs. There's going to be socio-economic diversity. But unlike the exburbs,it's extreme wealth/upper-middle income mixed with low income. Not much inbetween

Edit: Thornwood has always been the "apartment" school. Nottingham zoned areas are appreciating and that will only improve the school.

Old 07-15-2008, 08:55 PM

54 posts, read 271,803 times
Default 77024 vs 77079

I live in 77024 (Hedwig Village) and the hood is excellent.

I keep seeing posts that imply the area is "snooty".

I don't think that is fair.
When you live on 3/4+ acres, and your neighbor is a doctor or travels on business you will not have a lot of contact with your neighbors. By default, you are not close to your neighbors. And there is an unwritten rule in the Villages that you observe your neighbor's privacy.

Its like living in the country with a 15 minute commmute to downtown. And the city services are outstanding.

....Taxes are another story.....

77079 (south of memorial): Drove thru the area last week and was VERY impressed with the development over the last 5 years. This area is not through yet. I may consider moving there to reduce taxes after I retire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston