Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 09:14 AM

4 posts, read 3,217 times

Advertisements

I'm having a buyer from California fly in to purchase my car and drive it back to California this Friday. He'll be paying with a cashiers check, leaving for the drive on Friday and registering the car in California.

A couple of questions about this transaction:

1) Do I keep the TX plates on the vehicle?.... I'd assume that if there were no plates on the vehicle that he would eventually get pulled over somewhere along the 1500 mile trip back to Cali.

2) When should I release the title?.... Do I wait until the cashiers check clears or hand it over when he gives me the check.

Any other advice or input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2016, 11:14 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,806,092 times
You don't keep the plates.

I'd go with him to the bank to cash the check.

I'd meet in police department parking lot to do the transaction.

Old 12-07-2016, 01:03 PM

153 posts, read 144,739 times
Your buyers story sounds fishy to me. I would be highly suspicious of someone claiming they are going to fly in from Cali and buy and car a drive back the same day.

What kind of car is it? Is this a Craigslist sale?

I would tell them to bring CASH and meet you at a police station to do the transaction. Nothing less. Do NOT take a check of any kind. You are the one taking risk, not them. Play by your rules. If they want the car they will have no problem doing it.

Last edited by Texas Built; 12-07-2016 at 01:20 PM..

Old 12-07-2016, 01:23 PM

177 posts, read 201,656 times
I’ll bring you a .... “cashier’s check” today and buy the car. For $1,000 more than what you’re asking. But let’s meet somewhere that’s not a police station. Wink wink.

Old 12-07-2016, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPollito View Post
I’ll bring you a .... “cashier’s check” today and buy the car. For $1,000 more than what you’re asking. But let’s meet somewhere that’s not a police station. Wink wink.
I see you have been on Craigslist.

Old 12-07-2016, 02:20 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,283,943 times
I've flown in to buy cars and motorcycles before. It's not that odd if you're after something specific.

If it's for an Accord, something's off.

That being said, forget the cashier's check, get a bank wire. It's instant, and likely cheaper than a check for the buyer, and you have instant verification and cash in your account.
If you insist on taking a check, hang on to the title until everything clears. Personally if I was taking a check, you wouldn't get the car until it clears.

I'd keep the plates, as any tolls etc. racked up would be your responsibility. Make sure you file your paperwork with the state to have the title vacated, and the registration ended.

It should be up to the buyer to ensure they have insurance and whatever temporary tags are needed. Again, I've ridden bikes across multiple states with no tags, but insurance and the bill of sale/old title, and have never been hassled. I've been stopped once, but was on my way quickly.

Old 12-08-2016, 02:19 PM

These "1 post" people never reply. I need to quit helping them.

Old 12-22-2016, 09:41 AM

4 posts, read 3,217 times
Update:

The car I was selling was highly modified and rare, probably one of only a few in the country.

I picked the buyer up from the airport and after getting home to see the car he was immediately sure it was what he wanted. He handed me the cashiers check, we did the title paper work and bill of sale and he left that night for the journey back to Cali. I let him keep the plates on the car so that he wouldn't get hassled on his way through the multiple states he would be traveling through and filed the notification with the DMV that night online about the car having a new owner.

He made it back to Cali without any issues and the check cleared the day after I deposited it into the bank.

If this was a regular Craigslist sale I would be more hesitant to do things the way I did them but given the higher value of the car and communication I had with the buyer I was comfortable with how things went.

Everything worked out perfectly!

Old 12-22-2016, 11:00 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,296,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlemon02 View Post
Update:

The car I was selling was highly modified and rare, probably one of only a few in the country.

I picked the buyer up from the airport and after getting home to see the car he was immediately sure it was what he wanted. He handed me the cashiers check, we did the title paper work and bill of sale and he left that night for the journey back to Cali. I let him keep the plates on the car so that he wouldn't get hassled on his way through the multiple states he would be traveling through and filed the notification with the DMV that night online about the car having a new owner.

He made it back to Cali without any issues and the check cleared the day after I deposited it into the bank.

If this was a regular Craigslist sale I would be more hesitant to do things the way I did them but given the higher value of the car and communication I had with the buyer I was comfortable with how things went.

Everything worked out perfectly!
Glad everything worked out. May I know what kind of car was it. I have done out of state transactions but usually dealt carchex or alliance auto etc to get a car report and some sort of escrow.

Old 12-23-2016, 07:14 AM

670 posts, read 1,441,251 times
FYI, you're supposed to keep the plates when you sell a car. There is a temp tag that can be printed out ahead of time to cover the buyer for the transit home and I believe for about 5 days after.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: