Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 07:07 AM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I don't disagree, I just don't want city officials to get zealous and roll out with the planning and start to become an activist government. I can't wait to see what you've listed and I hope it does become world class. I just don't think that it can considering that no matter what people just don't view Houston as an alpha elite hub. And that's OK.
Doesn't matter how people view it. If it's there, flourishes and popularized, it can't be ignored. As a result, it will take care and speak for itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2016, 04:53 PM

1,658 posts, read 1,240,529 times
Downtown has a highly disproportionate amount of "institutionalized" people living in group quarters, meaning mentally ill folks and people fresh out of jail living in halfway housing. Funny how I mention this in one thread I started and the whole conversation gets squashed because I am the bad guy. Well guys, when you pretend a problem is not there you get what you ask for. Until that population is relocated, downtown will always be dead. Nothing kills the mood of a nice Saturday night out with the family at Pappas Bros than a 25 yr old brotha yelling at himself in the street.

Old 12-15-2016, 12:17 PM

9,848 posts, read 6,566,773 times
Believe it or not, the city has done a lot to improve and bring people to Downtown Houston. The first campaign started with the addition of the Convention center and the theatre district in the 80s. Then in the 2000s they started again, and brought Minute maid Park then the Toyota Center, Discovery Green, GreenStreet, Main Street Square, Houston Center, etc. You gotta give credit when its due. The Avenida Project is also supposed to be a game changer.

Old 12-15-2016, 09:59 PM

814 posts, read 759,593 times
I don't where you guys are looking, but downtown main Street where they have the den, prohibition, boots and shouts, okra ext is on fire.

Old 12-16-2016, 07:58 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBaker488 View Post
With Exxon gone and Shell now soon on the way out of downtown who's gonna be downtown to occupy the new construction of apartments & condos ?
Wow! Knew Exxon had left. Sorry to see Shell is following. That's a lot of people to take out of DT. Any news on replacement tenants?

Old 12-16-2016, 08:00 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times
Shell is just moving down the road, not moving completely out.

Old 12-16-2016, 08:43 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Shell is just moving down the road, not moving completely out.
Well, down the road is out around Highway 6. Taking 3,400 employees out of downtown is significant . . . and symbolic. Any news on new tenants?

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/n...own-tower.html

Old 12-18-2016, 01:27 AM

4,376 posts, read 4,616,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
IMO, yes. The expectations for major cities, especially global cities and aspiring global cities, is for your downtown to at least be a vibrant place to be. Or to have some energy in it. It's the core of the metro. Might not be the best or most vibrant in the city, but better than most and more vibrant than most. I can't name a major city, especially one of Houston's peers, where the downtown is not at least vibrant or has some energy in it.
I can name a major city that's definitely like downtown Houston and is considered a global city. And that's Atlanta. Atlanta has a little more activity going on downtown then Houston but not by a significant amount. Especially when you actually live there(like I do). There's pockets of energy in downtown like where CNN/ Centennial Park,Aquarium,World of Coca Cola and Philips Arena which that area is mostly flooded with tourist. If you live there and not going to see the Hawks or Falcons you try to avoid this area like the plaque. Also Peachtree street has a little life but for the most part downtown shuts down pretty early in comparison to other areas of the city. Like I stated Atlanta has more life but not by a significant amount. If your not a tourist you pretty much go to downtown to either work or just to go through it to more trendier ares like 4th Ward/ Midtown/ Little 5 Points,etc. I guess because I lived in Houston for so long I really don't care about a cities downtown anymore if i'm living in the city. I really try to avoid it all cause similar to when I lived in Houston. So many other areas of interest in both sprawling cities that you can go to.

Old 12-18-2016, 10:44 AM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
I can name a major city that's definitely like downtown Houston and is considered a global city. And that's Atlanta. Atlanta has a little more activity going on downtown then Houston but not by a significant amount. Especially when you actually live there(like I do). There's pockets of energy in downtown like where CNN/ Centennial Park,Aquarium,World of Coca Cola and Philips Arena which that area is mostly flooded with tourist. If you live there and not going to see the Hawks or Falcons you try to avoid this area like the plaque. Also Peachtree street has a little life but for the most part downtown shuts down pretty early in comparison to other areas of the city. Like I stated Atlanta has more life but not by a significant amount. If your not a tourist you pretty much go to downtown to either work or just to go through it to more trendier ares like 4th Ward/ Midtown/ Little 5 Points,etc. I guess because I lived in Houston for so long I really don't care about a cities downtown anymore if i'm living in the city. I really try to avoid it all cause similar to when I lived in Houston. So many other areas of interest in both sprawling cities that you can go to.
To be quite honest. I wasn't really thinking about Atlanta in regards to global cities or aspiring global cities with its greatest aspect being it's downtown or one of it's greatest aspects being its downtown. I was thinking of the mold of Chicago, DC, Seattle, Philadelphia, Boston, San Francisco, and of course, New York. Most global city cores around the world has their downtown as full of vibrancy, energy, and urbanity. Is downtown Atlanta one of the best parts of Atlanta?

Old 12-18-2016, 12:23 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,783,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Lived out there as well. As you know, Atlanta is spread out like crazy, but its advantage is a heavy rail line running right through the heart of the city. There would be more people in downtown Houston if they didn't have to drive or take the bus to get there. I miss the urban energy of Five Points. We don't have an answer to that in Texas. The West End in Dallas does come close, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston