Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 10:43 AM

190 posts, read 211,674 times

Advertisements

Storage units are much maligned, but can be a decent deal if used properly. By moving everything non-essential and seasonal to storage I've reclaimed probably 600 sqft of living space for $100/month. I'm in the middle of the city so I'd expect prices to be even cheaper where you live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2016, 11:05 AM

7,540 posts, read 11,570,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliana926 View Post
Wow...that's quite of a challenge, to be in a good area with good schools, over 3000 sq and be below 300k...I don't know if that's doable.
I do not think it is possible either. If you with a so so area and so so schools you might be able to find something. If your willing to move 5 to 10 miles outside 99 you might have a better chance of finding something.

Old 12-12-2016, 11:21 AM

467 posts, read 1,185,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by key2thecity View Post
On the water? I would have bought it. $335k is doable with our down payment. Where did you move to, if you don't mind me asking?
We built another house in Aliana in one of the newer section.

Old 12-12-2016, 11:39 AM

277 posts, read 304,708 times
Yes, not likely to find a 'nice' neighborhood for under 300k and over 3000 sq. ft. The 500k + priced homes were hurting badly this year...we had a builder offer US 130k off the original listing price, we would have never thought to offer such a low offer....but we could close in 2 weeks and he was eager to move a house. One house a realtor got permission to offer us a low sales price was in Harvest..it listed originally at 529k and they were willing to entertain 419k...I'm sure that there are some houses sitting (anything over 10 months on market) that would be happy to end their mortgage burden...I would either:
1. Find those sitting houses, contact five you like and offer 20% less than they're asking.

2. Get rid of 'stuff' and stay where you are. Space is relative. We have way too much 'stuff'...we have lived in 2600 sq. foot house and a 4200 sq. foot house...even with 3 kids, I much prefer the smaller house...you really don't 'need' all the junk...I kind of like that our new house in Cypress has very little storage...I buy so much less and am thankful for it...

Old 12-12-2016, 11:52 AM

61,653 posts, read 87,023,434 times
OP - lets review your wishes:
- 3000+ sqft home
- great neighborhood
- great schools
- close to medical center
- decent commutes
- cost less that $300,000 and price falling?

Nope, not going to happen.

As for the market - prices are already falling, but just a little, and not everywhere. We can't predict if they will continue to fall, or rise anytime soon. Houses in desirable areas (as you listed above) are not depreciating much, and their prices will be the first to go up again.

Last edited by elnina; 12-12-2016 at 12:03 PM..

Old 12-12-2016, 12:22 PM

360 posts, read 665,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTexas2010 View Post
I would suggest using HAR and search for homes in Lamar CISD school district (link below).

Focus on houses in Tamarron (zoned to Fulshear HS), Mcrary Meadows (zoned to Foster HS), Firethorne (Zoned to Fulshear HS), Briscoe Falls (Foster HS), Lakes of Bella Terra (Fulshear HS), Greatwood (zoned to George Ranch HS). Zip codes like 77406, 77441, 77479 are zoned to the top high school campuses in Lamar CISD.

You get more for your $ in LCISD versus comparable homes in Fort Bend and Katy ISD.

Lamar Cisd Real Estate & Homes for Sale - HAR.com

Thank you for the suggestions! I'll take a look.

Old 12-12-2016, 12:31 PM

@ma23peas... We now have three kids and I think our "stuff" has increased exponentially. And the youngest is only 10 months. I definitely purge often and I hate lots of "stuff" in general, but it still feels like we need something bigger.

I'll definitely take a look at the "sitting" homes; great idea! We were offered an amazing one in Harvest Green where they had taken $100k off. But again, we need to sell first, so we weren't able to take advantage.

@lotophage... Thanks for the suggestion. We honestly didn't think about that, it may be a valid option.

@EVERYONE THAT SAYS IT'S NOT DOABLE... you may be right but I'm still going to try to find this purple unicorn, lol. I'm willing to go up to perhaps $350k. But hey, we just got this money, after climbing some ladders quickly (a definite blessing), and I don't want to burn it all up on a house. I'm really shocked at how prices have increased.

Old 12-12-2016, 12:51 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,914,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
OP - lets review your wishes:
- 3000+ sqft home
- great neighborhood
- great schools
- close to medical center
- decent commutes
- cost less that $300,000 and price falling?

Nope, not going to happen.

As for the market - prices are already falling, but just a little, and not everywhere. We can't predict if they will continue to fall, or rise anytime soon. Houses in desirable areas (as you listed above) are not depreciating much, and their prices will be the first to go up again.
Agreed. It's like the old project management adage: Cheap, Fast, and High Quality - you can choose 2 of the 3. If you want cheap and fast, it isn't going to be high quality; if you want fast and high quality, it isn't going to be cheap.

The same applies here: Location (commute), Size, and Schools. You can choose 2 of the three with respect to cost. A lot of people choose Schools and Size and sacrifice commute, which is what I proposed in my suggestions.

Old 12-12-2016, 01:08 PM

469 posts, read 1,100,657 times
You will not find new for less than $115/sq ft in Sienna but you can find preexisting for the price range you are looking at. I would confine it to the Steep Bank Trace area.

Old 12-12-2016, 01:43 PM

Thank you to those that have responded. I love the honesty in these forums.

I believe our best bet is preexisting as Liljo22 has stated. I have found a few for slightly under $300k. I posted to see if I was overlooking any other options that don't require an eagle eye and immediate offer on HAR, but I suppose I'm not. I guess this is just the new market. One reply suggested places like Tamarron and other new MPCs in Katy. The schools, price, and size would work out, but our commutes are already 45 minutes to an hour, one way. I can't add another 20 - 30 minutes to that.

I'm mostly interested in Aliana and Harvest Green so that I can stay in my area, keep my oldest in her schools, and "upgrade" neighborhoods. I thinkI can find what I want if I keep an eye out and we sale soon.

However, can anyone suggest anything in the Pearland/Clear Creek/Alvin ISD areas? My husband is from Clear Lake, and as much as I try to ignore it, lol, I have to consider areas in the East as well. I prefer our current area 100%. However, this new home will be our "forever" home, if possible, so we have to decide whether to move closer to family or stay where we are.

Last edited by key2thecity; 12-12-2016 at 01:46 PM.. Reason: a little backstory
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston