Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 08:03 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,233,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas retail updater View Post
I dribbled hot coffee down the front of my shirt hearing this. What is going on? Did anyone else hear this news about BP's relocation and its opinion that Denver will become the new global center for energy?
Quote:
I'm sure it wouldn't happen over night if they are right. See, the argument is that the nation is transitioning from being a major oil importer to that of an exporter of it. This transition will cause a shifting of the industry away from Houston eventually to elsewhere.
Look, I get it that you are trying to bad-news Houston, but at least get your facts straight. One small division, with less than 5% of BP's American workforce, is relocating to Denver because almost all of their work is in that area. That's it.

BP is a monster in off-shore oil. They just announced a multi-billion dollar new project in the Gulf. All that is based in Houston. They also have a small onshore drilling division, based in Houston, but with 75% of their work in the Rockies. They decided to move it to Denver, to cut down on travel expenses. End of story.

Quote:
Indeed, I remember reading that there is 300 years of oil reserves trapped in the rock around Denver.
And there is 2,000 years of easier-to-get-to oil in the Permian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwarnecke View Post
This move is a bit strange, but maybe someone in BP thought employees were spending too much on travel up to Colorado and Wyoming.
Winner winner chicken dinner!

Quote:
Of course, this is just the United States division.

Quote:
When was the last time you heard of an energy company relocating away from Houston? Devon relocating wasn't the norm. If it happens again, I will bump this thread and we will talk about it. In other words, having more energy companies decentralize away from Houston in this new energy market is a real possibility. Take care.
Companies move all the time. They get a new CEO, he wants to be in Tulsa. They sign a giant lease for shale in the Permian, they move to Midland.

But for every one that moves out of Houston, ten more move here.

Sorry Dallas-person, but nothing has changed... Houston Rules and Dallas drools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2016, 09:37 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,186,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Yeah but how do taxes and insurance compare? Those are two big things that keep home values down here. Even compared to Central Texas a house with a significantly higher value would cost the same monthly. Creative financing seems to have made a comeback as well.
I can speak to this....property taxes in Denver are much lower. We paid about 1/3 there as we do here on a comparably priced home. And had I not lived in Stapleton (which is a special district taxed about 40% higher than the rest of Denver), my taxes would have been lower still. Of course, there is a state income tax....it's a flat tax of 4.63%. Homeowners insurance is very comparable between the two cities, unless you have to pay for flood and wind and hail here, which we do, but would point out is a voluntary purchase based on where you choose to buy a house.

Prices within Denver City and County are very high compared to here, but to people from California and other coastal areas, they are not bad. It's all about perspective. The average sales price in Stapleton where I lived (Denver proper) is in the mid 500's. However, it is still possible for you to find suburban homes around 400K. You will commute (no different than here) and you certainly won't get as much house for your money. Then again, look at the prices in places like Westbury and Meyerland where 40 year old Ranch houses go for 400K.

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 12-16-2016 at 09:47 AM..

Old 12-16-2016, 09:49 AM

254 posts, read 191,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Look, I get it that you are trying to bad-news Houston, but at least get your facts straight. One small division, with less than 5% of BP's American workforce, is relocating to Denver because almost all of their work is in that area. That's it.

BP is a monster in off-shore oil. They just announced a multi-billion dollar new project in the Gulf. All that is based in Houston. They also have a small onshore drilling division, based in Houston, but with 75% of their work in the Rockies. They decided to move it to Denver, to cut down on travel expenses. End of story.

And there is 2,000 years of easier-to-get-to oil in the Permian.

Winner winner chicken dinner!

Companies move all the time. They get a new CEO, he wants to be in Tulsa. They sign a giant lease for shale in the Permian, they move to Midland.

But for every one that moves out of Houston, ten more move here.

Sorry Dallas-person, but nothing has changed... Houston Rules and Dallas drools.
Shouldn't a person be able to come into the Houston section of this forum and ask an intelligent question? For every fifty energy companies relocating towards Houston, one will relocate away from it. It is noteworthy that a major energy company has decided to decentralize part of itself away from Houston.

Old 12-16-2016, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
In other words you didn't hear or read any such claim by anybody at BP or elsewhere and this thread was just a way for you to rouse some controversy and get some kicks !

No company or industry is ever bound to any City or location so there has always been the possibility for change in any industry. We already knew that. Have a nice day !
You are the one messing up this thread. I inquired about the significance of the move. I should have gone to the Denver section to discuss this none event.

By the way, having energy companies decide to decentralize away from Houston would be great for the city. While Houston would still benefit from energy, having less of it would help in establishing a more diversified economy.

Old 12-16-2016, 09:58 AM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times
Quote:
Shouldn't a person be able to come into the Houston section of this forum and ask an intelligent question? For every fifty energy companies relocating towards Houston, one will relocate away from it. It is noteworthy that a major energy company has decided to decentralize part of itself away from Houston.
Your question (thread) involved fake news accounts was disingenuous and hardly intelligent IMO. So the answer to your question is , in this case NO !

Old 12-16-2016, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
I can speak to this....property taxes in Denver are much lower. We paid about 1/3 there as we do here on a comparably priced home. And had I not lived in Stapleton (which is a special district taxed about 40% higher than the rest of Denver), my taxes would have been lower still. Of course, there is a state income tax....it's a flat tax of 4.63%. Homeowners insurance is very comparable between the two cities, unless you have to pay for flood and wind and hail here, which we do, but would point out is a voluntary purchase based on where you choose to buy a house.

Prices within Denver City and County are very high compared to here, but to people from California and other coastal areas, they are not bad. It's all about perspective. The average sales price in Stapleton where I lived (Denver proper) is in the mid 500's. However, it is still possible for you to find suburban homes around 400K. You will commute (no different than here) and you certainly won't get as much house for your money. Then again, look at the prices in places like Westbury and Meyerland where 40 year old Ranch houses go for 400K.
I should ask you this question being as you are from Denver. Is there any way in the future that the city of Denver will develop into the global capital of the energy business? I think a newscaster misquoted a BP representative which is why I started this thread.

Old 12-16-2016, 10:15 AM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times
Quote:
I should ask you this question being as you are from Denver. Is there any way in the future that the city of Denver will develop into the global capital of the energy business? I think a newscaster misquoted a BP representative which is why I started this thread.

Which Newscaster on which station ?

Old 12-16-2016, 10:16 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,585,848 times
I think it is just lower 48 BP

Old 12-16-2016, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
LOL. Might want to stick to retail. Energy companies leave Houston and consolidate in Houston all the time.

This is no big deal whatsoever, just like Exxon moving corporate from Irving would be no big deal. But you can keep wishing!
Actually, Exxon moving away from Irving would be great for that city. In turn, it would also be great for the Woodlands. It would be great for Las Colinas because of the prime property beneath and surrounding the Exxon headquarters opening it up to development.

So, it is all good.

In the early ninties, a huge number of energy companies moved away from Dallas relocating to Houston. Oddly, the loss worked out great for Dallas. The city didn't skip a beat.

Old 12-16-2016, 10:26 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,186,733 times
Quote:
I'm actually from here, but lived away from Houston between 2001-2015 in various places, most recently in Denver for 3 years before relocating back here in 2015 due primarily to a higher income potential and family considerations.

I don't know the answer to the question above. Will Denver be "the" global capital of the energy business? I can't see that happening at all, nor can I think of anyone who does (and I seriously doubt Denver would want that). Is it "a" rather large player? Well, yes, I would say it is, but it almost seems like their economy has been further trending away from energy over the past 10 years and more towards Tech and innovation (not to mention all the federal jobs that have been there a long time), as myself and Sunderpig2 previously mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston