Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 10:30 AM

89 posts, read 78,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Look, I get it that you are trying to bad-news Houston, but at least get your facts straight. One small division, with less than 5% of BP's American workforce, is relocating to Denver because almost all of their work is in that area. That's it.

BP is a monster in off-shore oil. They just announced a multi-billion dollar new project in the Gulf. All that is based in Houston. They also have a small onshore drilling division, based in Houston, but with 75% of their work in the Rockies. They decided to move it to Denver, to cut down on travel expenses. End of story.

And there is 2,000 years of easier-to-get-to oil in the Permian.

Winner winner chicken dinner!

Companies move all the time. They get a new CEO, he wants to be in Tulsa. They sign a giant lease for shale in the Permian, they move to Midland.

But for every one that moves out of Houston, ten more move here.

Sorry Dallas-person, but nothing has changed... Houston Rules and Dallas drools.
Yes indeed, it drools over Houston's dominance to the point of insanity, as we see from this desperate raving anti-Houston crusader...grasping at ANYTHING in hopes of dissing Houston to boost the struggling (near bankruptcy) Dallas. Forget about BP, their time would be better spent on the Dallas threads, looking for a buyer for perilously and financially strapped Dallas-based retailer Neiman Marcus, which could go belly-up any moment if they don't find a buyer and could start closing stores and down-sizing.

If they do find a buyer, the new owner may move the HQ to somewhere else they feel is best for them, especially if they prefer to do business out of New York (the fashion capital of America, like Houston is the OG/Energy capital). Sad day for retail in Dallas these days. Meanwhile, retail in Houston is booming, especially luxury...a new luxury wing just opened yesterday at the ever-expanding Houston Galleria, connecting it to the new Saks Fifth Avenue flagship (2nd only to the New York flagship).

A BP HQ of 200 will hardly be missed in Houston, but a collapse of NM will blow a hole in Dallas' inflated hyped retail fantasm. Let's hope they find a buyer. How much is that doggie in the window?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2016, 10:39 AM

254 posts, read 190,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Which Newscaster on which station ?
If this was truly a none event, you would be justified in lambasting me. But this is not a none event. Why are you trying to suppress it as so?

Lighten up.

Look, I grew up splitting time between both Houston and Dallas. I am wearing this title because I have decided to keep up with Dallas retail. I attended U of H where I majored in creative writing and minored in philosophy. Quit acting like a frightened ostrich with your head stuck in a hole in the ground. We should consider the possibilty that every major energy company is about to move away from Houston and its ship channel is about to close down.

While the city would be gone, the miracle of its economy would still remain.

Indeed, there would still remain the beaches of Galveston.

Old 12-16-2016, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCLRRE View Post
Yes indeed, it drools over Houston's dominance to the point of insanity, as we see from this desperate raving anti-Houston crusader...grasping at ANYTHING in hopes of dissing Houston to boost the struggling (near bankruptcy) Dallas. Forget about BP, their time would be better spent on the Dallas threads, looking for a buyer for perilously and financially strapped Dallas-based retailer Neiman Marcus, which could go belly-up any moment if they don't find a buyer and could start closing stores and down-sizing.

If they do find a buyer, the new owner may move the HQ to somewhere else they feel is best for them, especially if they prefer to do business out of New York (the fashion capital of America, like Houston is the OG/Energy capital). Sad day for retail in Dallas these days. Meanwhile, retail in Houston is booming, especially luxury...a new luxury wing just opened yesterday at the ever-expanding Houston Galleria, connecting it to the new Saks Fifth Avenue flagship (2nd only to the New York flagship).

A BP HQ of 200 will hardly be missed in Houston, but a collapse of NM will blow a hole in Dallas' inflated hyped retail fantasm. Let's hope they find a buyer. How much is that doggie in the window?
A company decided to relocate away from Plano as well causing me to be shocked by that also. Dallas could lose all its banks which actually happened. It could also lose all its energy companies to Houston which also happened.

It will never lose its retail. However, there will always be bloodbaths. If one is afraid of that, don't snap on that chin strap and compete.

Please post your opinion in the luxury thread I started. It is off topic here.

Old 12-16-2016, 10:57 AM

20,510 posts, read 33,424,351 times
Reincarnation of Mr.Nifty.

Old 12-16-2016, 10:59 AM

6,271 posts, read 7,456,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas retail updater View Post
If this was truly a none event, you would be justified in lambasting me. But this is not a none event. Why are you trying to suppress it as so?

Lighten up.

Look, I grew up splitting time between both Houston and Dallas. I am wearing this title because I have decided to keep up with Dallas retail. I attended U of H where I majored in creative writing and minored in philosophy. Quit acting like a frightened ostrich with your head stuck in a hole in the ground. We should consider the possibilty that every major energy company is about to move away from Houston and its ship channel is about to close down.

While the city would be gone, the miracle of its economy would still remain.

Indeed, there would still remain the beaches of Galveston.

The thread is based on a lie, a fake quote that was never uttered, this has become obvious. You are the one trying to brush this aside by refusing to identify your source. What Houston's position is in the energy industry is of course topical to this forum, and I would love to see and participate in threads that reflect a genuine attempt to discuss that in depth. But this is not such a thread because it is based on a lie with disingenuous motives.

Last edited by Jack Lance; 12-16-2016 at 11:10 AM..

Old 12-16-2016, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Your question (thread) involved fake news accounts was disingenuous and hardly intelligent IMO. So the answer to your question is , in this case NO !
I have never wondered why a Houston poster would be commenting in the Dallas section of the forum which often happens. You are painting me out to be a troll here. I not only read both Dallas and Houston papers, but I am old enough to have read the Houston Post and the Dallas Times Herald when they were around.

I quit posting in the thread you keep up in the Houston section because you are far too sensitive. This is why I started a new thread to discuss this topic.

Old 12-16-2016, 11:16 AM

Quote:
The thread is based on a lie, a fake quote that was never uttered, this has become obvious. You are the one trying to brush this aside by refusing to identify your source. What Houston's position is in the energy industry is of course topical to this forum, and I would love to see and participate in threads that reflect a genuine attempt to discuss that in depth. But this is not such a thread because it is based on disingenuous motives.
A lie would have been claiming a relocation had happened when it didn't. My misunderstanding of the facts is inconsequential to the fact it did happen. I have hypothesized before in here the potential that, because our nation is fast moving towards a major importer of energy to that of a major exporter of it, the major energy companies in Houston would begin decentralizing away relocating towards other cities in the interior.

This is partly the reason I dribbled hot coffee down the front of my shirt.

Old 12-16-2016, 11:24 AM

6,271 posts, read 7,456,487 times
Quote:
I have never wondered why a Houston poster would be commenting in the Dallas section of the forum which often happens. You are painting me out to be a troll here. I not only read both Dallas and Houston papers, but I am old enough to have read the Houston Post and the Dallas Times Herald when they were around.

I quit posting in the thread you keep up in the Houston section because you are far too sensitive. This is why I started a new thread to discuss this topic.
No you stopped because I wouldn't let you hijack the thread for your piddely stream of conscience rantings.

Quote:
A lie would have been claiming a relocation had happened when it didn't. My misunderstanding of the facts is inconsequential to the fact it did happen. I have hypothesized before in here the potential that, because our nation is fast moving towards a major importer of energy to that of a major exporter of it, the major energy companies in Houston would begin decentralizing away relocating towards other cities in the interior.

This is partly the reason I dribbled hot coffee down the front of my shirt.
Yawnnnnnn! asked and answered several times in this thread.

Last edited by Jack Lance; 12-16-2016 at 11:49 AM..

Old 12-16-2016, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Reincarnation of Mr.Nifty.
I am not nor have I ever been a troll. I am not a t-word. Please quit trying to paint me into a corner as one and ruining this thread. Again, notice the thesis above that I submitted pertaining ti the topic.

If I owned an energy company and had you all on board as my advisors, I'd fire the lot of you. No, on second thought, I would e-mail you your ternmination papers.

Old 12-16-2016, 11:38 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,413,310 times
Jeez, this has been a lively thread! If the OP wanted to incite a flurry of responses in a short time, he sure succeeded.

BP's official announcement just said that it wanted its Lower 48 division to be closer to its “substantial operating asset position in the Rocky Mountain region and an important energy hub of the future”. Not that Denver would replace Houston in the role it has now as an (or the) worldwide energy hub.

I will add that BP has said that "a number of employees" will be moved from Houston to Denver as part of the initial 200-person office there. They didn't say how many of the 200 would come from Houston, where they currently have about 5000. BP's Division CEO for Lower 48 also said that “Houston will remain a large and important center for our business, and we have no plans to change that".

Last edited by madrone2k; 12-16-2016 at 11:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston