Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2017, 08:08 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,302,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3shipguy View Post
Please define fairly common because those conditions do not exist everyday from November to April.
From 1981-2016, 38% of days between Nov-April feature highs in the 70s.

1.) Source: National Weather Service Climate
2.) Monthly Summarized Data
3.) Set Variable as 'Max Temp' and Summary as 'Number of Days'
4.) Subtract # days ≥70 from # days < 80. You then have the number of days with temps in the 70s. Divide by the total number of days in those months, then multiply by 100 to get the percentage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 08:11 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,498,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post

4.) Subtract # days ≥70 from # days < 80. You then have the number of days with temps in the 70s. Divide by the total number of days in those months, then multiply by 100 to get the percentage.

WTG Texyn I was looking all over for stats like these ! Now we won't have to hand count the days next fall one at a time !

Old 08-01-2017, 08:19 PM

18,132 posts, read 25,282,316 times
Quote:
Don't waste your time
They are going to complain that winter in Houston is not winter because there's no snow

Old 08-01-2017, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Yes, l do live in Houston. Nice, beautiful weather is about 3 months a year. Tolerable weather, not nice, is another 5 months. The rest is oppressive. Everyone has their own opinions. That's just my take. To say that Houston has great weather 3/4 out of the year is exaggeration.
Contradictory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
I did not adjust because I could not go outside with my kids and enjoy the outdoors. And I did not want to regularly spray them with DEET (terrible chemical) either. For some people being able to go outside without being miserable is conducive to good health both physical and mental. I will take occasional snow and sunshine any day over the bugs and humidity. There's a reason why Colorado is a very healthy state (ranked 10th) and Texas (40th) is not. To say though that the bad weather is only "4 months of the year" is laughable. For people considering a move to Houston they need to know this. Different strokes for different folks as they say, but don't pretend that Houston "has good weather".
Some of the healthiest, longest-lived populations on Earth are found in Okinawa, Japan, which is in the same climate zone as Houston (humid subtropical). So it's more a matter of culture than climate, and even then, the climate-type of Houston has been shown as very conducive to a healthy lifestyle (i.e. agriculture, length of warmth, rainfall, etc).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longevity_in_Okinawa
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naha#Climate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Don't waste your time
They are going to complain that winter in Houston is not winter because there's no snow
In fact, I'd like Houston winters better if those handful of cold days are eliminated (such that high temps are always 60s-70s, and low temps never below 45F).

Last edited by Texyn; 08-01-2017 at 08:52 PM..

Old 08-02-2017, 09:18 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,010,013 times
The whiners are just weird. I think they get off on making it a point to tell us Houston weather sucks as it's another point to tell us Houston sucks overall. Even when we compromise and say yes the weather is brutal and unbearable for three to four months out of the year, it's still not enough. So guys don't feed into their complex. It's obvious to the majority of everyone here who's experienced Houston weather year round, that outside of the hellish oppressive summer, the rest of the weather is actually fine and sometimes really beautiful for the rest of the year. Winters are mild and offer an escape from blizzards up north, and fall and spring can conjure up some days that are almost Southern California-like.

I mean don't go out of your way to explain this to people who have a complex. Their insistence to make people who like the city see how crappy they think it is is absurd. People have been very reasonable, nuanced and compromised about the weather. They'be compared and contrasted and offered data. But it's never enough. You're wasting your time.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:22 AM

347 posts, read 402,256 times
Quote:
I did not adjust because I could not go outside with my kids and enjoy the outdoors. And I did not want to regularly spray them with DEET (terrible chemical) either. For some people being able to go outside without being miserable is conducive to good health both physical and mental. I will take occasional snow and sunshine any day over the bugs and humidity. There's a reason why Colorado is a very healthy state (ranked 10th) and Texas (40th) is not. To say though that the bad weather is only "4 months of the year" is laughable. For people considering a move to Houston they need to know this. Different strokes for different folks as they say, but don't pretend that Houston "has good weather".
one thing I disliked about living in Houston (almost 40 years) was not being able to enjoy the outdoors during the summer, and I was a football player and later an avid golfer

yes it rains a lot but that isn't all that bad; Ike was bad

being able to golf all year round is pretty awesome though; not many places you can do that

Old 08-02-2017, 10:09 AM

1,011 posts, read 976,714 times
Quote:

So by your stats, that's less than 70 days of temps in the 70s (38% of days in houston's best 6 month period from 1982 to 2016). My math doesn't compute that to be 3/4 of the year. Heck, that's not even half of the period you stated. It's 38%. I'm not saying Houston has the worst weather. I'm just not going to pump it up like it's a subtropical paradise.

Last edited by 3shipguy; 08-02-2017 at 10:34 AM..

Old 08-02-2017, 11:27 AM

3,148 posts, read 2,050,232 times
Quote:
So by your stats, that's less than 70 days of temps in the 70s (38% of days in houston's best 6 month period from 1982 to 2016). My math doesn't compute that to be 3/4 of the year. Heck, that's not even half of the period you stated. It's 38%. I'm not saying Houston has the worst weather. I'm just not going to pump it up like it's a subtropical paradise.
Given slightly different parameters, I find that Houston has had 3,192 days of highs greater than 65 degrees and lows of less than 85 degrees between 1982 and 2016 (2017 isn't complete yet). That averages out to 94 days a year or right at three months per year. That's not bad.

Denver, since it keeps making an appearance in this thread, averages 110 days per year of these same temperature conditions. About two weeks more.

To keep this experiment going, let's look at winters. If we change the parameters simply to count the number of days where the high is less than 40 degrees, Denver averages 48 days per year. Houston? 2 days per year of highs of less than 40.

So you're talking about an extra 16 days per year of (what I consider) ideal weather in Colorado in exchange for nearly 7 weeks more of cold weather.

No thanks, I'll stick with the Houston climate.

Old 08-02-2017, 12:26 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,146,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
Given slightly different parameters, I find that Houston has had 3,192 days of highs greater than 65 degrees and lows of less than 85 degrees between 1982 and 2016 (2017 isn't complete yet). That averages out to 94 days a year or right at three months per year. That's not bad.

Denver, since it keeps making an appearance in this thread, averages 110 days per year of these same temperature conditions. About two weeks more.

To keep this experiment going, let's look at winters. If we change the parameters simply to count the number of days where the high is less than 40 degrees, Denver averages 48 days per year. Houston? 2 days per year of highs of less than 40.

So you're talking about an extra 16 days per year of (what I consider) ideal weather in Colorado in exchange for nearly 7 weeks more of cold weather.

No thanks, I'll stick with the Houston climate.
But are you factoring in humidity? That is the dealbreaker.

Old 08-02-2017, 12:45 PM

Quote:
So by your stats, that's less than 70 days of temps in the 70s (38% of days in houston's best 6 month period from 1982 to 2016). My math doesn't compute that to be 3/4 of the year. Heck, that's not even half of the period you stated. It's 38%.
I already listed the percentage as 38%. The point is that there are a substantial number of days in the 70s between Nov and April, so Jack Lance is not wrong in his assessment.

Upper 60s and lower 80s are also temperatures that many find comfortable. Using the same method, 67% of days in Houston between Nov-April have high in the 65F-85F range (greater than or equal to 65, but less than 85).

Quote:
I'm not saying Houston has the worst weather. I'm just not going to pump it up like it's a subtropical paradise.
Good for you.

Quote:
But are you factoring in humidity? That is the dealbreaker.
Less than half of days from Nov-April have dewpoints that can be considered muggy:
https://weatherspark.com/y/9247/Aver...-United-States
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston