Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 06:14 PM

153 posts, read 144,720 times

Advertisements

Funny how people on here put quick access to bars full of 25 year old guys on a priority list higher than quick access to work.

I guarantee none of these people telling you to do the 45+ minute drive twice daily for no reason are willing to do it themselves. If their job was in The Woodlands, I guarantee none of them would chose to live downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2016, 07:26 PM

1,559 posts, read 2,369,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Built View Post
Funny how people on here put quick access to bars full of 25 year old guys on a priority list higher than quick access to work.

I guarantee none of these people telling you to do the 45+ minute drive twice daily for no reason are willing to do it themselves. If their job was in The Woodlands, I guarantee none of them would chose to live downtown.
Haha, yes. In other words, "live close to your work!" (Only if you work downtown) If you work in the suburbs, don't live there! Only live downtown and make the commute every day.

Old 12-23-2016, 02:01 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,153,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Built View Post

I have friends the do. I'm just thinking about someone who lives in Chicago and is used to the city life.

I will put it this way for you guys. This is an average week for somone who live is in the loop. 30+ somone who doesn't drive a fancy car and not just looking to get laid.

Monday - Take it easy

Tuesday - I'm just going to stay home and watch a show. A friend calls and asks if you wnat to have dinner...walk a couple of blocks and hang out with friends. Oh wait, I just scored tickets to the ballgame...come join. Cubs suck

Wednesday - Take it easy. Nevermind, there is a Young Professionals Meetup at the local bar.

Thursday - What? There is an event going on at the zoo...free booze and bites to eat? Yeah, I'm in. Another mixer at the Museum of Fine Arts.

Friday - Meet with friends for dinner and drinks.

Saturady - Hey, there is a great band playing.

Sunday - Take it easy. Nevermind, I just got invited to brunch. Brunch just turned into an all day event.

No driving at all.

Sure, you can live in the Woodlands and eat at the same place and drink at the same bar every weekend. That just doesn't sound fun to me.

Last edited by Mr. Krinkle; 12-23-2016 at 03:15 AM..

Old 12-23-2016, 05:55 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Krinkle View Post
I have friends the do. I'm just thinking about someone who lives in Chicago and is used to the city life.

I will put it this way for you guys. This is an average week for somone who live is in the loop. 30+ somone who doesn't drive a fancy car and not just looking to get laid.

Monday - Take it easy

Tuesday - I'm just going to stay home and watch a show. A friend calls and asks if you wnat to have dinner...walk a couple of blocks and hang out with friends. Oh wait, I just scored tickets to the ballgame...come join. Cubs suck

Wednesday - Take it easy. Nevermind, there is a Young Professionals Meetup at the local bar.

Thursday - What? There is an event going on at the zoo...free booze and bites to eat? Yeah, I'm in. Another mixer at the Museum of Fine Arts.

Sunday - Take it easy. Nevermind, I just got invited to brunch. Brunch just turned into an all day event.

No driving at all.

Sure, you can live in the Woodlands and eat at the same place and drink at the same bar every weekend. That just doesn't sound fun to me.
Since you seem to believe there is one bar and one restaurant in The Woodlands, you might not be the best person to provide input on this thread.

Old 12-23-2016, 08:27 AM

569 posts, read 1,078,149 times
So much in-fighting *geez*...
I look forward to hearing where the OP chooses to live and how she feels 6 months to a year after the move.

Just don't go buy a home immediately when you move. This way you'll have flexibility and know where you'd rather live. You will be fine.

Welcome to Houston.

Old 12-23-2016, 10:20 AM

447 posts, read 487,647 times
Quote:

Monday - Take it easy

No driving at all.

Sure, we don't have ZOO in TW. :-) sorry to burst your bubble, but what you describing is completely doable here. Restaurants everywhere, all the time some different band, brunches, don't know about meetup at a local bar, I'm married for 20 years:-) but I bet with you there's something somewhere around, too. Sure, no museums here, but Pavilion gives you all kind of entertainment.

Old 12-23-2016, 10:27 AM

447 posts, read 487,647 times
OP, sure, suburbs are not that great for singles, it was always more family oriented, but there are single people all over. TW is like nest for people all over, Spring too. Absolutely, it's not Chicago, or NYC lol, but we have entertainment, bars and restaurants here. Something is going on every day. Everything depends on your approach to your new area. Even inside Loop Houston is not Chicago.:-)

Good luck with your decision and moving.

Old 12-23-2016, 01:12 PM

153 posts, read 144,720 times
Quote:

No driving at all.

No driving at all???????? Besides that 1 hour hell drive each way, every day. She has to work. She's not going to be doing dinner and drinks all day. And after doing that 45 hell drive after working all day she's not going to be in the mood to go out to impress bars full of 25 year old guys in midtown anyways.

Old 12-23-2016, 01:24 PM

675 posts, read 1,452,778 times
Y'all. It's not that complicated. Live in the Heights (or surrounding areas - Washington Heights, Rice Military, etc) and commute to TW. I'm on I-10 in 2-3 mins, straight shot up 45, on 610 for a little bit (maybe 1-2 miles), and straight up Hardy Toll Road. 30 mins tops. You are always going against traffic.

I lived in The Woodlands, and as a single professional, The Heights is the perfect location to everything that the inner loop has to offer. Market Street and surrounding restaurants/bars, gets old real quick.

Either way, you can try out TW and if you don't like it, you can always move into town. Nothing is permanent. Good luck!

Old 12-23-2016, 02:50 PM

190 posts, read 211,626 times
I'm curious how often people who both live and work in The Woodlands actually come into central Houston. Living in the loop, I almost never meet anyone from there. I mean, I meet people from Pearland and Sugar Land all the time. But people from the northern suburbs seem to stay up there. Maybe my impression is way off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston