Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 08:05 PM

89 posts, read 79,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
Best is a subjective term. Ive lived in Houston and Dallas and neither is the best at everything.
They're both great cities, I honestly believe that. On their own, they're not perfect and know they have work to do. But they both do their part to make our state awesome and great, as do the others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2016, 08:53 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,726,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Don't you think there is some middle ground there between the pretty and the a$$ ugly, lets say at least 20% or more, especially if we consider all of Greater Houston ?
Dallas has a lot more middle ground. Houston has middle ground in the form of Katy and Sugar Land, but not as much in the city.

Old 12-21-2016, 11:55 PM

3,139 posts, read 2,043,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
Dallas has a lot more middle ground. Houston has middle ground in the form of Katy and Sugar Land, but not as much in the city.
Dallas "middle ground" in this context is to me a bit more consistent throughout the city. But I do think the city of Houston has more mid-type neighborhoods than given credit for... places like Westbury, TC Jester area ITL, Spring Branch, etc come to mind.

The part of Houston that really, to me, doesn't have an equal in Texas is Uptown. The area reminds me of a mini version of Wilshire Blvd. in West LA. It's visually stunning in my view.

Old 12-22-2016, 06:24 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,178,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCLRRE View Post
They're both great cities, I honestly believe that. On their own, they're not perfect and know they have work to do. But they both do their part to make our state awesome and great, as do the others.
^^ This right here. I also like both cities, and many others as well.

Why is it often so difficult on these C-D forums to find people who love someplace (or something), but at the same time, offer and accept constructive criticism? And I'm not talking about anyone specific, just in general.

Old 12-22-2016, 07:17 AM

18,122 posts, read 25,262,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
City usually means a" lot" of people. As I posted before, in another thread, the laws of the universe state that if an entity is not expanding then it is usually contracting ,which of course, is not good for a city.
Is this a joke?
You don't realize that more people means more demand for public services?

Old 12-22-2016, 07:34 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,726,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
^^ This right here. I also like both cities, and many others as well.

Why is it often so difficult on these C-D forums to find people who love someplace (or something), but at the same time, offer and accept constructive criticism? And I'm not talking about anyone specific, just in general.
I feel you. If I wasn't living in Houston, I would be living back in Dallas. I moved to Houston from Dallas and I enjoyed Dallas as much as I enjoy Houston.

In these Houston vs. Dallas pissing matches, people always try to argue that one city is better than the other at everything. Its just not the case. Both cities have things they are better than the other at.

Old 12-22-2016, 09:09 AM

6,287 posts, read 7,491,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Is this a joke?
You don't realize that more people means more demand for public services?

Should we stop national and world population growth ? No more Venezuelans and Canadians than there are now, they create demand you know ?

Old 12-24-2016, 02:43 PM

4 posts, read 2,707 times
Default Uptown visually stunning?!?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
Dallas "middle ground" in this context is to me a bit more consistent throughout the city. But I do think the city of Houston has more mid-type neighborhoods than given credit for... places like Westbury, TC Jester area ITL, Spring Branch, etc come to mind.

The part of Houston that really, to me, doesn't have an equal in Texas is Uptown. The area reminds me of a mini version of Wilshire Blvd. in West LA. It's visually stunning in my view.

I moved to Houston from Boston with my wife and we ended up in Uptown. It is the ugliest thing I've ever seen. I suppose if you drive there only to ascend a 100 floor condo you'll find it reasonable, but not if you're looking at it on the ground. Its cultural center is a mall, there is no community harmony, not to mention the lack of any zoning (and therefore, no aesthetic appeal). I can't wait to escape Uptown.

Old 12-24-2016, 02:46 PM

4 posts, read 2,707 times
Default not Houston

I'm doing second to what appears to be life in Houston. It is a grotesque monstrosity with no aesthetic appeal. Austin is the only city in Texas with any beauty to it, but apparently the rest of Texas knows this, too, and the housing prices are too high. Honestly, the best city in Texas is an oxymoron.

Old 12-25-2016, 07:02 AM

3,139 posts, read 2,043,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zionovic82 View Post
I moved to Houston from Boston with my wife and we ended up in Uptown. It is the ugliest thing I've ever seen. I suppose if you drive there only to ascend a 100 floor condo you'll find it reasonable, but not if you're looking at it on the ground. Its cultural center is a mall, there is no community harmony, not to mention the lack of any zoning (and therefore, no aesthetic appeal). I can't wait to escape Uptown.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Personally, Boston is one of my least favorite cities in the nation (not necessarily for aesthetic reasons, but for QOL, personal liberty, and weather reasons).

If you don't like uptown and Houston I'm sure that there are many different places you'd like better. I'll be the first to admit Houston isn't for everyone.

But I'll stand by my original statement that in my view, Uptown is a gorgeous area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston