Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 10:32 AM

3,266 posts, read 5,632,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen9921 View Post
Ugggghhhh, my gas bill from running my heater is going to be record high. I went today to BBB and got me an electric blanket. I am sure it will be worn out soon.

Karen, Karen........throw your electric blanket away (or leave it on the sofa for when you're watching TV). Go get an electric mattress pad.....they rock! They're warmer at the feet where you need it! They don't get as warm as an electric blanket but since you're laying on top of it it is simply devine!!!!! Don't cover it with anything but your fitted sheet or you won't get the needed heat. We have a light down comforter and a quilt and top sheet and we stay toasty at night!

And on the heating system.....when it wears out get your HVAC engineer over to figure out how to split your system into an upstairs and downstairs separate units. Also try to separate the up from downstairs with a door if possible. 2-story houses are a nightmare to heat and cool porperly.......as you now know!

I'm liking this cool weather.....I dress up and spend the day out in the woods when I'm not at work.....and I'm going out now! Y'all have a good one!

Old 12-06-2006, 10:40 AM

84 posts, read 761,298 times
Default Highs in the 70's (4+ days) beginning Sunday

I agree with the warm weather people. If I have to wear a jacket life is not good. The forcast says today will get up to 71, then it will cool down. Once Sunday comes the forcast says highs in the 70's for 4-6 days. Freezing, cold, shoveling snow. That is ok for me though... when I'm on vacation skiing!

Old 12-06-2006, 11:02 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,919,738 times
Cold Canadian, although I hate the summers here in Texas, I once spent the longest week of my life in Calgary - in early JANUARY. It was -35 degrees for three of the five days I was there on business and brutha is that cold! It wasn't really bad though unless the wind was blowing, which could kill. Too cold for me as are the Texas summers too hot for me. I need to move up north a few hundred miles I guess.

Old 12-06-2006, 01:52 PM

45 posts, read 279,351 times
Hey Bob Tex, I have thought about a 2nd unit but my problem is that my 2nd story is all open. My first floor goes all the way up, only thing closed with doors are the bedrooms. I loved the floor plan when I bought the house, boy was I not thinking. We hear every noise the kids make. Game room may as well be in our living room. Hey and I will have to check into that heater pad, sounds like something I will for sure invest in. It warmed up today for a short while, thought that Heat was headed back for sure. Now the temp is like dropping again. WHAT A MEAN TRICK. And it is suppose to start raining!!! WHO'S GAIN FOR CANCUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Old 12-06-2006, 02:33 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,806,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Cold Canadian, although I hate the summers here in Texas, I once spent the longest week of my life in Calgary - in early JANUARY. It was -35 degrees for three of the five days I was there on business and brutha is that cold! It wasn't really bad though unless the wind was blowing, which could kill. Too cold for me as are the Texas summers too hot for me. I need to move up north a few hundred miles I guess.
Sounds like we have another transplant headed to the southern Appalaichians.

We've been that cold for a day or two. Windchill at -40 something I believe. The tv news warned that expose flesh could freeze in 12 seconds. I was in 6th or 7th Grade when that happened. The teachers still made all the bussed students (which included me) to stay outside after lunch for 45 minutes like usual, even though they heard and knew about the warnings too.

Old 12-06-2006, 02:39 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,806,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen9921 View Post
Hey Bob Tex, I have thought about a 2nd unit but my problem is that my 2nd story is all open. My first floor goes all the way up, only thing closed with doors are the bedrooms. I loved the floor plan when I bought the house, boy was I not thinking.
Our house has a large common hallway and all the rooms have doors facing it. Ours is fairly evenly heated and cooled, except it's always about 5 F cooler in our "finished" basement. We have central heat and air. All of our vents are on the floor so it heats up evenly, but with the A/C on, to me it feels like walking in ice cream below 79 F.

Do people put insulation in the roofs down there? We have 6-10 inch thick insulation everywhere and most windows are "double-payned." If you have a leak and water got into your insulation it will keep the insulation from working, just like wearing wet clothes.

Old 12-06-2006, 02:42 PM

87 posts, read 304,219 times
Here is something interesting...

I just checked out the discussion from the Corpus Christi National Weather Service office and they have sleet in the forecast down to the west of the coastal counties in that area on Friday!

Also, The Houston National Weather Service is forecasting 30F and "rain" for north Houston on Friday night (which if that really happened would likely mean ice).

This will be something to watch closely for sure! (Though I wouldn't expect any of the local news stations or weather.com to mention even the possibility of winter weather at this point because it is still very uncertain).

Old 12-06-2006, 03:50 PM

84 posts, read 761,298 times
It is also strange that the forcast highs for Corpus Chriti are lower than those for Houston. Even though they are farther south, a little west of Corpus is sometimes colder than west of Houston

Old 12-06-2006, 04:40 PM

45 posts, read 279,351 times
30's friday with ice, my oh my this is not good at all. You know us Texans get a little road crazy trying to drive in that mess. About the insulation, I do need more for sure. We blow it in our attics, and in the walls. My house is 30 years old so it heats and cools like it is 30 years old. My house is 2800 square feet and I have a 5 ton. I don't see anyway possible to have two units because my floor plan is soo open. Only thing that has doors upstairs are the bedrooms. Gameroom is open and you could look down to the first story. HIGH BILLS.

Old 12-06-2006, 07:25 PM

87 posts, read 304,219 times
well there is officially no ice in the forecast yet (for Houston), but if the forecast is calling for 30F with "rain"on Friday night, then I am a bit suspicious. At the moment I think we just need to watch the situation closely, but not worry yet. The forecast can change quickly, and at the moment there are no watches, warnings or advisories issued for any winter weather in this area just yet.

We should have a much better idea by tomorrow night on the exact situation.

I do agree though that Texans can be a bit crazy in icy conditions, so let's hope we are spared from anything significant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston