Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 11:00 PM

2 posts, read 3,666 times

Advertisements

Your situation sounds very similar to mine! I am a 24-year-old single black woman also interested in film/the arts (though not involved in it professionally). However, I'll be taking the plunge and moving to Houston from the Chicago area in a couple of weeks (I am being relocated for work, so i unfortunately can't give too much guidance on job searching in Houston). The insights in this thread were very helpful and are making me that much more excited for my move! OP, I'd be happy to give you an update on my experience in a couple of months once I've settled in if you would like.

To the locals: are there any relevant events/restaurants/concert venues/etc. that I should check out (film, arts, black owned businesses)? I'll be located in Midtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2016, 12:51 AM

4,376 posts, read 4,615,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsewhere_e View Post
Your situation sounds very similar to mine! I am a 24-year-old single black woman also interested in film/the arts (though not involved in it professionally). However, I'll be taking the plunge and moving to Houston from the Chicago area in a couple of weeks (I am being relocated for work, so i unfortunately can't give too much guidance on job searching in Houston). The insights in this thread were very helpful and are making me that much more excited for my move! OP, I'd be happy to give you an update on my experience in a couple of months once I've settled in if you would like.

To the locals: are there any relevant events/restaurants/concert venues/etc. that I should check out (film, arts, black owned businesses)? I'll be located in Midtown.
If your located in Midtown then your definitely in a good location. I can hip you to some restaurants/venues/ black owned businesses and other spots that generally cater to black people in Houston.

Black owned Restaurants:
1. Esther's Cajun Cafe and Soul Food (my favorite soul food restaurant in the city and one of the best I've had anywhere in the county when it come to major cities)It's located on the Northside

2.Reggae Hut (good Caribbean Food)btw Reggae Hut is located on a lot full of black owned establishments. It's located in 3rd Ward(which is one of the more prominent black areas in Houston, it has it's rough patches but has alot of history and happening spots for black people in the Trey)

3.Midtown Grill
4.Sleepy Po Boys(located on the Southside)
5.The Breakfast Klub(rated by Good Morning America a couple years ago as having the best breakfast in the county, I think it's a bit overrated but you got to visit it atleast once) expect a long line of tourist btw.
6.Sunshine's Health Food Store (this is a Black owned Vegan spot)
7.Kitchen 713
8.Lucille's
9.Kaffeine Coffee Internet and Office Cafe(nice chill spot)
10.Burn's Original BBQ (the Original one)
11. Frenchy's Chicken (the original one located on Scott, has fallen off a bit but it's the HOUSTON thing to do, plus if you need a late night chicken fix this is it)

Concert Venues/Lounges/Clubs:
1.Arena Theater (host a lot of hip-hop and R&B concerts here)
2.Miller Outdoor Theater( they do a Motown Review like every summer)
3.Mosiac Bar and Lounge
4.Prospect Park
5.Club Riddims (where you can catch a lot of Caribbean and African people having a good time)
6.Lucy Ethiopian Restaurant and Lounge
7.Indigo at Midtown
8.Belvedere
9.Cafe 4212
10.Nu Waters Co-Op grocery store(a black owned grocery store in Third Ward)

Other places of interest that attract black crowds:
1. The Flat
2.Simone on Sunset
3.Texas Hookah Lounge
4.Sky Hookah Lounge
5.Cafe Layal Midtown
6. Avant Garden
7.Improv Comedy Club
8. The Ensemble Theater (black theater)
9. S.H.A.P.E. Community Center (always some kind of event for black people going on there)

There's a lot going on for Black Houstonians, these were just a few off the top of my head.

Old 12-30-2016, 10:15 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,765,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
If your located in Midtown then your definitely in a good location. I can hip you to some restaurants/venues/ black owned businesses and other spots that generally cater to black people in Houston.

Black owned Restaurants:
1. Esther's Cajun Cafe and Soul Food (my favorite soul food restaurant in the city and one of the best I've had anywhere in the county when it come to major cities)It's located on the Northside

2.Reggae Hut (good Caribbean Food)btw Reggae Hut is located on a lot full of black owned establishments. It's located in 3rd Ward(which is one of the more prominent black areas in Houston, it has it's rough patches but has alot of history and happening spots for black people in the Trey)

3.Midtown Grill
4.Sleepy Po Boys(located on the Southside)
5.The Breakfast Klub(rated by Good Morning America a couple years ago as having the best breakfast in the county, I think it's a bit overrated but you got to visit it atleast once) expect a long line of tourist btw.
6.Sunshine's Health Food Store (this is a Black owned Vegan spot)
7.Kitchen 713
8.Lucille's
9.Kaffeine Coffee Internet and Office Cafe(nice chill spot)
10.Burn's Original BBQ (the Original one)
11. Frenchy's Chicken (the original one located on Scott, has fallen off a bit but it's the HOUSTON thing to do, plus if you need a late night chicken fix this is it)

1.Arena Theater (host a lot of hip-hop and R&B concerts here)
2.Miller Outdoor Theater( they do a Motown Review like every summer)
3.Mosiac Bar and Lounge
4.Prospect Park
5.Club Riddims (where you can catch a lot of Caribbean and African people having a good time)
6.Lucy Ethiopian Restaurant and Lounge
7.Indigo at Midtown
8.Belvedere
9.Cafe 4212
10.Nu Waters Co-Op grocery store(a black owned grocery store in Third Ward)

Other places of interest that attract black crowds:
1. The Flat
2.Simone on Sunset
3.Texas Hookah Lounge
4.Sky Hookah Lounge
5.Cafe Layal Midtown
6. Avant Garden
7.Improv Comedy Club
8. The Ensemble Theater (black theater)
9. S.H.A.P.E. Community Center (always some kind of event for black people going on there)

There's a lot going on for Black Houstonians, these were just a few off the top of my head.
Great List!

I can add more in addition to yours.

Black owned Restaurants:
1. This Is It
2. Davis Street
3. Bar 5015 (bar too)
4. Ray's BBQ
5. Phil & Derrick's (should be opening soon)
6. Alfreda's Soul Food
7. A plethorea of Caribbean and African restaurants and markets

1. Grooves
2. Engine Room
3. DBar
4. Aroma
5. Alley Kat
6. Mosaic Lounge
7. Sugarhill
8. Epic 22
9. Carrington's
10. Social Junkie
11. Faces Lounge
12. Dolce
13. Uptown Hookah
14. Ayva
15. Fatboy's

Other places of interest that attract black crowds (some may be black owned though):
1. Aura
2. Club Life
3. Grand Luxe
4. Peli Peli
5. Gracie's Restaurant
6. Kona Grill (Galleria)
7. RA Sushi
8. Leon's Lounge
9. Davenport Lounge
10. Lumen Lounge
11. Mercy Club
12. Diablo Loco
13. Fox Hollow
14. Drink Houston
15. Mona Lisa
16. Pharaoh Hookah Lounge
17. VRSI Lounge
18. Club Pure
19. Proof Nightclub
20. Max's Wine Dive
21. Pappadeaux's (It's something about black people and this place, especially the one off 610; that one turns into a party some nights. LOL)

Houston is very black friendly. You will not be bored or lacking as a black person in Houston. You will also experience some top notch diversity!! What an icing on the cake!

With two large HBCUs located here, you will not be lacking in any events.

Last edited by SouthernBoy205; 12-30-2016 at 10:25 AM..

Old 12-30-2016, 12:24 PM

2 posts, read 3,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Great List!

I can add more in addition to yours.

Black owned Restaurants:
1. This Is It
2. Davis Street
3. Bar 5015 (bar too)
4. Ray's BBQ
5. Phil & Derrick's (should be opening soon)
6. Alfreda's Soul Food
7. A plethorea of Caribbean and African restaurants and markets

1. Grooves
2. Engine Room
3. DBar
4. Aroma
5. Alley Kat
6. Mosaic Lounge
7. Sugarhill
8. Epic 22
9. Carrington's
10. Social Junkie
11. Faces Lounge
12. Dolce
13. Uptown Hookah
14. Ayva
15. Fatboy's

Other places of interest that attract black crowds (some may be black owned though):
1. Aura
2. Club Life
3. Grand Luxe
4. Peli Peli
5. Gracie's Restaurant
6. Kona Grill (Galleria)
7. RA Sushi
8. Leon's Lounge
9. Davenport Lounge
10. Lumen Lounge
11. Mercy Club
12. Diablo Loco
13. Fox Hollow
14. Drink Houston
15. Mona Lisa
16. Pharaoh Hookah Lounge
17. VRSI Lounge
18. Club Pure
19. Proof Nightclub
20. Max's Wine Dive
21. Pappadeaux's (It's something about black people and this place, especially the one off 610; that one turns into a party some nights. LOL)

Houston is very black friendly. You will not be bored or lacking as a black person in Houston. You will also experience some top notch diversity!! What an icing on the cake!

With two large HBCUs located here, you will not be lacking in any events.
Wow!!! I definitely don't think I'll be getting bored anytime soon lol. Thank you both for those extensive lists!!

Old 12-30-2016, 12:42 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,765,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsewhere_e View Post
Wow!!! I definitely don't think I'll be getting bored anytime soon lol. Thank you both for those extensive lists!!
You're welcome. Let me know if you need anything else.

Old 12-30-2016, 01:24 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,519,884 times
Well I am not black, but here are my couple of thoughts.

First of all, Houston is a business/industrial city. Mostly oil&gas and medical.
It's not an arts center.
Compared to New Orleans (that is much smaller), Houston doesn't have much nightlife and arts.

And Houston is a modern city, built in automobile era.
This is important thing, because it makes Houston distinct from East Coast cities.
Public transportation options are limited here. Houston is not really walkable. In my opinion it makes it less vibrant.

If moving without job offer I would consider Brooklyn or Philadelphia. Both cities will offer a lot of activities, diversity, culture, arts, nightlife, walkability and great public transit options. If you are looking for southern climate, then New Orleans of course.

Old 12-30-2016, 10:40 PM

4,376 posts, read 4,615,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
Well I am not black, but here are my couple of thoughts.

First of all, Houston is a business/industrial city. Mostly oil&gas and medical.
It's not an arts center.
Compared to New Orleans (that is much smaller), Houston doesn't have much nightlife and arts.

And Houston is a modern city, built in automobile era.
This is important thing, because it makes Houston distinct from East Coast cities.
Public transportation options are limited here. Houston is not really walkable. In my opinion it makes it less vibrant.

If moving without job offer I would consider Brooklyn or Philadelphia. Both cities will offer a lot of activities, diversity, culture, arts, nightlife, walkability and great public transit options. If you are looking for southern climate, then New Orleans of course.
Houston has more to offer for black people in terms of NIGHTLIFE and overall social living then New Orleans. New Orleans nightlife get's pretty redundant as far as nightlife spots specifically for black people or that cater to mostly black people once you get outside the FQ/CBD area for transplants. Trust me I have plenty of friends(all black) from New Orleans and I go to New Orleans quite often cause of family and my fiance loves to VISIT. It's a great place to visit and get your tourist fix but living and visiting are 2 different things.

Once you get tired of going to the clubs and lounges that a lot of natives avoid cause of tourist the other areas of interest that attract black people aint necessarily welcoming to out of towner's and transplants. Especially a young woman who doesn't know the city. Not saying she'll be attacked or anything of that nature but you talking to a black man who's been in those areas at night in Uptown and The East where there are NO TOURIST.

Also both black women suggested they were into film/the arts. New Orleans is a artsy vibrant city but neither one said they were musicians, meaning they'll have a harder time in New Orleans then Houston considering there's no real ART industry there. If they both were musicians I'd say move to New Orleans but if not New Orleans would not be a place to live in comparison to Houston.

And why would you suggest them to move to Brooklyn or Philadelphia with no job when those cities are more expensive then Houston? I'm here in Atlanta now and it's a lot of New Yorkers especially Black New Yorkers and the main reason for that is due to the fact NYC was too expensive.

But you stated you weren't black and it kind of shows. Black and White Houstonians have different experiences when it comes to night life and social living.

Like I stated before if there looking for a career in film/arts Atlanta would be a better fit then Houston. But the dating scene would be better in Houston(based off what I heard about Atlanta). Cost of living is fairly cheap for both cities, Houston is a little cheaper which can go a long way. Both cities have a good night life and social scene for black people. I feel as though Atlanta's scene has a little more diversity but i'm more of a fan of Houston's social scene outside of the lounges and clubs. I know people in the film industry and arts scene in Houston. It's not impossible to have a career in any of those fields in Houston but it's just more opportunities for that industry in Atlanta.

Old 07-13-2018, 05:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,223 times
Default Come on down and try it out!

My buddy and I have a house with an extra room if you ever want to come down and take Houston for a test drive. I promise no creepiness or expectations (I suppose this is exactly what creeps would say :P ). We’re laid back, come and go as you please or I can show you around. I simply enjoy meeting new people.

Old 07-13-2018, 09:28 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,941,105 times
Gotta love this first post from a user that creepily offers living space with him and his buddy to a woman who had been asking about living in Houston two years ago.

Old 07-14-2018, 04:56 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,805,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss2732 View Post
My buddy and I have a house with an extra room if you ever want to come down and take Houston for a test drive. I promise no creepiness or expectations (I suppose this is exactly what creeps would say :P ). We’re laid back, come and go as you please or I can show you around. I simply enjoy meeting new people.
This sounds completely legit and safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston