U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2008, 11:27 PM

684 posts, read 2,001,316 times

Advertisements

We currently live in Northern CA, and are purchasing a home to live in within one to two years in Conroe. In Northern CA, heartworm in the city limits is not generally a problem, but we will be moving to a wooded area in Conroe. I told my husband we should probably start our pomeranian and yorkie on heartworm preventative meds soon, to prepare them, since we also plan to take them for "outings" at Lake Conroe. Any thoughts?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 01:16 AM

74 posts, read 433,535 times
Discuss it with your vet first. When I moved from the SF Bay Area to Houston I started the heartworm medicine for my maltese once we made the move. He never had heartworms but I probably should have started the meds a few months before our move to be on the safe side. I live in Seattle now and this past summer my vet had information out that heartworm is now affecting pets in the Pacific NW so it may now be a problem in Northern CA also.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:27 AM

407 posts, read 1,649,422 times
Yes, your dogs should been on heartworm preventative year round when you live in Texas. As far as visits, ask your vet how long before and after the visits. Heartworms enter the dog's body via bites from infected mosquitoes and mosquitoes are always a threat.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:33 AM

268 posts, read 1,430,621 times
I think given the relatively low cost involved in giving the heartworm medicine and no adverse affects from giving it early, I would give it a few months before moving too like the pp said.

Prior to giving heartworm medicine and then at regular intervals after that, the vet will test your dog's blood to make sure they don't have an active case.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:41 AM

8,363 posts, read 28,846,647 times
We put our dogs on them as puppies to around age 2, then gave it to them randomly to age 3, then pretty much forgot about it. Vaccinations went to age 3 as well. They are perfectly fine now at ages 6 and 9, and have been to ''outings'' many times. And we live close to the coast, where there are plenty of mosquitos.

The only time we started all of that up again was last year, only because we went on vacation and the kennels require it. I guess that's not a bad thing, but I think it's a money making game first and foremost. Take them to the vet for ''advice'', and they will go the whole 9 so you can pay them. At some point you have to put your foot down.

I personally think your money is better spent getting their teeth cleaned every 6-12 months after age 5 than getting vaccines. How often have you as a fully grown adult gotten a vaccine for something?

Old 02-29-2008, 07:13 AM

8,307 posts, read 36,948,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
We put our dogs on them as puppies to around age 2, then gave it to them randomly to age 3, then pretty much forgot about it. Vaccinations went to age 3 as well. They are perfectly fine now at ages 6 and 9, and have been to ''outings'' many times. And we live close to the coast, where there are plenty of mosquitos.

The only time we started all of that up again was last year, only because we went on vacation and the kennels require it. I guess that's not a bad thing, but I think it's a money making game first and foremost. Take them to the vet for ''advice'', and they will go the whole 9 so you can pay them. At some point you have to put your foot down.

I personally think your money is better spent getting their teeth cleaned every 6-12 months after age 5 than getting vaccines. How often have you as a fully grown adult gotten a vaccine for something?
I agree about the vaccines. Dogs need their puppy immunizations but I think beyond that is a scam. Vets are starting to charge similar prices to what you would see for human elective procedures. Ridiculous. Don't let anyone talk you into a total hip replacement for a cat. HOWEVER, my first dog developed heartworms and had to be put down. Heartworm medication is a worthwhile expenditure and is NOT that pricey.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:01 PM

3 posts, read 8,167 times
Regarding heartworm, we have our Golden Retrievers on Revolution -- a combination heartworm & flea control product. The treatment is easy -- squeeze a small tube of liquid on their skin between their shoulder blades once a month. This product has worked great for our 3 years in Atlanta and we will continue it once we settle in Houston.

Now that they are full-grown, our vet is moving them to a 3-year cycle on their vaccines with annual titer testing (I believe this is right) to confirm immunity to the various canine diseases. I am not sure how this treatment program will be accepted by the kennels, which is our biggest concern.

Dental cleanings are also a good suggestion, as a prior poster mentioned. Our older dog gets them every 6-9 months as needed. The younger one doesn't need them as frequently.

Old 03-11-2008, 02:04 PM

50 posts, read 192,982 times
My dogs have been on Revolution all their lives ... heartworms take 6 months to complete their life cycle so you need to start your dogs on heartworm meds at 6 months of age to be safe. You can find Revolution cheap and w/o a prescription on the internet. It also gets rid of the fleas and ear mites. I have applied it to 8 week old kittens. I swear by it! Dianne

Old 03-11-2008, 02:20 PM

684 posts, read 2,001,316 times
our pomeranian is 8 yrs old, our yorkie is almost 3 yrs old..I figured it would be a good idea to start them on heartworm meds soon, even though we are a couple of years out from our move...then they would be fully protected before they arrive to their new Houston "digs"

Old 03-15-2008, 07:20 AM

10 posts, read 61,283 times
Default Heartworm for your pets

Always have your pet on heartworm prevention once the vet recommends the start at the correct age, monthly regardless of where you live, regardless of the temperature. It is imperative to ensure the health of your dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: