Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 08:52 AM

165 posts, read 118,497 times

Advertisements

Hi, my husband and I are possibly going to be relocating to Houston.

We want to relocate within 30-40 minutes from IAH.

From my research, these are the areas that we want to check out:

Kingwood
Woodsland (Grogan's Mill area so that it is close to the I-45 - what other areas are close to I-45?)
Spring (I see conflicting reports about this area - what are the "better" parts of Spring?)
Cypress
Lake Houston (this is part of Atascocita, right?)
Fall Creek

We want to see both properties for sale and properties for rent to get a feel of what's out there. Budget is 330K for sale, $1600 for rent.

We care mostly about nicely manicured areas, low crime, quiet. We don't need a lot of nightlife and are willing to drive for that.

We'll be there for 4 days so we need to make the best use of the time. Is it unrealistic to think that we can do all those areas with one real estate person? When I look on har.com whatever properties I get are listed by different realtors so I'm unsure how I can approach this - I want to find someone we can work well with first and foremost.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2017, 08:57 AM

672 posts, read 846,715 times
Do you have any kids? Kingwood/Atascocita are great areas. Lots of traffic in both but you can still be at IAH within 25 minutes from either one, even with traffic.

Old 01-04-2017, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prey521 View Post
Do you have any kids? Kingwood/Atascocita are great areas. Lots of traffic in both but you can still be at IAH within 25 minutes from either one, even with traffic.
No kids, Prey.

25 minutes is definitely doable.

I want to see as much as we can while we're there, of course, since nothing beats seeing areas in person. But yes, Kingwood is high up on the list...and definitely want to see Atascocita.

Old 01-04-2017, 11:49 AM

403 posts, read 681,069 times
For a bit more depth, maybe post here as well: https://www.kingwood.com/message_board/ and https://www.atascocita.com/message_board/. There's plenty of daily traffic on these boards, so you should be able to get answers to specific questions. Technically, Kingwood is really city of Houston. That area was annexed some 20 years or so ago. I live in the Kings River area, across the West Lake Houston Parkway bridge from Kingwood but zoned to their schools. It really is more Atascocita though. Very quiet, as crime-free as neighborhoods will get in the area. Plenty of retail and from my house to IAH is easily within the window you desire. Good luck!

Old 01-04-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogkid84 View Post
For a bit more depth, maybe post here as well: https://www.kingwood.com/message_board/ and https://www.atascocita.com/message_board/. There's plenty of daily traffic on these boards, so you should be able to get answers to specific questions. Technically, Kingwood is really city of Houston. That area was annexed some 20 years or so ago. I live in the Kings River area, across the West Lake Houston Parkway bridge from Kingwood but zoned to their schools. It really is more Atascocita though. Very quiet, as crime-free as neighborhoods will get in the area. Plenty of retail and from my house to IAH is easily within the window you desire. Good luck!
Thank you SO much for those links, analogkid!

As I start looking at actual properties online I'm sure I'll have more questions I'm a little overwhelmed right now.

I did not have Kings River on my list - I'll add it! (although I did have Atascocita but it's kind of confusing because the areas seem so big :/ Would you mind giving me the zip code to Kings River, just to make sure I'm searching in the right area.

Thanks again.

Old 01-04-2017, 12:39 PM

403 posts, read 681,069 times
Kings River is in the 77346 zip. Here's a point of clarity though, Kingwood and parts of Atascocita are made up of what are called "villages". They are really just neighborhoods, but originally as master planned communities, each village has its own HOA, community center, and pool. It's all fairly seamless though, but certain villages have a particular style/size/price range of homes. You can find out a bit more here https://www.kingwood.com/community/villages.php and here Kingwood Service Association - Home Page. One of the nice things about the Kingwood area are the Greenbelt Trails, https://www.kingwood.com/community/greenbelt.php.

Old 01-04-2017, 12:51 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,285,669 times
One realtor should be able to show you properties in all these areas.

Old 01-04-2017, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogkid84 View Post
Kings River is in the 77346 zip. Here's a point of clarity though, Kingwood and parts of Atascocita are made up of what are called "villages". They are really just neighborhoods, but originally as master planned communities, each village has its own HOA, community center, and pool. It's all fairly seamless though, but certain villages have a particular style/size/price range of homes. You can find out a bit more here https://www.kingwood.com/community/villages.php and here Kingwood Service Association - Home Page. One of the nice things about the Kingwood area are the Greenbelt Trails, https://www.kingwood.com/community/greenbelt.php.
That is SO helpful, thank you.

Old 01-04-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westres1 View Post
One realtor should be able to show you properties in all these areas.
OK thanks westres.

So far I only heard back from one, and he said he *could* show me those areas in the time I'm there.

I'm thinking also I shouldn't stress too much about finding a great agent right off the bat - if they seem fairly helpful then that should be fine. And I'll see how much they know about the area / how we work with them once we're there.

Old 01-04-2017, 01:10 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,282,260 times
You can search HAR just by map, it's really good that way, with all your parameters. Size, garages, price, pool, etc. Helps separate the wheat from the chaff, so to speak.

I'd look, find a house you sort of like, or a realtor who's dominant in the area you're looking at, and reach out to them. There's no shortage of choices for realtors. If someone isn't eager, move on. They should be, if you're potentially looking at one of their homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston