Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 11:30 AM

7 posts, read 25,869 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know anything about a new community called The Groves in Humble? It is zoned to Eagle Springs Elementary, Timberwood Middle School and Atasocita High School.

We currently live in Cinco Ranch, but my husband recently got a job east of downtown. I grew up in Katy, so I really don't know much about other parts of Houston.

We will have two kids in elementary school next year. Is this a good area? Is there much shopping/entertainment? I've also looked at Kingwood, but it looks like those houses are mostly older and we would prefer to build new.

Any thoughts? Advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2017, 01:55 PM

672 posts, read 846,838 times
It's a beautiful community. Lived in Atascocita for a few years and when we decided to build, The Groves was on our list. Ultimately, we decided against because the traffic on that side of town is an absolute nightmare and will only get worse as more and more people move into the area. Atascocita has great schools and there is a lot of shopping in the area, but not much entertainment when compared to Katy or The Woodlands.

Kingwood is great too, with amazing schools, but also suffers from the horrible traffic, probably moreso than Atascocita, because there are only 2 arteries, very narrow arteries, that feed in/out from 59.

Both Kingwood and Atascocita, specifically Eagle Springs, have great schools and geared towards families. The Amenities at Eagle Springs are top notch too. If you can deal with the traffic, then you'd love The Groves.

Old 01-05-2017, 02:00 PM

156 posts, read 283,854 times
We looked in that neighborhood about 9 months ago. The home builders were of the higher quality inventory builders. The neighborhood has a very sweet park and play area in the middle of it and is overall designed in the popular rustic modern look. The neighborhood is very kid-centric, the schools are considered very good and Atasocita High is the preferred high school.

Overall I would consider it a nice neighborhood, though it was a little hard to tell as when we saw it there were only a few homes build by then. Our biggest concerns was that it is right off of W Lake Houston Pwky which is basically the only N-S road in that area, along with being the road that you take to all the retail (north) or to the Beltway (south). With Houston we could just imagine the traffic getting worse as the area kept building out. There might be some additional road construction in the works to help but I'm not sure.

Also that whole area is in the flight path for IAH, when we visited we timed the planes landing and they were 5 mins apart, exactly. You definitely could hear them. I do know that there has been some change in how the planes are now approaching the airport in that it is suppose to help reduce the noise level, I'm not sure if that has helped or not. Lots of people say they stop hearing them after awhile, not sure if that would have been true for us.

We ended up in West Houston as I was wanting a shorter commute to downtown so I can't speak much of the Atasocita area outside of the day we spent driving through it. There are definitely lots of neighborhoods to chose from, though wanting a new house will limit you a bit.

Old 01-05-2017, 02:48 PM

160 posts, read 399,425 times
Timber forest is moving forward to have another north south major thoroughfare that will connect the groves to FM1960

Old 01-06-2017, 12:08 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,136,687 times
Gorgeous community, and they are about to build the new elementary in the groves, so kids from there won't be going to ESE very long. Re zoning for that area just happened.

Old 01-09-2017, 12:50 PM

I didn't even think about the airport being so close. We are out in Katy now, and traffic to the East side of downtown takes my husband an hour and a half (leaving extremely early in the morning). My hope is that being closer to that side would take less time even if there is more traffic. Mapquest keeps quoting me 35 minutes from downtown to the Groves in rush hour. Does that sound right or is that way off?

Old 01-09-2017, 02:14 PM

What is this area like in terms of shopping and restaurants? Also, is there a lot of crime?

Old 01-09-2017, 04:23 PM

156 posts, read 283,854 times
The area is very safe, shopping appeared to be clustered to the north with a little along the Beltway. It appeared to us that you go into Kingwood for most shopping, not sure where the mall is or if there is any upper-end retail in that area. It is my understanding that with 99 now open from 59 The Woodlands is a 15-20 mins drive on the highway from Kingwood so you might could head there for more options?

Could a local chime in? I can't image it's much more different than Kathy minus the trees and the age of the developments.

I want to say that HAR quotes me a 50 min drive at peak rush hour to my office downtown hence why we looked otherwise. Your husband will have a much shorter commute without a doubt, going through DT on 10 either way is rough and I would think he could take the Beltway to the east now?

Old 01-09-2017, 05:06 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,601,431 times
A bunch of new roads are going in that will help with the traffic. Will it be enough? Only time will tell.

As far as noise goes, I'd be more concerned about the trains.

My mom is in Walden and neither the trains or planes bother her.

I'm across the lake in the Crosby/Huffman area.

I have a brother in Kingwood and one in Fall Creek.

Old 01-10-2017, 07:06 AM

672 posts, read 846,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTWRunner View Post
The area is very safe, shopping appeared to be clustered to the north with a little along the Beltway. It appeared to us that you go into Kingwood for most shopping, not sure where the mall is or if there is any upper-end retail in that area. It is my understanding that with 99 now open from 59 The Woodlands is a 15-20 mins drive on the highway from Kingwood so you might could head there for more options?

Could a local chime in? I can't image it's much more different than Kathy minus the trees and the age of the developments.

I want to say that HAR quotes me a 50 min drive at peak rush hour to my office downtown hence why we looked otherwise. Your husband will have a much shorter commute without a doubt, going through DT on 10 either way is rough and I would think he could take the Beltway to the east now?
People in the area either go to Atascocita or Humble for shopping. There isn't much of anything in Kingwood as far at that goes, but there are some good restaurants. Also, the Woodlands is closer to 35-45 minutes away from Kingwood, even with the Grand Parkway now open. If you live on the good side of Kingwood, on the East side, it's about a 20 minute drive just to get to the Grand Parkway, then just add another 15-20 minutes from there, depending on traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston