Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2017, 01:07 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,070,126 times

Advertisements

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/n...ajor-site.html

So as we know Chevron's vacating its Bellaire campus, which was its research lab. A few possibilities:

* 1. New offices/businesses: Bellaire city officials may prefer this as they want the taxes. Could be new corporate offices, a mini-mall, etc?
* 2. New houses: Like Southside Place did with the old Shell building they could replace 'em with townhouses - could help recoup some tax money
* 3. New schools: HISD may be chomping at the bit to rebuild Bellaire High. All this land is now available. Hmmm.... HISD is thinking about it, but it would make the budget for rebuilding Bellaire higher: http://www.houstonchronicle.com/loca...gh-9645287.php

Since I'm not in the Houston area at the moment I don't know what the officials are thinking...

P.S. HISD may be concerned about the high sticker price of the Chevron campus. While I believe they should NOT sell the former Gordon campus, as they should reopen that for West U Elementary relief, they should, if committed to the Chevron site, sell the former BHS campus... AND the old Dodson Elementary. HISD is smart in locating magnet schools in central Houston but I think they could make a killing selling the EaDo campus. That could help fund a new Bellaire High. Mike Lunceford said in October that he would no longer support that idea. The comments section of the article stated that he had stepped down from the HISD board http://swamplot.com/hitting-the-brak...lk/2016-10-13/ but I still see him listed here: http://www.houstonisd.org/Domain/10794

Last edited by Vicman; 01-12-2017 at 01:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2017, 03:09 PM

6,291 posts, read 7,497,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/n...ajor-site.html

So as we know Chevron's vacating its Bellaire campus, which was its research lab. A few possibilities:

* 1. New offices/businesses: Bellaire city officials may prefer this as they want the taxes. Could be new corporate offices, a mini-mall, etc?
* 2. New houses: Like Southside Place did with the old Shell building they could replace 'em with townhouses - could help recoup some tax money
* 3. New schools: HISD may be chomping at the bit to rebuild Bellaire High. All this land is now available. Hmmm.... HISD is thinking about it, but it would make the budget for rebuilding Bellaire higher: HISD eyeing Chevron site for new Bellaire High School - Houston Chronicle

Since I'm not in the Houston area at the moment I don't know what the officials are thinking...

P.S. HISD may be concerned about the high sticker price of the Chevron campus. While I believe they should NOT sell the former Gordon campus, as they should reopen that for West U Elementary relief, they should, if committed to the Chevron site, sell the former BHS campus... AND the old Dodson Elementary. HISD is smart in locating magnet schools in central Houston but I think they could make a killing selling the EaDo campus. That could help fund a new Bellaire High. Mike Lunceford said in October that he would no longer support that idea. The comments section of the article stated that he had stepped down from the HISD board Hitting the Brakes on the Bellaire High School Chevron Campus Swap Talk | Swamplot but I still see him listed here: Michael L. Lunceford / Meet Michael L. Lunceford

I guess it depends on who the new owner is, but I doubt they will tear down a 10 story building though..

Old 01-12-2017, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
but I doubt they will tear down a 10 story building though..
The current North Atlanta High School is located in a former IBM office building (and the school is 10 stories tall): New North Atlanta High transformed from office building to school - The same could be done with the Chevron facility

More info http://www.atlanta.k12.ga.us/cms/lib...l%20Record.pdf

Old 01-12-2017, 07:25 PM

958 posts, read 2,573,626 times
Hisd already decided they will not build the new Bellaire HS there. The additional cost would be significant.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorprey View Post
Hisd already decided they will not build the new Bellaire HS there. The additional cost would be significant.
If the Bellaire area wasn't landlocked/didn't involve crazy zoning I could understand... but they don't have a lot of options around there. Atlanta schools paid a lot of money for that corporate building ($147 million in total costs) but the NYT thinks it was money well spent. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/07/ed...c-schools.html - This isn't a wealthy suburban Long Island school district... it's Atlanta public schools.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:54 PM

958 posts, read 2,573,626 times
I don't think Bellaire city wants to turn the taxable entity to a non taxable school.

Old 01-12-2017, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorprey View Post
I don't think Bellaire city wants to turn the taxable entity to a non taxable school.
Yep, that's the big stumbling block. There was hubbub when Episcopal was built for that reason. It also blocked the new Rice School campus from coming in Bellaire (especially because Bellaire kids were not automatically zoned to that campus)

I notice NAHS got its corporate campus during a recession.

Old 01-13-2017, 09:27 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,807,332 times
Convert to multi-function CVS/Mattress/Starbucks fusion.

Old 01-13-2017, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
Convert to multi-function CVS/Mattress/Starbucks fusion.
Apparently the Bellaire city government wants to cut the property into pieces, with one commercial and the other full of townhomes. Video Outline - Bellaire City, Texas

I don't know if the previous Lunceford proposal was trying to grab the whole property and just demo and build everything new. If HISD only gets half of the site and renovates the tall 10 story building (there is a precedent for this in Atlanta) and leaves the rest of the cite to CVS/Mattress/Starbucks maybe the city government would be happier (then townhomes would go in the old BHS property).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston