Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 08:42 AM

30 posts, read 27,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTownNearNative View Post
Houston is not a city for petite women to simply walk around at night. Other than Park and Ride riders going to downtown Mon-Friday work hours, you see questionable characters on public transport at other times, especially at night. You need a car in Houston. London on a modest lifestyle (if that is your situation), is a better fit for you.
What time does it usually turn dark in Houston? 19:00 or 22:00?

Alright. I think the car issue could be resolve by getting a second-hand?

Last edited by pretzel09; 01-25-2017 at 08:45 AM.. Reason: Adding more questions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2017, 10:00 AM

308 posts, read 499,124 times
Where do you live now? And do you like where you live now or the lifestyle? Do you want to live somewhere similar to it? Or somewhere different? Maybe that will help make a decision.

Old 01-25-2017, 10:31 AM

15,432 posts, read 7,487,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretzel09 View Post
What time does it usually turn dark in Houston? 19:00 or 22:00?

Alright. I think the car issue could be resolve by getting a second-hand?
Depends on the time of year. Somewhere between 8 and 9 in the Summer, around 5 in the Winter.

Lots of places to buy reliable used cars in Houston.

Old 01-25-2017, 12:37 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,514,057 times
They're almost polar opposites in terms of lifestyle. As a young single person, I would (and did) pick London. Houston is a great place to raise a family, in terms of affordability and quality of life, no doubt about it, and it's leagues above London for that. But I would say it's better to get some international experience and connections behind you now, and have some really great adventures while you can!

Old 01-25-2017, 05:01 PM

30 posts, read 27,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbjen View Post
They're almost polar opposites in terms of lifestyle. As a young single person, I would (and did) pick London. Houston is a great place to raise a family, in terms of affordability and quality of life, no doubt about it, and it's leagues above London for that.
How about in Midtown or East Downtown area? Are there really no single people, aged between 20-39, living in Houston?

Old 01-25-2017, 06:32 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,442,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbjen View Post
They're almost polar opposites in terms of lifestyle. As a young single person, I would (and did) pick London. Houston is a great place to raise a family, in terms of affordability and quality of life, no doubt about it, and it's leagues above London for that. But I would say it's better to get some international experience and connections behind you now, and have some really great adventures while you can!
No kiddIng. If you are young and single it's no contest at all. London by a country mile. Europe is at your doorstep even for weekend trips.

Old 01-25-2017, 06:40 PM

61,706 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Quote:
I have a simple question that begs for a deep, well thought-out answer.

Consider if you're in the O&G field and were offered to work in Houston or London, would you go for lively London with friendly commute or Houston with lower taxes?

In terms of security, I can't really point to which city is better. I am a petite Asian girl and my skills with automobile is more than disparaging. On the fact that I would need to rent an auto car to navigate in Houston would mean additional cost? In the work front, I suppose both London and Houston are equally challenging and demand me to keep up to speed. Do you think surviving in Houston would ink a better watermark on my resume for my future ventures?
Go to London for quality of life...

Old 01-25-2017, 08:42 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,514,057 times
Quote:
How about in Midtown or East Downtown area? Are there really no single people, aged between 20-39, living in Houston?
Of course there are, but the life experiences are just worlds apart. If career is your only focus, then pick Houston. Living and working in London is an experience that just can't be equaled, but if it's not something that appeals to you then it's wasted.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:53 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
For career: Houston
For lifestyle: London

Old 01-25-2017, 10:56 PM

569 posts, read 1,078,719 times
Quote:
I have a simple question that begs for a deep, well thought-out answer.

Consider if you're in the O&G field and were offered to work in Houston or London, would you go for lively London with friendly commute or Houston with lower taxes?

In terms of security, I can't really point to which city is better. I am a petite Asian girl and my skills with automobile is more than disparaging. On the fact that I would need to rent an auto car to navigate in Houston would mean additional cost? In the work front, I suppose both London and Houston are equally challenging and demand me to keep up to speed. Do you think surviving in Houston would ink a better watermark on my resume for my future ventures?
"Do you think surviving in Houston would ink a better watermark on my resume for my future ventures?"
Not at all. "Surviving" in Houston would be a lower quality of life for you. London will look much more prestigious on your resume.

One more note: Houston driving is stressful. If your driving skills are disparaging, you are going to pay a lot of money on car insurance and depending on where you can live (Houston rents are more expensive than out-of-towners think they are) it will add more stress to your life to drive long distances to go anywhere.

Take the London job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston