Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 11:59 AM

126 posts, read 233,172 times

Advertisements

I am turning my rental property for the first time. I have one months deposit in my hands as well as a refundable pet deposit. I found the following issues:

Holes from door knobs in 4 walls
Two broken blinds
Two broken interior doors (kicked)
Burn on kitchen countertop
Several broken fence pickets in the backyard
Broken towel rack in bathroom
Peeling paint from water damage (from hand-held shower sprayer)
One broken tile in the kitchen
Dent in the garage door
And "excess wear and tear" on walls that were freshly painted when he moved in.

Do I need to itemize each of these and add a cost to it? I've read some people just withhold the deposit all together for stuff like this. The paint in the house needs a complete refresh but I would have done that either way. With that said, the rooms that were freshly painted but are now messed up with pen and crayon marks (and food splatter) will be dinged as excessive.

How would you approach this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2017, 01:30 PM

15,433 posts, read 7,491,963 times
The Texas Property Code is your friend PROPERTY CODE CHAPTER 92. RESIDENTIAL TENANCIES Subchapter C. There's also the lease, which may have additional provisions.

Having said that, I would get an estimate for the repairs, and then send the tenant the accounting for any amounts you withhold from the deposit as required by the statute.

For the door knob holes, get something similar to this https://www.amazon.com/WHITE-Door-Pr.../dp/B002O75DDQ for the repair, as this is a common occurrence, especially on rentals. Heck, I did htat accidentally on my own house one time, which is why I know about the item.

Old 01-25-2017, 08:18 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,199,048 times
Take pictures and keep in the file - online and hard copy.

Like WRM20 states above, you need to have an itemized cost list - you can't just keep the deposits without itemizing. In the event that the damage exceeds the deposit, send them a bill for it.

Don't forget to include (and do this) the cost of having the house treated for fleas, due to the pet.

Old 01-26-2017, 09:07 AM

Thanks for the feedback. Most of the broken stuff (doors, blinds, etc) seems very cut and dry to me. The "excess wear and tear" seems more subjective but I'll work through it. For example, they put a burn mark on one section of my kitchen countertop. I need to figure out how to allocate a cost for just that piece even though i'm replacing all counters in the kitchen. I'm replacing them because it is time (going from laminate to granite) but with that said the laminate was still in good shape. Just outdated. Thoughts?

Old 01-26-2017, 09:18 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,808,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seadoons View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Most of the broken stuff (doors, blinds, etc) seems very cut and dry to me. The "excess wear and tear" seems more subjective but I'll work through it. For example, they put a burn mark on one section of my kitchen countertop. I need to figure out how to allocate a cost for just that piece even though i'm replacing all counters in the kitchen. I'm replacing them because it is time (going from laminate to granite) but with that said the laminate was still in good shape. Just outdated. Thoughts?
It seems unfair to charge for the burn when you are replacing the counters anyway.

Old 01-26-2017, 09:21 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,429,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
It seems unfair to charge for the burn when you are replacing the counters anyway.
The counter wouldn't need replacing if somebody had not burned it, so it seems fair to me.

Old 01-26-2017, 09:54 AM

1,514 posts, read 1,793,278 times
We had a similar issue, where tenants burned a small section of a countertop that was outdated, but previously in good shape. After some haggling, we assigned a "depreciated value" to the countertop and charged them that value. In total, their damages to the unit exceeded the deposit value, so they ended up giving up their whole deposit anyways.

Old 01-26-2017, 10:03 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,808,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unihills View Post
The counter wouldn't need replacing if somebody had not burned it, so it seems fair to me.
That's not what he said.

"I'm replacing them because it is time (going from laminate to granite) but with that said the laminate was still in good shape. Just outdated."

Old 01-26-2017, 10:40 AM

60 posts, read 56,198 times
You have to give them a breakdown and it has to be within 30 days. Take photos or video. I used to do this when tenant moved in and out to have a record of the condition. Anything other than normal wear and tear could be deducted. Regardless of the reason(meaning if you were planning to upgrade). The damage was done to the countertop, however you should only deduct the amount it will cost to replace that area with the same material. You may have to provide receipts if they decide to take you to court. So keep any receipts or keep teh receipts of the upgrade and just deduct a small portion for that item.

Regarding Paint I would not deduct if is normal wear an tear, however due to crayon and pen marks I will but only those specific walls not the whole house. Refreshing is part of your make ready and a landlord expense.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-26-2017, 01:37 PM

All good info. Yes, the countertop issue was a gray area. With that said, they damaged the countertop. Doesn't matter what my plans are for afterwards. I'm only assessing a fee for re-laminating that section and the labor involved. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: