Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2017, 06:02 PM

19 posts, read 24,228 times

Advertisements

Anyone out there know a great breeder or a rescue? Would love to hear if you all had a good experience with them. I am a first time dog owner and would like to start with a puppy. We already have a cat and a toddler at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2017, 09:38 PM

2,756 posts, read 3,806,523 times
Stay away from breeders. There's thousands of unwanted dogs in shelters and rescues. Check out BARC, Friends for Life, K-9 Angels, Westbury CARE.

Go to PetHarbor.com: Animal Shelter adopt a pet; dogs, cats, puppies, kittens! Humane Society, SPCA. Lost & Found. and there you can search all the shelters and rescues.

Old 02-05-2017, 12:00 AM

1,632 posts, read 3,325,941 times
This will be an unpopular opinion, but don't let anyone pressure you into taking a rescue dog if you can't find the exact dog you want there. Getting a dog is a HUGE financial and emotional commitment, and you have every right to get the exact dog you feel is best for you and your family regardless of where it comes from, since you'll be the one taking care of and living with it for the next 10 to 20 years.

You have absolutely no obligation to save any dog that's in a shelter -- don't let anyone tell you or make you think otherwise.

Old 02-05-2017, 12:14 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,422,547 times
There are several rescues that specialize in Labrador Retrievers. You can do a google search for "labrador retriever rescue houston tx" to find them. One that looks good is apparently based in the Woodlands:

http://lsawl.org/labs-for-adoption

I worked for a different-breed rescue group for many years and have adopted only older dogs for the past 20+ years. That said, I agree with Texascrude somewhat in that you should find the dog who fits into your family the best. I also bought quite a few dogs from breeders before I started getting rescue dogs and I agree with txdemo too -- rescue organizations are a great resource and are more honest about their dogs than are breeders.

There's a reason that there are so many Labs in rescue -- people buy a cute little puppy and arent prepared for how destructive a Lab can be from the ages of six months to 3-4 years. I used to tell them that old age cures almost all problems.

Adopting an older dog can be so rewarding. There are so many older dogs who will never get out of rescue simply because people are always looking for younger dogs. The dogs I adopt are around 8-9 years of age. Yes, they arent with me as long as if I'd gotten a puppy but they dont have all the puppy problems (housebreaking, chewing, etc) either. And they seem to be so appreciative of having a loving home.

Be aware that any good rescue group will make you jump through a lot of hoops before letting you adopt one of their dogs. You may have to submit to a home inspection (to make sure that you have a fenced yard or a safe place for the dog to exercise) and answer a lot of questions. They dont want the dog to be re-homed and then have to be upset by being returned. The best rescue groups always have the best interests of the dog at heart, unlike many breeders who simply want your money.

Last edited by TFW46; 02-05-2017 at 12:25 PM..

Old 02-05-2017, 01:54 PM

154 posts, read 149,071 times
Another good way to search for a dog is Petfinder.com. We have found several of our dogs that way.

https://www.petfinder.com/pet-search...ng&distance=25

Old 02-08-2017, 01:04 PM

12 posts, read 27,024 times
We have had several labradors in our family. We had an excellent experience with Kenswood Kennel - Home Ken is the owners name. Now these dogs are not cheap. They are great family dogs, but they have excellent hunting pedigrees. The color on the fox red is so beautiful!

We also have heard great things about Texas Duck Dog in Magnolia. We are contemplating using him for training as well due to his reputation.
Good luck!

Both of these breeders are more expensive than just a family dog due to the hunting pedigree, but they might have options for a reputable breeder somewhere else!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston