Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2017, 08:27 AM

153 posts, read 211,593 times

Advertisements

Not sure this is the right place to be asking this question, we are custom home builders from NM
looking to find a spot in Galveston to finally retire. We are looking for a piece of land near the water
to build in a community that allows for a modern beach house. Somewhere without CC&R's don't need
a lot of land, just good location near nice grocery stores and hopefully some modern ammenities.
Also, if anyone can answer the question as to what they are doing for flood insurance, I know you can't mention companies on this thread, so.... I've checked on wind and it's no longer covered in TX..??We would obviously follow codes for hurricane/but it seems insurance will only cover contents which is silly for what they (one major insurance company, U*A*) is charging. Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 08:44 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,997,888 times
Evia is beautiful.

Old 02-13-2017, 10:44 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,185,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyrye View Post
Also, if anyone can answer the question as to what they are doing for flood insurance, I know you can't mention companies on this thread, so.... I've checked on wind and it's no longer covered in TX..??We would obviously follow codes for hurricane/but it seems insurance will only cover contents which is silly for what they (one major insurance company, U*A*) is charging. Thanks for your help.
I live in Galveston County and had to change insurers when we moved here because the company I had at the time (State Farm) was not writing for this area of Texas. From talking to my agent, however, it appears this may have changed, so don't just discount the big insurers entirely. I have also used USAA in the past as well. I don't think they have the greatest rates in Texas, but I always retain some business with them so I can keep my foot in the door.

Right now, we are using 2 different companies for each housing coverage need- one for regular HOI plus the additional flood coverage we opted for and TWIA (the public entity) for Wind and Hail. I do have an offer on the table from a private company to assume the Wind and Hail from TWIA, but I am not sure I want to move on that and have a couple more months to decide. Small company that's been around only 5 years and I have concerns about whether or not they have adequate capital to pay claims if needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: