Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 03:38 PM

6,378 posts, read 5,002,937 times

Advertisements

My two friends and I will be doing a road trip this spring from Ohio to New Mexico, and Houston will be one of the major cities we see along the way. I know the Space Center is there as well as other astronomical sites, and the Washburn Tunnel looks interesting. What else is in or around Houston that's (1) free or at least inexpensive, and (2) pretty accessible? We'd be looking for maybe a day's worth of stuff to do.

We're all college students and pretty knowledgeable about history, so unique tours or historical sites would work (like the San Jacinto Battleground), and one of us is fluent in Spanish, if that helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 03:43 PM

455 posts, read 525,365 times
I haven't visited the Buffalo Bayou Park cistern yet, but it's supposed to be interesting: LINK

Also:

The Battleship Texas is really cool, although i am spoiled after having had a behind the scenes tour.

The Menil (which happens to be free)

Old 02-22-2017, 05:30 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
I was more impressed by the MFAH. Menil is still cool.

Old 02-22-2017, 07:28 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
The Cistern looks really cool!

Old 02-22-2017, 08:44 PM

9,891 posts, read 6,595,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic0boom View Post
I haven't visited the Buffalo Bayou Park cistern yet, but it's supposed to be interesting: LINK

Also:

The Battleship Texas is really cool, although i am spoiled after having had a behind the scenes tour.

The Menil (which happens to be free)
I have got to agree about the Menil. The Menil is also located in the Lower Westheimer area so a great place to stop by at.

Old 02-23-2017, 12:59 AM

403 posts, read 462,494 times
Houston is not a city with a lot to do but here are some of my recommendations. Do you like museums? We have a museum district with about a dozen museums in walking distance to another. Do you like architecture? There are a lot of beautiful post modern buildings downtown like pennzoil place or the Bank of America center. We have a historic district with nice architecture like the Gulf Building, Neil's Esperson building and Cotton Exchange building. The Astrodome was the worlds first domed stadium and is a civil engineering breakthrough. Do you want to shop? The Galleria is one of the best malls in the world. Space Center is a good bet, it is our number one tourist attraction. We also have a neighborhood called Montrose that is very hip and quirky. If you go to Galveston you've got the beach and pleasure pier. Those are my suggestions based on what I read. Tell me if any of that interests you and tell me what else you are looking for.

Old 02-23-2017, 05:28 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,663,212 times
It isn't free or inexpensive, unless you get cheap seats, but if they are in town when you are here, I would go see an Astros game.

Old 02-23-2017, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I was more impressed by the MFAH. Menil is still cool.
Or do both I think Thursdays are free at the MFAH. But even regular admission is reasonable.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swopoe View Post
It isn't free or inexpensive, unless you get cheap seats, but if they are in town when you are here, I would go see an Astros game.
OP, if you are interested in an Astros game, you can always check on Groupon. It's been a number of years, but at one point i was able to get tickets for about $25 and that was pretty close to the field at third base.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:34 AM

2,858 posts, read 2,172,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
My two friends and I will be doing a road trip this spring from Ohio to New Mexico, and Houston will be one of the major cities we see along the way. I know the Space Center is there as well as other astronomical sites, and the Washburn Tunnel looks interesting. What else is in or around Houston that's (1) free or at least inexpensive, and (2) pretty accessible? We'd be looking for maybe a day's worth of stuff to do.

We're all college students and pretty knowledgeable about history, so unique tours or historical sites would work (like the San Jacinto Battleground), and one of us is fluent in Spanish, if that helps.
I'm not sure how accessible it is to you guys but the Museum of Funeral History is pretty unique. The cistern tour isn't bad but tours need to be booked in advance.

The boat tour down the ship channel is free and interesting if you guys are engineering geek types. You also need to book ahead for this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston