Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 05:45 PM

5 posts, read 6,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. medicine View Post
When I say Houston I mean the general area, not Houston proper. I have a few job offers to work at some of the hospitals in the area and trying to learn more about the areas for the stereotypes that live in the parts of the city. I would live in the general area where I work. We should be able to afford anywhere. I can find answers to Real estate and school questions online. I am just trying to get a sense of the type of people/culture of the different areas. It seems Sugar Land and The Woodlands would be nice places to live and raise a sanity based on some articles I have read. The Woodlands is obviously a higher income area, but is it welcoming and does it have friendly people or is it a lot of pretentious people? Is there plenty to do in one area or do you have to travel to another area?
The Sugarlands and The Woodlands are some of the nicest areas of Houston, obviously. I know people who live in both, and they love them. Although you said you can work anywhere, but if you do have to commute into Downtown Houston, you may want to look elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2017, 05:50 PM

694 posts, read 835,366 times
Houston is so large that you can't commute from a given place to live, to any area where you might work. Just about everybody who lives here starts with where they will work, and then figures out where they can live.

The Woodlands to the Med Center area would be a commute nobody would take on lightly. Sugar Land is substantially closer.

Old 02-27-2017, 07:00 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,734,008 times
If you work in the Med Center and make baller money then you would want to be in West U with the other high end medical folks. If you make mid level money and have kids then Pearland is the closest suburb. Next out is Sugar Land which is the most popular suburb with Asian families. You would only live in any of the other suburbs if you worked in them since they are so far of a drive. As for which suburb is "best" personally I find them all extremely boring and cookie cutter so take a visit and see if any catch your interest.

Old 02-27-2017, 07:50 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,182,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
If you work in the Med Center and make baller money then you would want to be in West U with the other high end medical folks. If you make mid level money and have kids then Pearland is the closest suburb. Next out is Sugar Land which is the most popular suburb with Asian families. You would only live in any of the other suburbs if you worked in them since they are so far of a drive. As for which suburb is "best" personally I find them all extremely boring and cookie cutter so take a visit and see if any catch your interest.
I could be wrong, but it's entirely possible that OP is considering offers from institutions in suburban locations, in which case (s)he might have little, if any reason, to be anywhere near the Med Center, except for the occasional meeting and/or training if working for one of the big systems. Sometimes, practitioners will see patients in various sites of service and have credentials at multiple hospitals, but they are usually clustered in the same general area of town.

I think a lot of it all depends on what OP's specialty is and how much, if any, time is spent in a hospital versus just seeing patients in clinic. We have several friends and colleagues who live in the West U and Bellaire area that have to schlep out to the suburbs multiple times whenever they are on call or have to round, and it's a PITA for them (though they all enjoy where they live).

Old 02-27-2017, 01:50 PM

986 posts, read 1,272,160 times
Why are you so hung up on finding out the stereotypes? Here: we all wear boots and cowboy hats and ride our horses to work each day. We all voted for Trump. We all say "y'all" and love HEB (well that one's actually true).

There. Now you have enough stereotypes. Why don't you focus from here on out on reality? Probably because you're not real, but whatevs, I had some spare time to throw a comment in here.

Old 02-28-2017, 06:19 AM

97 posts, read 154,659 times
Pearland has a growing medical center and if you will be going to the medical center in Houston, Pearland puts you a short drive away. As others have said, there many variables. Do you have kids? Do schools matter? Will you be wanting to enjoy the nightlife of Houston?

Old 02-28-2017, 08:53 AM

1,179 posts, read 1,914,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLadyK View Post
There. Now you have enough stereotypes. Why don't you focus from here on out on reality? Probably because you're not real, but whatevs, I had some spare time to throw a comment in here.
See, I am highly suspect of most first time posters and occasionally decline to comment on topics I am knowledgeable on because I suspect they are a.) trolls or b.) bots. When I point this out to other posters they get defensive.

Glad I'm not the only one who sees a lot of threads for what they are - fishing expeditions.

Old 02-28-2017, 09:08 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,297,229 times
I would like to know on the minimum side how much one has to make per month to reach baller status in Houston and surrounding areas

Old 03-01-2017, 07:23 AM

1,658 posts, read 1,241,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTony View Post
I would like to know on the minimum side how much one has to make per month to reach baller status in Houston and surrounding areas
I made $177,000 last year and definitely do not consider myself a baller. However I am 39 with a wife and two young kids. If somehow I was able to make that kind of money when I was 29, and if I were single I may consider myself to be on the low side of baller status.

Old 03-01-2017, 08:24 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,734,008 times
Well mortgage and taxes on one of those houses would run you maybe $6,000 a month so if you should only pay max 1/3rd take home towards your monthly payment then you need to make $18,000 a month after taxes to achieve baller status which is probably around $280,000 per year. Certainly in the range of many medical specialties assuming they are out of debt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston