Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2017, 09:31 PM

26 posts, read 34,474 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have been looking for a home for 2 years. We were initially focused on Bellaire and St. George Place but haven't had much luck. We were even under contract for a home in Bellaire recently but had to terminate because of structural issues that came up during inspection.

Anyway, we've decided to shift our focus to spring branch/spring valley because we think it will be a better location for us long term because we anticipate having to eventually commute to the suburbs. Any thoughts on this area. We like the area west of Wirt and South of Westview, but it is pretty pricey. The areas east of there are more affordable (at I-10 and 610), new construction but are still very transitional. There are million dollar homes with mini marts/hair salons around the corner with bars on the windows. How soon do you think it would gentrify/turn around? Any thoughts on safety in this area or should we stay west of Wirt? Looking to spend $800 k or less for a 4 bedroom home and newer (no older than 1980). We don't have kids but plan to soon, so we want a family friendly place.

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2017, 03:38 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,032,982 times
Have you looked at Wilchester ? Family friendly, excellent schools and safe. No shops or businesses around the homes . Its west of Sam Houston and doesnt have the forest feel as the rest of Memorial but still. Prices from 700 to 1.5 mn..

There are even few new buildings coming up.

Old 03-04-2017, 08:54 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,690,565 times
I was wondering about the Spring Branch area, too. When driving around there it's very crowded. Some of the homes are built in the 1960's but big yards and looks like adequate drainage ditches. Many of those older homes are refurbished and quite nice. Unfortunately on that drive we saw many homes with bars over the windows and gates around the front doors. That doesn't leave a good impression.

Getting back on I-10 there's a huge shopping center right there. . . . So many cars in that parking lot, it looked like Christmas shopping all over again which was another detraction.

The realtor told us that Spring Branch is the new downtown Houston. Not sure if that's true. I'd love some thoughts on this, too.

Old 03-05-2017, 12:01 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,067,064 times
Memorial City (south of Spring Branch) is something of a business district, but the Energy Corridor (to the west of BW8) has exploded in size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollaces View Post
I was wondering about the Spring Branch area, too. When driving around there it's very crowded. Some of the homes are built in the 1960's but big yards and looks like adequate drainage ditches. Many of those older homes are refurbished and quite nice. Unfortunately on that drive we saw many homes with bars over the windows and gates around the front doors. That doesn't leave a good impression.

Getting back on I-10 there's a huge shopping center right there. . . . So many cars in that parking lot, it looked like Christmas shopping all over again which was another detraction.

The realtor told us that Spring Branch is the new downtown Houston. Not sure if that's true. I'd love some thoughts on this, too.

Old 03-05-2017, 01:32 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,724,671 times
There are some areas of Spring Branch that are unsafe, but a lot of it is very safe. Almost all of Spring Branch between Gessner and the beltway is safe and fairly nice. A great majority of the area in Spring Branch south of Long Point is safe and fairly nice. But this is leaving out a lot of other great areas, too. I know there are some run-down looking areas on Long Point and Gessner, but it's a pretty vibrant, happening area. I tell my wife we need to write an article for the Houston Press titled, "Is Spring Branch the New Hipster Haven?" as a joke--it's not quite there yet, but there is a lot going on here and I think it will get more gentrified before it starts to even out. I really like the area, as far as areas in Houston go.

Now, for that little patch of stuff just north of Walmart (I think that's what you're talking about). I can see where some of it may still be just a bit sketchy, but it's generally pretty nice and is gentrifying faster than just about any other area in Spring Branch--and to a greater or lesser degree it's all gentrifying. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't walk along Long Point at 3am, but I think the area you're talking about is basically a pretty decent area to live in.

You are right about the shopping--I can walk to the HEB on Bunker Hill from my house, and sometimes that's easiest since the parking gets so crazy. A buddy of mine told me that HEB does more business than any other store in Texas. But having all that stuff nearby can be very convenient, in the end. I like being able to go get my fake (soy) ice cream at 11:30 at night and only take about 10 minutes round trip to do so. As someone who grew up in a farm town with nothing more than a couple of gas stations, I appreciate the convenience.

Old 03-06-2017, 07:37 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,789,810 times
The east side of Spring Branch is pretty dodgy/inconsistent visually, but it's definitely trending in the right direction. If you're buying for the long term, you'll likely benefit from increased gentrification and new construction over the next decade. If kids are in your future, make sure you find a place zoned to Valley Oaks or Hunters Creek Elementary and Memorial High School. I'm frankly amazed that numerous $800k+ homes are being built in parts of Spring Branch zoned to the poorly-rated schools. I guess builders are targeting empty nesters, childless couples or those who plan to go private.

My friends who live in the Spring Branch area (mostly in the neighborhoods just outside of Spring Valley, but still zoned to MHS) love their neighborhoods and consider them to be safe. And Spring Valley Village itself is fantastic. If you stretch your budget to $900k or so, you might be able to find a late-80s/early-90s home in Spring Valley or Hilshire Village. Or for under $800k, you could get a fully-renovated older 1960s ranch or 1970s contemporary in one of these Villages.

Old 03-06-2017, 11:15 AM

156 posts, read 283,816 times
Live right there, West of Wirt, right South of Long Point, I go running at 5 am in a neighborhood right by my community. Feels super safe, in fact I'm not the only one out there at that time!

Yes it's odd to be so close to some of the retail but it's Houston! We are zoned to Valley Oaks and Memorial High, our zoned middle school is not great but we can transfer to Spring Branch. The free standing homes are expensive but with a budget around 800K there are lots of options. Hedwig village is beautiful, so many trees. We went with a newly built, high density community over the more traditional neighborhoods and it has been a good fit for our family (2 elem aged kids). The area has lots of parks, sidewalks everywhere and Spring Branch ISD is very highly thought of.

This area was a popular topic a few months back, if you search the forum you can probably find those posts. With Shell relocating from DT to the Energy Coord there has been lots of interest in the area.

Old 03-10-2017, 07:36 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,520,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTWRunner View Post
Hedwig village is beautiful, so many trees. We went with a newly built, high density community over the more traditional neighborhoods and it has been a good fit for our family (2 elem aged kids). The area has lots of parks, sidewalks everywhere and Spring Branch ISD is very highly thought of.

This area was a popular topic a few months back, if you search the forum you can probably find those posts. With Shell relocating from DT to the Energy Coord there has been lots of interest in the area.
Hedwig Village is not in Spring Branch. Spring Branch is north of I-10. Hedwig Village is south of I-10. I don't know why there is so much confusion, but Spring Branch has clear boundaries (you can look up at Google Maps).

Of course it should be safe in 800K area. Especially if 800K is only a lower end, and most houses south of I-10 in Hedwig Village area are within 1-2.5 mil range. But this is not Spring Branch.

Old 03-10-2017, 07:40 AM

986 posts, read 1,271,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
Hedwig Village is not in Spring Branch. Spring Branch is north of I-10. Hedwig Village is south of I-10. I don't know why there is so much confusion, but Spring Branch has clear boundaries (you can look up at Google Maps).

Of course it should be safe in 800K area. Especially if 800K is only a lower end, and most houses south of I-10 in Hedwig Village area are within 1-2.5 mil range. But this is not Spring Branch.
They probably meant Hilshire Village?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston