Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2013, 05:22 PM

2 posts, read 58,457 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to raise my garage roof about 4ft so I can install a lift. Its a 2 1/2 car detached (wood on all 4 sides)and is unfinished on the inside. Would it be better to maybe change the one side of the roof to accommodate the added height I will need? Or just lift the whole thing? Can anyone recommend a contractor on the SE side of town?

Thank you

Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 09:45 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,264,045 times
Default To code, or "side job"?

It will be expensive, especially if you live within the City of Houston, permits would be required, remodels are typically more expensive than new construction. I'm not suggesting you do this, but if you do live in Houston, you can find 'contractors' who can whip this out in one, or two days. It is not a lot of work for a crew of 6, or 8 guys (Pedro and Jesus crews). An eight man crew can frame a two story garage from scratch in 8 hours or less including a stair case.

You can reframe the entire roof, which would be expensive as you would in essence be replacing the roof, so the cost of a new roof, plus framing. If a new roof is about 4K, then the materials and labor would run another 3-4K, so about 8K or so would be my guess.

One option is to re-use the existing roof, but you would have to rent a crane for a weekend to lift the old roof while new framing is installed, then lower and reattach the roof. The type of crane you would need are not cheap to rent for the day. I know someone who did this, but he owned his own construction company; he had an apartment added on top of his garage.

Doing only a portion to allow for your lift would be the cheapest, but I think you would be happier with a higher clearance all around, and if it has to be inspected, you may not have a choice really. Don't get caught doing work without a permit, it could get very expensive, and the city could red tag your garage, or even house and open up a can of worms.

Good luck.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:51 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,029,032 times
Just how low is the current ceiling? I've got a standard 10K lb 2 post lift and it requires about 11' of ceiling height and I could adjust that down if I wanted to. You might want to look at the price of a low clearance lift before you start messing with the garage.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:57 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,549,309 times
maybe you can dig 2'
I'm also looking to get a lift, hopefully in the next house I buy

Old 07-04-2013, 06:14 PM

2 posts, read 58,457 times
I know a guy who owns a crane company so that might be an option. I need to go through a newly constructed neighborhood and see if I can find a framing crew that does side work. I have about 9ft of clearance so a low profile lift might be a possibility. If I can move a few support beams to clear the roof of the car it would defiantly work. I also found out I have a uncle that is a architect. Im going to ask him for some insight Digging probably would not be an option

Old 07-05-2013, 03:44 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,869,623 times
Depending on the construction you can possibly just reframe the joists to give you an opening in the center of the garage. The builder of ours (a 31x31 garage) basically told me the joists just hold the walls together as they were installed on 48" centers and that I could easily remove 10' from a couple of them, frame around the opening, and have a good 10'x12' opening that is about 14' tall for a lift. It has been on my agenda for several years now. Of course I would have an engineer or architect look at it first before I cut anything!

Good luck!

Old 07-05-2013, 04:05 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,549,309 times
I saw a listing in the Katy area where he put an apartment on top of his detached garage. Maybe you research that or ask the owner of that house. Seach har with "guest house"

Old 03-11-2017, 07:49 AM

2 posts, read 17,428 times
I live in NH and would like to raise roof of two car garage to be able to install a hydrolic lift as a surprise
for my significant other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston