Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 07:09 PM

6,288 posts, read 7,492,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Southern Living would have been better served by picking SPI, Port Aransas or even Surfside. The beaches are better and the towns and homes are better cared for and maintained.
No I think they got it right, those places can't compare in architecture or even vibrancy outside of spring break crowds once a year. And the beaches are not that much better if at all, certainly not worth the extra 3 to 7 hour drive to get there.Besides Galveston was chosen by polling their readers not some board of arbitration..

Last edited by Jack Lance; 03-15-2017 at 07:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2017, 07:41 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,941,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
No I think they got it right, those places can't compare in architecture or even vibrancy outside of spring break crowds once a year. And the beaches are not that much better if at all, certainly not worth the extra 3 to 7 hour drive to get there.Besides Galveston was chosen by polling their readers not some board of arbitration..
We'll just have to agree to disagree. There is some nice architecture in Galveston, but unfortunately that architecture is not the norm. Galveston is run-down overall. Many of the property owners there don't seem to care much about maintaining their properties.

Everytime I visit Galveston I get a definite "this place has seen better days" vibe.

Old 03-16-2017, 07:55 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,783,535 times
I have to agree with WB. Galveston is a charming place, but is a lot like Houston in that it hasn't lived up to its potential. There are parts of the island that are beautiful but much of the city itself is an eyesore.

Old 03-16-2017, 08:37 AM

836 posts, read 1,119,079 times
There are a lot of really nice beach homes. So somebody has money.

Go to the Texas City **** (haven't been there in years) and I think you have to walk on the rocks to get to the water in most places.

Go to Galveston, and you actually have some sand to walk on.

Old 03-16-2017, 08:44 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,261,035 times
I really like Galveston, Its a dump in all the right ways. I mean this sincerely.

Old 03-16-2017, 09:03 AM

6,288 posts, read 7,492,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
We'll just have to agree to disagree. There is some nice architecture in Galveston, but unfortunately that architecture is not the norm. Galveston is run-down overall. Many of the property owners there don't seem to care much about maintaining their properties.

Everytime I visit Galveston I get a definite "this place has seen better days" vibe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
I have to agree with WB. Galveston is a charming place, but is a lot like Houston in that it hasn't lived up to its potential. There are parts of the island that are beautiful but much of the city itself is an eyesore.

This is to both of you ,Lets do the Google Maps thing, show me examples of this run down blight that you speak of ?

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.2721...8i6656!6m1!1e1 looks good to me

Old 03-16-2017, 10:55 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,783,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
This is to both of you ,Lets do the Google Maps thing, show me examples of this run down blight that you speak of ?

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.2721...8i6656!6m1!1e1 looks good to me
Now show the rest of Seawall Blvd. that's filled with strip malls and chains.

Old 03-16-2017, 11:22 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,004,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Now show the rest of Seawall Blvd. that's filled with strip malls and chains.
Then that is just your personal tastes. I thought you were talking about blight not just the fact that there are chain stores and strip malls. If they're not unkempt and battered then what is the issue? That you're just another type that thinks a strip mall is objectively unaestheticly pleasing?

Old 03-16-2017, 11:23 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,004,423 times
There's no pleasing folks. Again it's this having to level any sort of pride with this supposed objective outsider's look which is essentially just a complex against any state pride no matter how small, compromising or reasonable it is.

Old 03-16-2017, 11:37 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,941,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Then that is just your personal tastes.
Everything ultimately comes down to personal taste. Galveston is no exception. Treasurevalley stated the reason he or she likes Galveston is because of its dumpy characteristics. I get the point. It does portray a relaxed or unconcerned attitude that I can see as being consistent with the beach culture.

Galveston is fascinating for how polarizing it is. Some people absolutely love it and others think it's a dumpy armpit. At the very least, people have to give it credit for not being fake.

Full disclosure, I'm more of a mountain than a beach guy to begin with. I don't really understand the draw of sitting on a beach. For what it's worth, a large part of my vacation satisfaction is dependent on how aesthetically pleasing it is to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston