Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 09:29 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,070,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisrock View Post
West U Elementary is the only one I've paid close attention to, but I have heard Pershing & others might have similar issues.
In 2010 about 1/3rd of Pershing students were not zoned to the school. I think the overall student population has remained the same number, but I'm not sure. Pin Oak (the middle school neighborhood option), as far as I know, isn't wildly overcrowded. As for Lamar High, it's getting a brand new addition to campus. On the secondary facility end I think West U's well-covered for now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2017, 06:50 PM

24 posts, read 26,859 times
My family and I willl likely be moving to Houston in the summer of 2018 and are also considering West U and Memorial Villages. This thread has been a great source of information.

We have three children, who will be entering grades 9, 7, and 4 in September 2018. West U sounds very appealing, but we are somewhat worried about the school situation (beyond elementary). Any thoughts on Lamar? Do most families in West U send their kids to private for middle school and high school? Any thoughts on private school options (preferably non-religious ones)?

Thanks.

Old 07-16-2017, 09:55 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,734,008 times
Lanier and Lamar are considered good schools.

Old 07-16-2017, 10:42 PM

569 posts, read 1,078,569 times
If you can purchase a home zoned to Memorlal Middle School or Spring Branch Middle and Memorial High School, you will be well set! These are highly desirable public schools. If you still feel the need to go private with a non-religious school, there is The Kinkaid School (located adjacent to the Memorial Villages), but the application process is highly selective and it starts almost a year before your move.
http://www.kinkaid.org/admission/ap

All of the public schools zoned to the Memorial Villages (especially south of I-10) are excellent. No need for private. Schools in Texas start in August. You really need to plan to be in Houston before September. Others can elaborate a bit more on how school districts work when it comes to enrollment/registering your kids. You can search this forum on this topic as well.

Old 07-16-2017, 11:47 PM

I haven't found a source that gives a % of public vs. private. I know a lot of West U families send their kids to other public schools in HISD. Pershing Middle is the default zoned school, but as of 2010 many send their kids to Pin Oak and Lanier.

Parents start blog supporting option to attend Pershing MS - Houston Chronicle

Quote:
Fine arts magnet Pershing Middle School, 3838 Blue Bonnet Blvd., is the natural next step for West U., but instead of filling up with students from its feeder schools, about one-third of Pershing's 1,800-student enrollment is open for kids from outside the attendance zone. That nearly equals the number of West U. students whose parents endure a lottery system to enroll them in Lanier or Pin Oak middle schools, the two moms write in a new blog they started on Sept. 12 to discuss the issue.
One third of 1,800 is 600, so that means about 600 kids zoned to West U elementary attended either Lanier or Pin Oak. See West U Elementary's boundary: http://www.houstonisd.org/cms/lib2/T...versity_ES.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by frumble View Post
We have three children, who will be entering grades 9, 7, and 4 in September 2018. West U sounds very appealing, but we are somewhat worried about the school situation (beyond elementary). Any thoughts on Lamar? Do most families in West U send their kids to private for middle school and high school? Any thoughts on private school options (preferably non-religious ones)?

Old 07-17-2017, 08:06 AM

24 posts, read 26,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTownNearNative View Post
If you can purchase a home zoned to Memorlal Middle School or Spring Branch Middle and Memorial High School, you will be well set! These are highly desirable public schools. If you still feel the need to go private with a non-religious school, there is The Kinkaid School (located adjacent to the Memorial Villages), but the application process is highly selective and it starts almost a year before your move.
http://www.kinkaid.org/admission/ap

All of the public schools zoned to the Memorial Villages (especially south of I-10) are excellent. No need for private. Schools in Texas start in August. You really need to plan to be in Houston before September. Others can elaborate a bit more on how school districts work when it comes to enrollment/registering your kids. You can search this forum on this topic as well.
Yes, if we end up buying in the Villages, south of I-10, we will be set, and won't be considering private.

But we are also considering West U, and that is why I was asking about private. If we go with West U, we are not sure we would be ok with the public middle or high school, and may have to consider private.

Anyone have any direct or indirect experience with, or thoughts on, Pershing or Lamar?
Anyone have any experience with or thoughts on local private options?

Vicman and chris_ut,
Thanks for the info re Lanier. If you are zoned to Pershing, do you have a decent chance of getting your kid enrolled at Lanier via the lottery?

Old 07-17-2017, 08:21 AM
bu2

24,080 posts, read 14,875,404 times
Quote:
Yes, if we end up buying in the Villages, south of I-10, we will be set, and won't be considering private.

But we are also considering West U, and that is why I was asking about private. If we go with West U, we are not sure we would be ok with the public middle or high school, and may have to consider private.

Anyone have any direct or indirect experience with, or thoughts on, Pershing or Lamar?

Vicman and chris_ut,
Thanks for the info re Lanier. If you are zoned to Pershing, do you have a decent chance of getting your kid enrolled at Lanier via the lottery?
There definitely seems to be a decent chance of getting into Pin Oak from our friends who have done it.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:48 AM
bu2

24,080 posts, read 14,875,404 times
Quote:

Vicman and chris_ut,
And there is a thread on Pershing on the front page that may give you more insight on Pershing.

Old 07-18-2017, 09:42 AM

280 posts, read 383,725 times
I'm going to say that in West U /Southside that over half the kids go private. However I think both Pin Oak and Lamar are fine options. We did not choose those options but have quite a few friends who did and their kids are all in the colleges of their choice and seem to be thriving. It might be easier to get an admit to UT or A&M by choosing Lamar if your kid is a good student (probably can crack the top 7/10% threshold easier than at a private school).

Old 07-18-2017, 10:26 AM

Are private school kids even eligible for top 7/10%? I had the impression they weren't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAROON79 View Post
I'm going to say that in West U /Southside that over half the kids go private. However I think both Pin Oak and Lamar are fine options. We did not choose those options but have quite a few friends who did and their kids are all in the colleges of their choice and seem to be thriving. It might be easier to get an admit to UT or A&M by choosing Lamar if your kid is a good student (probably can crack the top 7/10% threshold easier than at a private school).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston