Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 07:42 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,792,275 times

Advertisements

This is exactly the problem (one of them) with this country. I am TIRED of giving out free stuff, my own hard earned money. Humanitarian cause yes, big ticket items absolutely yes, freeloaders HELL NO.

This is personal to me. I am an immigrant. Both my families , inlaws and my own are here as well, recently arrived (less than 12 years) and we managed to legally convert their assets into a decent life style and good health care coverage. Did we beat or cheat the system? Absolutely not. We paid every penny and followed every law. And yes there are elegant ways to take care of your family but is not free, that's for sure. And after all is set in done, legally, we still got the best deal EVER. USA rules but you have to put in in order to take out. No free loaders, that's for sure. I am sick and tired of seeing people, countries, taking advantage of USA. We do help, we mean well, we can't solve world hunger, simply put just don't rip us off.

Last edited by ethanw; 03-27-2017 at 07:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2017, 06:45 AM

632 posts, read 1,180,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
This is exactly the problem (one of them) with this country. I am TIRED of giving out free stuff, my own hard earned money. Humanitarian cause yes, big ticket items absolutely yes, freeloaders HELL NO.

This is personal to me. I am an immigrant. Both my families , inlaws and my own are here as well, recently arrived (less than 12 years) and we managed to legally convert their assets into a decent life style and good health care coverage. Did we beat or cheat the system? Absolutely not. We paid every penny and followed every law. And yes there are elegant ways to take care of your family but is not free, that's for sure. And after all is set in done, legally, we still got the best deal EVER. USA rules but you have to put in in order to take out. No free loaders, that's for sure. I am sick and tired of seeing people, countries, taking advantage of USA. We do help, we mean well, we can't solve world hunger, simply put just don't rip us off.

I hear you loud and clear! Unfortunately abuse of aid is prevalent and might not even show up on statistics whenever people point out that welfare abuse is less than <1% or whatever.

Coming from the Asian community this isn't anything new. The sheer number of people who purposefully over stay their Visa, exploit every possible loop hole to get some form of aid, etc is absurd and astounding when you see it first hand.

Other problem is if you try to report it your concern goes nowhere. Also whenever the government gives something out to a vast majority who didn't put money into the system but can still benefit...its nearly impossible to take away (e.g. Obamacare).

Some may think I'm being dramatic but I can't help but feel upset and angry at what goes on. Specific to Houston there is a shocking amount of corruption that extends to the highest office yet it goes under reported.

Old 03-28-2017, 08:51 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,997,888 times
Is part of the problem that many immigrants are coming from countries with socialized medicine and other freebies so it's more of an expectation rather than intent to rip off? Of course people who come here sponsored by a long time us tesident family member should be forewarned that everything isn't handed out here like at home.

Old 03-28-2017, 08:55 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,662,905 times
My parents moved here to TX from another state and have been living with us for 3 years. We pay for everything for them but health insurance and cell phone. They get nothing free. Why should your parents? My parents are citizens that worked in this country and paid taxes for decades. And they still pay for health insurance now in their late 60s.

Old 03-28-2017, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Is part of the problem that many immigrants are coming from countries with socialized medicine and other freebies so it's more of an expectation rather than intent to rip off? Of course people who come here sponsored by a long time us tesident family member should be forewarned that everything isn't handed out here like at home.
Its quite the opposite. Pakistan and India AFAIK don't have any forms of welfare like we do in the US. Hell in most hospitals you have to pay first otherwise you're not treated or have to go to a ****ty government hospital. Either ways, if you can't pay or someone else doesn't pay for you you either suck it up, die, or are treated in a crappy government hospital that makes Ben Taub look like paradise.

The biggest problem is the heard mentality. When someone you know is able to make $150,000 a year yet have his kids on Texas CHIP and parents on a Gold Card why wouldn't you try to screw the system over because, hey this guy is screwing the system too?!?!

Its absolutely disgusting and sickening and a lot of these folks seem to have lost their pride and mind now that they have made it in the US.

America of today is vastly different than the 80s when my Dad came. He worked 12+ hour shifts and worked so often that it took a customer complaint to the labor department before his boss decided to force him to take breaks since he often worked all day and night at times.

All the while he made very little but did the work because it was the only job he could find. Nowadays we have people who engage in illegal businesses (i.e. Slot gambling machines in gas stations) where employees make a cut of the proceeds and are making vastly larger sums than my Dad did.

They do all this under the table and are often here illegally. These people don't give a damn because they fly under the radar and being in a sanctuary city they are shielded from ICE.

I'm rambling at this point but what goes on behind the scenes in Houston is a tragedy and will make you realize why we're in the situation we're in.

Not all is honky dory in Houston. Same can be said for America.

Old 03-28-2017, 10:19 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,429,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
As it should. That's what it means to "sponsor" someone.

My mother emigrated here from Germany years before World War II. She had to be sponsored by an American citizen (her uncle) who agreed to be responsible for her healthcare and for any and all expenses she might incur. He also agreed to be held liable if she committed any crimes.

She got a job in New York right away as a live-in nanny for a doctor. She learned English while being a nanny for 5 years. Then she went to nursing school and later became a realtor. She became an American citizen as soon as she could and was a productive member of American society for 70+ years.

I'm not against immigrants but I wonder why most of them dont seem to have the same sense of responsibility. I guess it's because we've projected the image of our country as a land where the streets are paved with Gold Medical Cards, free food and board and free everything else -- also how we bend over backwards not to offend anyone except the hard-working citizens who made this country great.

Old 03-28-2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
My mother emigrated here from Germany years before World War II. She had to be sponsored by an American citizen (her uncle) who agreed to be responsible for her healthcare and for any and all expenses she might incur. He also agreed to be held liable if she committed any crimes.

She got a job in New York right away as a live-in nanny for a doctor. She learned English while being a nanny for 5 years. Then she went to nursing school and later became a realtor. She became an American citizen as soon as she could and was a productive member of American society for 70+ years.

I'm not against immigrants but I wonder why most of them dont seem to have the same sense of responsibility. I guess it's because we've projected the image of our country as a land where the streets are paved with Gold Medical Cards, free food and board and free everything else -- also how we bend over backwards not to offend anyone except the hard-working citizens who made this country great.

This is part of why I think voters were attracted to Trump (in bold). We are made to feel bad by Democrats and others who benefit from something (i.e. Latinos who benefit from both illegal and legal immigration) if we stand against something.

You want to limit welfare and put restrictions on those who are given aid but do drugs, commit crime, etc? - Oh you're a racist who hates poor people

You want enforcement of immigration rules and are against any form of benefits for illegals? - You're a racist who hates Mexicans and everyone is an immigrant blah blah blah

Take a look at refugees who are running off to Canada. Want to guess why? Because Canada gives you benefits that they can't get here (or at least not as much)

I've grown tired of arguing my points with people. Only way to get the left/liberals to understand is force them to house illegal immigrants and or refugees and be responsible for their action...bet it won't take long before they change their mind!

Old 03-28-2017, 11:49 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,429,067 times
I dont want to derail this thread, RedRage, but I agree totally.

My mother's uncle had to fill out a lot of paperwork before she was approved to come over here. Yes, she had to have prior approval from the USA to emigrate to here. It took months for the paperwork to go through. None of the just showing up that happens nowadays. And she wasnt allowed to request any help, financial or otherwise, from the government or even from local groups. She had to make it on her own, with help from her uncle for a limited time.

Old 03-28-2017, 02:26 PM

2,858 posts, read 2,171,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post

So where can people like OP's parents buy insurance if they want to play by the rules according to you? Is it one of the exchanges on the ACA? If that goes away then where?
Can you share more information about the great deal that you got?

Old 03-28-2017, 02:39 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
So where can people like OP's parents buy insurance if they want to play by the rules according to you? Is it one of the exchanges on the ACA? If that goes away then where?
Why should they be allowed to buy insurance at all? Insurance is just getting others to pay for what you are unable or unwilling to pay for yourself. That $50k operation costs *somebody* $50k. Why should Americans have to pay $49k of it so an immigrant, who never paid premiums into the pool when they were young and healthy, can draw from the pool being older? It's estimated that the vast majority of your healthcare expenses occur in the last years of your life.

If a private insurer wants to take that bet and sell them a policy that's one thing, but they shouldn't be barred under ACA or any other law from excluding them from the pool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: