Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2006, 01:46 PM

56 posts, read 228,591 times

Advertisements

Looking to move to one of these towns in the summer from Baton Rouge, La. I have read all of the posts regarding all of these locations....Im just trying to narrow it down before taking a trip over there to make a final decision. I am leaning more towards the Clear Lake area because I like the fact that they have so many activities all the time and close to beach, outdoor life, but in some of the previous posts i have read that there is alot of "keeping up with the joneses" attitude and I dont like that. My husbands children live with their mother in Kingwood and they like it there as well but his kids say there is ALOT of caddiness and spoiled rich kids there. Im sure you will find this with every city but Im just trying to find somewhere that they will feel comfortable and feel like they fit in.

I have 3 children ages 14, 12, 7 so good schools are a must, but being from lousiana, anything will be better A good football team is also very important to my 12 year old.

Any more input would be appreciated....

Also, what is the difference between Webster/Clear Lake? Is this the same area?

Thanks!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2006, 06:49 PM

23,014 posts, read 34,374,307 times
Clear Lake is a nice area, Webster and Clear Lake are really the same place to me. The older homes are reasonable I think, about $135,000 or less. Don't worry about the keeping up the Jones no matter where you live. I don't know about the schools but there are nice places to shop and eat here.

Old 12-03-2006, 11:01 PM

449 posts, read 1,698,564 times
We're looking at Clear Lake, Webster and Friendswood too - I've heard similar things about the kids but I'm sure there are friendly kids too. Schools seem to be good. I visited several years ago and if I recall they all kind of run into each other so its hard to tell where one ends and another starts. I do agree there's a lot to do in that area, it's why I'd like to live there.

I'm trying to find out about apartment rentals - There are only a few listed in the Houston Chronicle and the 2BR on rentnet, etc are $800 and up. Do other ones advertise in another paper? Is it best to go through a realtor? wait and drive around?
I wouldn't rent before we move. would like to see if cheaper ones are available - an older place or converted house is fine.

Old 12-12-2006, 10:36 AM

9 posts, read 37,339 times
HELLO! Just want to say I think you'd love the Clear Lake area. I know I do! We moved a year and half ago from Oklahoma. Husband commuted to work for YEARS!! Living small town with a 5 and 15 year old seemed safe, yet boring. I would not consider a move to Houston. Not knowing any better I thought it was all crime, gangs, traffic and miles of concrete. Boy, was I ever wrong. Houston has suburbs! Started our search for housing the wrong way though, with classified ads. Headed west to Katy, hit construction turned around. Headed north to The Woodlands, turned around. Didnt think I could take the traffic daily. Went as far east as we could and hit a small place called Seabrook, happy to say were still here! We sit right on the water of the gulf, right east of the Webster/Clear Lake area(15 min. drive). Friendly small home town feeling where people smile and wave at you. say hi to a stranger and mean it. Parks galore and walk/run/bike trails seem a way of life here. Super elementary school w/parent involement. Beautiful homes and lush landscape. After the kids are off to school I enjoy my coffee as I look over the bay watching the tide roll in as seaguls search for food and ask myself, "Now where in Oklahoma can you ever see such a wonderful sight?" You gotta check us out, promise you will like what you see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston