U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 03:02 PM

217 posts, read 637,194 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am a single, gay, male in his early 40s considering a move to Houston or Atlanta. I would love to hear from both gay and heterosexual people who have experiences with the gay cultures in each of these cities, and who might be able to list some of the pros and cons for me. I would want to live in the city, NOT in a suburb. Thanks much!
Rate this post positively

Old 12-03-2006, 08:10 PM

2,611 posts, read 8,264,709 times
Houston has a very large and very diverse Gay community. One of the biggest differences I would note, vs. Dallas & I think Atlanta to some extent, is that the community is not as concentrated in one area. Montrose is still considered the gay part of town by many, but in actuality it is more where the bars are, but isn't so much where everybody lives anymore.

Montrose has its strong Gay presence, but there is also a very strong representation in the Heights, to the north, which spilled over into the neighboring communities of Timbergrove, Lazybrook & Garden Oaks. Those area, as is typical with ones the community "adopts," have become fairly pricey, driving many of the single gay buyers, (without the benefit of dual incomes) into new territories such as Oak Forest, Idylwood, Glenbrook Valley & Westbury. You can probably google these subdivision names and come up with websites. Westbury is what I would describe as a "first ring suburb" with ranch and mid-century modern style houses. It is a huge suburb with 5000 homes. There is an organization called WAGL which is the Westbury Association of Gays & Lesbians which supposedly has over 600 members. Westbury can get in you a nice 3 bedroom 2 bath that is renovated for under $200k Idylwood has some really cute bungalows at some of the better prices for the inner loop. Glenbrook offers monsterous mid-century moderns and ranchers for some incredible prices.

In a nutshell, there is tons of Gay organizations here. Everything from a variety of Gay churches to bowling & softball leagues, car clubs, you name it. Dallas, Atlanta or Houston would all be decent choices and each has its strong points. I personally think Houston overall is more open than the other two, but maybe I am prejudiced in favor of my hometown! Houston is a very livable city. Big Gay community, affordable places to live, Galveston is close by, (which many, many Gays have bought second homes there), restaurants are plentiful and varied. there is just a lot. Gay or straight Houston seems geared to welcome new-comers. Sometimes it seems like no one is an actual native from here, so people tend to be more open and friendly to new comers.

Old 12-03-2006, 10:18 PM

Hi Modster,

Thanks much for your input. Actually, I currently live in San Antonio, and it's a total bust as far as gay life goes. (Okay, not a total bust, but it has to be the closet-case capital of the USA). I came to San Antonio for a job. Did I just happen to land in the worst Texas gay city possible?

Old 12-04-2006, 07:30 AM

2,611 posts, read 8,264,709 times
San Antonio is a lot different from Houston in that respect, (and among others). There just doesn't seem to be a sense of community there like you have in Dallas, Houston or Atlanta.

Old 12-04-2006, 10:27 AM

Thanks for yours. I think the reason for this might be that for a gay culture to take off (as evidenced by gay organizations), there has to be money invested. San Antonio is very much a blue collar city (as compared to Houston from what I can tell), so there's not that money put into it. Plus, gay Latinos (SA very Latino as we all know) tend to be more closeted than Anglo gays in general (Latinos very family-oriented, more stigma being "out," etc.), so that would account for their increased invisibility. That is why I don't think that SA gay culture would ever improve. Most of their organizations have actually closed down.

Old 12-04-2006, 04:24 PM

84 posts, read 733,754 times
Default Diverse Houston

My wife and I moved to Houston from San Francisco and were worried about moving to Texas since we were used to an 'anything goes' attitude and the diversity present on the west coast. Most people in San Francisco are petrified of Texas and in my experience, after being here for 6 years the rumors of worse than average racism are not true. At least not in the greater Houston area. The city is very diverse and is actually very similar in atitude to the west coast. My co-worker, who is gay says he likes Houston because the Montrose area is a lot like the Castro in San Francisco with a large gay population. Of course like anywhere else though I am sure there are people around that are not as open. Good luck

Old 12-04-2006, 09:24 PM

Thanks bmglab,

Every bit of info helps. Yeah, San Antonio is nothing like Houston then. It's very backward and conservative here, and "diversity" has one face. Thanks.

Old 06-25-2007, 10:42 PM

5 posts, read 27,813 times
Hey Robert,

I'm still here in SF, and taking a look around at other cities too. Have chatted with a fellow online who lives in Dallas, and he had almost nothing bad to say about it. Which is how I ended up here. From the reading I've done, it looks like the people who aren't obsessing about which town has the prettier skyline, or the best weather are leaning just a little toward Houston. Although a fair number have said both cities are great. Would love to compare notes with you. I'm new to the site, and am still figuring out just how this thing works. Kirk

Old 04-30-2010, 01:09 PM

3 posts, read 13,216 times
houston is the best. I WOULD LOVE TO SEE WEST HOLLYWOOD SOME DAY ! for the gay sin city like montrose, but oh so small.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:17 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,468,037 times
Montrose isn't as gay as people make it out to be, although it is the place to find the gay bars/clubs and businesses. It is mainly a shopping and entertainment district.

It isn't anything especially noteworthy. South Beach, the most popular gay club in town, is like any gay club you might find anywhere, with the same type of Madonna remixes and dancers in underwear, same type of crowd... I'm sure you could find the same thing in Dallas or Atlanta or any other city of size.

Montrose hosts a pretty large gay pride parade every summer.

Houston is about as tolerant as any other city of decent size in America. You will find some people who hate gays and some people who have irrational ideas about shopping with them and decorating their houses and stuff. Some people truly don't care.

One thing about Montrose is that it isn't like other gay neighborhoods in America, such as the one in, say, San Francisco. You don't exactly see gay couples making out on the streets at night or anything. Actually, I think that sort of behavior would attract trouble even in Montrose, unless you are immediately in front of a gay club or bar or at the parade.

Montrose gets a reputation as being a walkable urban oasis but I think it is far from it. You really don't see many people walking through there at all unless it is between the clothing shops (American Apparel, Buffalo Exchange, etc..all across the street from each other) or from their cars to the clubs.

Heights gets a repuation for being gay friendly but I really have no idea why. I've never seen any gay establishments or anything there. It seems to want to portray itself as being more artsy than anything else.

There was once a gay church in Houston but it was closed and turned into townhomes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston